how to prevent hiss from speakers

Marius

Re: how to prevent hiss from speakers
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jun 2016, 11:39 am »
HI James,

Dead quiet sounds good.
I would think BP26+28B+ModelT is not 'some system'. Thats why i dared to ask again.

Ear to the tweeter, well, that might be the case. Still, it most certainly doesn't qualify as dead quiet.

Mafico read along and already offered to try another bp26, which if course I excepted gladly.

Thanks for your efforts, and please let me know which logistics would be needed for Mike to do his testing and maybe adjusting?

Marius

Hi Marius

No the BP-26 matches the 28B's very well.  I have 3 setups in my home and they are dead quiet.  I guess on some systems you might hear some hiss if you put your ear to the tweeter.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #41 on: 14 Jun 2016, 11:54 am »
HI James,

Dead quiet sounds good.
I would think BP26+28B+ModelT is not 'some system'. Thats why i dared to ask again.

Ear to the tweeter, well, that might be the case. Still, it most certainly doesn't qualify as dead quiet.

Mafico read along and already offered to try another bp26, which if course I excepted gladly.

Thanks for your efforts, and please let me know which logistics would be needed for Mike to do his testing and maybe adjusting?

Marius

I would have Mafico try your BP26 in their system as well to see if it has any issues. 

james

Marius

« Reply #42 on: 14 Jun 2016, 11:56 am »
I would have Mafico try your BP26 in their system as well to see if it has any issues. 

james

Check, good suggestion, i'll consult Mafico. Thx James.

Wim J

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jun 2016, 12:27 pm »
I will check this evening, but I'm quite sure there is some very light hiss from my speakers as well. Ear close to tweeter of course!
MPS-2 / BP-26 / 3BBST2 / BDA-2 / BCD-1 /BDP-1

All connections are balanced, and so is mains (2*115V , 5kVA, 100% ED)

Marius

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm »
HI James,

Today a new BP26 and MSP2  were delivered for testing purposes. Thank you Bryston/Mafico for that exemplary service!

Of course i hooked them up immediately, and only them, no sources or other machines plugged in, power direct from my dedicated outlet, to be sure no other distortions could be made.

It became immediately apparent that the new machines make the exact same hissing sound though...

I was mistaken in the other post about the 2v and 1v settings, as James suspected already, sorry for that mixup. Though i still don't understand how the 2v setting is quieter than the 1v? Anyway, i have the 28b's on 2v always.

I tested the hissing on James' 'ear to the tweeter' remark, all i can say is that at 1v the hiss is clearly audible at 50cm's, 2v a bit less.

So something must be not 100% optimal between the 28b's and the bp26.

To be in line with your other suggestion James, I've already contacted Mafico for an exchange, so they can check it at their facilities. Asked if they check the source selector as well, the new bp26 has another feel all together, not to mention really is dead quiet, where as mine always scratches and doesn't really stick firmly between sources. Reported on that earlier.

Cool Mafico is taking this so seriously now, and i'm confident all will end well.
Very interested in your advice about the hissing though, checking the noise floor should be done on both machines ;-)

Cheers, Marius

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:11 pm »
Hi Marius

I have the same setup with 28B's and unless I have my ear to the speaker I do not hear excessive hiss so I really do not know what to advise at this point other than lowering the gain in the BP26 by 6dB.

James

Marius

« Reply #46 on: 17 Jun 2016, 04:29 pm »
HI James,

Maybe it all depends on the definition of 'excessive'.
Dead silent is no hiss. Absolute.
Excessive hiss is relative, and very personal indeed.
Personally if prefer dead silent. To be honest, I feel any hiss would be excessive from this combo, which of course is designed bottom up to belong together.

What would lowering the gain by 6db entail? Is that action reversible, and, most importantly, would it affect the overall sound? Is the effect comparable to the 2v and 1v switch on the 28B?

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

I have the same setup with 28B's and unless I have my ear to the speaker I do not hear excessive hiss so I really do not know what to advise at this point other than lowering the gain in the BP26 by 6dB.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 17 Jun 2016, 05:43 pm »
HI James,

Personally if prefer dead silent. To be honest, I feel any hiss would be excessive from this combo, which of course is designed bottom up to belong together.

What would lowering the gain by 6db entail? Is that action reversible, and, most importantly, would it affect the overall sound? Is the effect comparable to the 2v and 1v switch on the 28B?

Cheers,
Marius

HI

That would be a MIke question but it is a hardware change and we have done it for customers with very efficient Horn speakers.

james

Wim J

« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:25 pm »
HI James,

Cheers,
Marius

The only  correct way to determin noise and hiss is with short inputs. An open input wit nothing connected might act as an antenne.  So you cold get noise, hiss, and/of hum  at the speakers. When you put a shorted cinch connector  at the selected input the voltage across the input is 0 Volts. If you amplify/multiple 0  by no matter what it stays 0. So no hiss  . You could do this for the pre /amp as a combo of for the amp seperatly . If you have hiss,  it's the amp. If not it's something 'in the air'

werd

« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2016, 06:29 pm »
Just of curiosity Marius are you running XLR or RCA?

Try using RCA straight into the BP26 from your the source. Go right into tape monitor and set it to tape monitor. That will help narrow the problem down if it exists around the preamp. It will likely quiet the hiss too.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2016, 01:19 am by werd »

Marius

« Reply #50 on: 18 Jun 2016, 10:05 am »
Just of curiosity Marius are you running XLR or RCA?
XLR

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #51 on: 18 Jun 2016, 04:02 pm »
Hello, Marius.

I sent you a PM. Perhaps you need to remove a couple old PMs to create space for my new PM(?).

Regards,

Michael

Marius

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jun 2016, 05:47 pm »
Sure, i got it.
Didnt have time to follow it up yet, maybe you just send the mail to this forum please, so other can read it too?

Cheers,
Marius

Hello, Marius.

I sent you a PM. Perhaps you need to remove a couple old PMs to create space for my new PM(?).

Regards,

Michael

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: 18 Jun 2016, 06:18 pm »
...Hiss is usually transistor or component capacitor noise..... 
...I tested the hissing on James' 'ear to the tweeter' remark, all i can say is that at 1v the hiss is clearly audible at 50cm's, 2v a bit less.....
Marius,
It is not uncommon for SS preamplifiers to generate some transistor "hiss".  As James suggested, he can reduce gain to 6db from 10db. As well as reducing the hiss, you'll be able to turn the volume pot a little past the 8-9:00 area you're probably in now. I see on the Bryston website the PDF of the schematic for the preamp.  A local tech could easily make this change for you.  Someone just did this to a SS preamp I was trying out for them (one they designed and built) in my system.  However my system has 100db efficient speakers, and the hiss was audible to me from the listening position about 6-7 feet away.  Now, I say "to me" because the fellow who built the preamp couldn't hear the hiss till he got to about 75cm from the speakers.  "Dead silent" is completely subjective.

If you can't hear the hiss further away than 50-70cm in a quiet room, you're good. If you hear it at 6-8 ft away (or the listening position), then consider reducing gain in the preamp. I guess someone else would have mentioned it, but a manual for your amps says they have 23db/29db switchable gain.  Clearly, you'd want to be on 23db if that's an option. Reducing system gain (and noise) must be why that switch is there.

Also noticed this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44101.0

werd

« Reply #54 on: 19 Jun 2016, 01:22 am »
XLR

Hello

This is solvable I am sure if it. Try using some RCA from source into the tape monitor-in on the BP26.
Then switch to tape monitor and here what it does.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #55 on: 19 Jun 2016, 04:18 am »
Sure, i got it.
Didnt have time to follow it up yet, maybe you just send the mail to this forum please, so other can read it too?
Cheers,
Marius

Bryston sells similar equipment, and I did not wish to be obtuse or disrespectful by posting my suggestion in this thread or in this manufacturer's circle. Therefore, I sent you a PM.

Respectfully,
Michael

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 19 Jun 2016, 10:26 am »
Bryston sells similar equipment, and I did not wish to be obtuse or disrespectful by posting my suggestion in this thread or in this manufacturer's circle. Therefore, I sent you a PM.

Respectfully,
Michael

Hi Michael,

No problem - I am open to every opinion without bias.  Its about helping our customers.  So feel free to post whatever suggestions or help you deem appropriate.  :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #57 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:44 pm »
HI all,

FYi, i did some further testing and tried to follow your suggestions. I can summarize: no changes were noticed between the various  different settings. The hiss stays when both pre- and power amps are on. Inputting via the tape, balanced or rca. No changes are noted. Doesn't get worse either. I've even taken out all possible risks of dirty power, ie devices that are powered through their own wall warts. Went even further, by switching off their power completely from the main home power board. So no need for extra fancy USB filters or the likes. Changing the MPS2 outlet doesn't make a difference either.

Only thing i couldn't test was to short all unused outputs. Then again, with a completely turned down volume, the hiss is still there. It doesn't seem to have to do with anything source related.
Havent tested the 28b's unbalanced either. since my whole rig is balanced, i would have to change a lot of cabling ...

As Rusty says, 50-70 cm and im good, well, i'd accept that, reluctantly. It isn't that it's clouding the music after all, one has to listen carefully.

James, if one takes the 6db gain out, would that be for both balanced and unbalanced? I have plenty of unused power room in Balanced (never dial up further than 9 o'clock and thats already testing the household beyond their stress levels ;) ) In unbalanced, that is not always the case, on some source material  go beyond 14 o'clock. I fear taking 6db out would be too much here?

Shouldn't there just be another way of taking out the hiss, without further compromising the BP26 design?

Rod_S

« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:03 pm »
So you have tried different speakers. What about a different amp? Can you get another amp into the system, it doesn't have to be monos like your 28's simply something to do a test with.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #59 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:05 pm »

Shouldn't there just be another way of taking out the hiss, without further compromising the BP26 design?

Replace your speakers. Or as Rod says, try another high-quality preamp. Get your dealer to lend you a BP17 or even an integrated.