Just got my new African Ebony RM 40's

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 27 Sep 2004, 02:27 pm »
First off, the packing is much better!  

Instead of cardboard boxes, they now come in MDF crates.  This not only makes for safer travel, but it was "easier" to get them unloaded (although I am glad I have been going to the gym :mrgreen: ).

The cabinet work is excellent (as I knew it would be).  

I need to get back to work, but I hope to have them hooked up in the next few hours and report back later today or tonight.  I will also post some pics as well.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2004, 03:21 pm »
George,

How long did it take to get your speakers once Brian shipped them?  Mine shipped last Wednesday.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2004, 03:31 pm »
Quote from: woodsyi
George,

How long did it take to get your speakers once Brian shipped them?  Mine shipped last Wednesday.

It took about a week.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:10 pm »
That means I should be able to get the freight company to deliver by Friday.  I don't suppose it would be a good idea to cancel an evening out with the wife for our anniversary and play with the Ebony RM 40's? :mrgreen:

shokunin

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:28 pm »
Can't wait to see some pics!!!  The African ebony's are just beautiful.  Do you still have your cherry RM40's?  It'd be interested to hear/the sonic differences between the two in your room.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:35 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
Can't wait to see some pics!!!  The African ebony's are just beautiful.  Do you still have your cherry RM40's?  It'd be interested to hear/the sonic differences between the two in your room.

The Cherry RM 40's get crated tonight when a friend comes over to help (they are being shipped to Budapest tomorrow).  Unfortunately I won't have the luxury of side by side tests.

George

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:52 pm »
Quote from: zybar
The Cherry RM 40's get crated tonight when a friend comes over to help (they are being shipped to Budapest tomorrow).  Unfortunately I won't have the luxury of side by side tests.

George

:o  :o  :o  :?:  :?:  :?:

Did the money clear????

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:07 pm »
Yes, it has cleared.   :mrgreen:

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:30 pm »

George
George has a pretty good ear...I'm sure if it sounds different , he'll know. Good luck with the new 40's !!! :dance:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:34 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

George
George has a pretty good ear...I'm sure if it sounds different , he'll know. Good luck with the new 40's !!! :dance:

What was that you said Wolfy?  Speak up!!   :lol:

Although memory isn't a good way to tell differences, I have a few cuts that I know inside out and will use for testing purposes.

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:42 pm »

Although memory isn't a good way to tell differences, I have a few cuts that I know inside out and will use for testing purposes.

George
If you notice...I said ear , not ears. I forgot which one was the better one...... :jester:
    Try a little Bad Plus for me.....[/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:46 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

George
If you notice...I said ear , not ears. I forgot which one was the better one...... :jester:
    Try a little Bad Plus for me.....[/list:u]

Bad Plus is one the test custs these days.   :D

As well as tracks from:

Ben Harper
Frank Sinatra
Rusted Root
Wilco
Bozzio Levins Stevens
Natalie Marchant
Holst

Just to name a few...

George

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2004, 10:55 pm »
Congratulations George. My RM-40 parts sans cabinets are on their way to Brian as I type.

Bob

ekovalsky

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:13 am »
Anxiously awaiting pictures and listening impressions

Glad your European buyer came through!

:singing:

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:29 am »
Congratulations George,

What a journey!  I mean seems like only yesterday that we were talking about you moving up from the Silverlines and getting some Cherry 40s.

Then the caps, the binding posts the tweaks, the tuning and the upgrades, and LARGERs.  If ever there was a pair of personalized RM40s, you had them.

You knew that pair inside and out, and their strengths and weaknesses.

I have no doubt that you will have this pair molded into all your preferences in no time.

Looking forward to the pics and the sonic report once you have the initial set up completed.

Thank God for ears :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:46 am »
Guys,

I am totally wiped out from packing (and rebuilding the crates - man those frieght guys are brutal) my old 40's and getting them into the mini-van for transport to JFK Airport tomorrow.

Below are a few pics of the new speakers.  They are up and running, but I haven't had any time to try and tune them.  I basically plopped them into the same spot as the old ones.

Anyway, stay tuned and I promise to report back over the next few days.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:59 am »
WOW! :o   Those things are gorgeous!  A little darker than I thought they'd be, though.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:02 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
WOW! :o   Those things are gorgeous!  A little darker than I thought they'd be, though.

My photography skills certainly don't help, but yes, they are a little darker than I thought they would be.

Quite a contrast to the Cherry pair they are replacing.

For all the negative talk about the pre-MLS cabinets, my Cherry cabinets look darn good!

George

mgalusha

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:06 am »
Very very nice. The other MLS cabinets I've seen were beautiful and these are certainly no exception. Looking forward to hearing about any differences between these and your cherry pair.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:11 am »
Look'in......GoooooD ! (I noticed the sticker on the crate..."Delicate, High Value , Machine"..I'd say so.) :D