Just got my new African Ebony RM 40's
« Reply #40 on: 28 Sep 2004, 06:38 pm »
nice dogs :)

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #41 on: 28 Sep 2004, 07:06 pm »
Quote from: WerTicus
nice dogs :)

Here's an old family portrait when the Samoyed was a baby:)

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
mls
« Reply #42 on: 28 Sep 2004, 08:02 pm »
The sample mls cabinets sent us were veneered on the back, which is how we specified them.  The production boxes came painted on the back.  I think this was an oversight on the part of the mls factory.

African Ebony is about $400 a sheet (2 sheets req for the pair of RM40)
in this country if you can find it.  20 man-hours go into the finishing of each pair of cabinets.  We don't pay less for mls cabinets, we pay almost double the domestic price, just to get the quality.

Apart from the first run of RM40 with the black painted fronts, the cabinets have all been very nice.

Mad DOg

Re: mls
« Reply #43 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:16 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
The sample mls cabinets sent us were veneered on the back, which is how we specified them.  The production boxes came painted on the back.  I think this was an oversight on the part of the mls factory...

thanks for clearing this up, brian.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #44 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:23 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
The sample mls cabinets sent us were veneered on the back, which is how we specified them.  The production boxes came painted on the back.  I think this was an oversight on the part of the mls factory.

African Ebony is about $400 a sheet (2 sheets req for the pair of RM40)
in this country if you can find it.  20 man-hours go into the finishing of each pair of cabinets.  We don't pay less for mls cabinets, we pay almost double the domestic price, just to get the quality.

Apart from the first run of RM40 with the black painted fronts, the cabinets have all been very nice.

Brian,

What about painting the area around the drivers black like on my Cherry 40's?  The contrast of the the MDF vs. the beautiful African Ebony is noticeable.  I am tempted to remove all the drivers and paint the area black, but I will probably wait a bit and see if I can stop noticing it.

I can't find ANY issues with my finish.  I am yet again a very happy VMPS customer.

Thanks.

George

jgubman

« Reply #45 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:42 pm »
Quote from: zybar
I will probably wait a bit and see if I can stop noticing it.

Just paint it...  :D

Mad DOg

« Reply #46 on: 28 Sep 2004, 10:54 pm »
...I can't find ANY issues with my finish.  I am yet again a very happy VMPS customer...
yeah, yeah, yeah about the finish already... :wink:

what we're all interested in is if the new cabinets improve on the sound of the already amazing sounding RM40s!  :hyper:

rosconey

« Reply #47 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:08 pm »
just paint it-ARE YOU NUTS?

when you pay that kind of money you shouldnt have to paint anything :nono:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #48 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:11 pm »
Brian,

What about painting the area around the drivers black like on my Cherry 40's?  The contrast of the the MDF vs. the beautiful African Ebony is noticeable.  I am tempted to remove all the drivers and paint the area black, but I will probably wait a bit and see if I can stop noticing it.

I can't find ANY issues with my finish.  I am yet again a very happy VMPS customer.

Thanks.

George

I agree.  

Where the MDF meets the drivers, it should come painted......Even better (and more expected at this pricepoint), the wood cuts should be more precise/flush with the drivers.   Despite all the kudos on the finish, I was honestly expecting better craftmanship from the MLS factory from something so obvious to the naked eye.....

Marbles

« Reply #49 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:33 pm »
George,

When I had my mid range panels modded, when I first got them, I replaced the two sided tape with 1/4" wide 3/16" thick two sided tape from the window insulation section at Lowes.  This raises the midrange panels and creates a better seal.

My midrange panels are pretty much flush with the cabinet now.

Mad DOg

« Reply #50 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:45 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
I agree.  

Where the MDF meets the drivers, it should come painted......Even better (and more expected at this pricepoint), the wood cuts should be more precise/flush with the drivers.   Despite all the kudos on the finish, I was honestly expecting better craftmanship from the MLS factory from something so obvious to the naked eye.....

aren't the cabinets be manufactured to VMPS drawings and specs? if this is the way they were spec'd then that's the way ANY factory would make them.

from my experience, speakers that are designed by an MLS team do have precise/flush fitting drivers in their cabinets.

VMPS cabinets are shipped empty. the drivers are installed when they arrive at VMPS if i am not mistaken.

anyways, hopefully this is something that can be improved upon in the future by both parties involved.

ctviggen

« Reply #51 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:45 pm »
Am I the only person who doesn't look at the drivers?  I use the covers provided with the speakers and had to take the covers off to see if mine were like George's (they aren't, but mine aren't MLS).

Marbles

« Reply #52 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:54 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Am I the only person who doesn't look at the drivers?  I use the covers provided with the speakers and had to take the covers off to see if mine were like George's (they aren't, but mine aren't MLS).

Try listening with the grills off.  Most find they sound better without the grills in the sound path.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:54 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen

I NEVER use my grills (except in my living room system where the kids are).

I don't like the way they look and I don't want anything subtracting from the sound.

George

JoshK

« Reply #54 on: 29 Sep 2004, 12:01 am »
I think the RM40s sound considerably better with the grills off.  My wife also likes the looks with the grills off.  Who am I to differ?

jermmd

« Reply #55 on: 29 Sep 2004, 01:53 am »
I have 4 kids under the age of seven and I'm using their playroom for my home theater.  Needless to say, the covers are almost always on.  A few days ago I caught my 1 year old stuffing toys into the port of my subwoofer.  G_d knows what happens when I'm not around. :o

Joe M.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #56 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:00 am »
Quote from: jermmd
A few days ago I caught my 1 year old stuffing toys into the port of my subwoofer.
This could be a new tweak (hey, I've heard of putting socks in there)....have you listened to the sub....sounding better? :?

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:03 am »
At least it isn't cookies or a pbj sandwich in the VCR like my friend's child did.   :lol:

So far I have been extremely lucky with my 3 year old.  He has been taught since the beginning not to touch the speakers or the electronics in the cabinet.  Incredibly, he actually hasn't touched things and is really well behaved!

Hopefully that will continue.   :mrgreen:

George

Mad DOg

« Reply #58 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:07 am »
At least it isn't cookies or a pbj sandwich in the VCR like my friend's child did.   :lol:

So far I have been extremely lucky with my 3 year old.  He has been taught since the beginning not to touch the speakers or the electronics in the cabinet.  Incredibly, he actually hasn't touched things and is really well behaved!

Hopefully that will continue.   :mrgreen:

George

is he missing any digits yet? if so, that usually teaches them as kids are pretty quick studies!  :wink:  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:11 am »
I think it helps that he loves listening to music and :dance: