Ideal choice for small room

roscoe65

Ideal choice for small room
« on: 12 May 2015, 02:35 am »
I know that opinions vary, but I wanted to take a poll.  I own a pair of RS5-equipped original Super 3's (wide baffle).  Unless I am gravely mistaken, these offer similar performance to current model Super 3's. 

I am in the middle of thinning the electronics herd, leaving me with only two systems: a LR system that is high quality but "set it and forget it" in nature, though I would be happy with this as my only system; and my main in a small dedicated room.  This has a quality NOS DAC feeding a 421a SET amp of about 4-5 watts currently driving the Omega's.  The LR speakers (GR Research XLS Encores) put out a prodigious amount of bass, which makes the stand mount Omega's sound bass-shy by comparison.  This brings me to the $100,000 question:

The parameters include retaining my current amp, up to a $2,000 speaker budget, and includes choices of my current stand mounts, any of Louis's current models, and/or either of his current subwoofers.  Music runs the gamut, with quality taking precedence over quantity.  Bass is important, but not necessarily subterranean bass.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ZLS

Re: Ideal choice for small room
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2015, 02:56 am »
    I would suggest a pair of Omega 12 inch woofers, which coupled with the Super 3's

would be a match made in acoustic heaven. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2015, 03:02 am »
I was going to suggest the deepOmega 12 sub and keeping your Super 3's but ZLS beat me to the punch. 

roscoe65

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2015, 03:11 am »
Rob- that is my current line of thinking but the [as yet unheard] call of the Alnico monitor still beckons.  That is one problem with Omega's: the difficulty in being able to listen before purchase (though I suppose I could visit Louis's shop.  Its only 1.5 hours away by car or half an hour by boat).

DBC

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2015, 05:25 pm »

Dick Olsher wrote:

“It seems to me that many listeners confuse bass weight with bass extension and opt for a subwoofer when bass weight is lacking. The problem typically lies in the upper bass, the octave from 120Hz to 240Hz where much of an orchestra's foundation and acoustic power resides."

The above quote came from an audio review unrelated to Omega but makes a great point. If you want to add weight to the music presentation it's more about what is above 50hz than below 50hz. Nice thing about the DeepOmega is that it can play cleanly up into the 150hz range as I'm currently doing with my now discontinued Mid Bass Modules. I have chatted with a few DeepOmega owners and they are achieving similar results, much more attack and presence with drums & individual Bass notes.

My Alnico Monitors produce very nice levels of Bass by themselves even though I have a large room. Reinforcing the Mid-Bass from 150hz and down as the DeepOmega can do virtually places the drum kit and Bass Guitar amp in your room. I think you would really be surprised at what an overall upgrade adding a DeepOmega would make with your current speakers.

I have found using a Subdude Isolation Platform under a downward firing sub to be a big plus to minimize unwanted room interactions. I recommended the SubDude to ZLS here some time back and his take was this:

Hi DBC,

I received the Sub Dude's, and I am listening to them in my system.

I want to thank you for recommending them. 

They do make everything sound clearer and more focused. 

I hear improvements not just in the bass, but also up into the midrange. 

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2015, 08:38 pm »
Ny concern is similar. My room is 12' X19' X8' and wondered if a Super 7 monitor or an Alnico monitor would suffice.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2015, 09:08 pm »
Hi Scroof,

I would recommend the Alnico Monitor over the 7 Monitor.  I run Alnico Monitors in a 13 x 17 x 8 room and the sound is very satisfying.  I use no sub in that system.

sruffle

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2015, 02:06 am »
Interesting discussion.  I am to sure what constitutes a big room or small room.  I am considering running an Alnico monitor with a 6 watt SET in a room that is 12' wide with 8' ceilings but essentially has no back wall.  It is over 30 feet away and 20'feet from the back of the listening spot so there are no rear reflections.

Do you think that setup would give me enough volume?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2015, 04:57 am »
Interesting discussion.  I am to sure what constitutes a big room or small room.  I am considering running an Alnico monitor with a 6 watt SET in a room that is 12' wide with 8' ceilings but essentially has no back wall.  It is over 30 feet away and 20'feet from the back of the listening spot so there are no rear reflections.

Do you think that setup would give me enough volume?
With no backing wall (if I understand you correctly) I would seriously consider one or even two deepOmega 12 subs.  Without sub, the Super Alnico XRS.

sruffle

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2015, 01:28 am »
Thanks for your input.  I am using Fritz Rev 7s in the room now but would like to add a sub at some point.  The Rev 7s do very well on bass for a monitor but in this room a sub would really help.  The Alnicos measure pretty close to the Rev 7s. 

Ultralight

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2015, 03:43 am »
That's a fine pair of speaker you have there in the Fritz.  If I were to purchase a 2 way monitor again to run with a 22 watt set, it would be a Fritz.  There's something right about them that is simply musical.

If you do get the Omega, would love to hear your comparisons. 

UL

Thanks for your input.  I am using Fritz Rev 7s in the room now but would like to add a sub at some point.  The Rev 7s do very well on bass for a monitor but in this room a sub would really help.  The Alnicos measure pretty close to the Rev 7s.

Audiophile58

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2015, 07:59 am »
My brother owns the 7 SE Fritz that use the scan speak arc tweeter they may have a perceived extra sparkle on top
But it's Xover is designed for that  . My Alnico 6  are without  question much better integrated and not lacking anywhere
By using No Xover the phase and time is spot on correct the whole performance is just very
Integrated and natural sounding . Fritz  uses good drivers but other say his Xover parts are average at best
And he refuses to use hiend parts to better his product. my friend pulled the driver and peeked inside nothing special.

That is another reason I settled on Omega I don!t have to worry about how good or bad the Xover is .

sruffle

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2015, 12:10 am »
It's nice to hear the comments on the Fritz speakers.  They don't get talked about much.  I love these and am really happy with them.  They replaced a Harbeth P3ES2 + subwoofer combo and have been a nice upgrade.  However, I want to try out the SET / high efficiency speaker combo to zee what all the fuss is about.  Given that I value soundstage and detail, the SET approach sounds like a good fit.  The Fritz 7s are not going to do well with 6 watts..

Ultralight

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2015, 03:56 am »
This is going OT so apologies tothe OP. I'll make a final note here and be done.  I'm sure Fritz would be willing to use more expensive parts if one wants to pay for it.  I did notice that his ratio of parts to cost of speaker is way up there - giving one an excellent value.  I think his secret is his series crossover. I've had over half a a dozen speakers in the under $2K range - all of which have been raved about one way or another and found the Fritz to be particularly natural in how music flows.   OK, won't go OT any more. 

But yes, I'm curious about Omega due to its full range nature.  Also interested in full open baffle for small room.  Both Omega and open baffle should work well for small rooms. 

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm »
Here is a review by two reviewers (2 opinions) of the Fritz Rev 5 AND the Rev 7.

http://www.stereomojo.com/Fritz%20REV7%20and%20REV5%20Speaker%20review/FritzREV7andREV5SpeakerReview.htm

Hope this helps!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2015, 06:54 pm »
Louis Knows Fritz and has a high regard for him, and no doubt Fritz has a solid product.  However, this thread is going OT as I would assume the OP is asking about what Omega speaker would work in a small room.  JDarby's unabashed plug for Fritz speakers is totally inappropriate and shows a clear lack of professionalism.  I don't think even Fritz himself would be too impressed.  Kind of trollish IMO.

JDarby, I asked you in a PM yesterday to erase this post.  Why haven't you done it?

opnly bafld

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:08 pm »
Maybe an e-mail would be better since he hasn't been on AC since his post.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2015, 07:33 pm »
The picture of the "scary" girl would dissuade me from considering this speaker - no matter how competent it might be. It's really tacky.  :nono:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2015, 08:04 pm »
The picture of the "scary" girl would dissuade me from considering this speaker - no matter how competent it might be. It's really tacky.  :nono:

I was about to post something like that... I mean if they're going to use a model... ok, nevermind...  :icon_twisted:

Also, IMO Fritz speakers aren't even in the same league.

maxima95

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2015, 08:41 pm »
His last previous was October 22, 2013.  Rather odd.  Can't someone delete or move it to another venue?