Brand new LP's vs same but older LP

stump4545

Brand new LP's vs same but older LP
« on: 28 Dec 2014, 11:37 pm »
Is it generally better to buy a brand new LP for ex Michael Jackson Thriler LP, or find a mint condition older one Thriller from 1980s?

My thinking was that a brand new LP will be cleaner not dirty and no scratches..... so is a brand new LP the way to go when possible?

or do older vinyl pressings sound better?

thanks.

vinyl_lady

Re: Brand new LP's vs same but older LP
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2014, 12:03 am »
It depends on the album and the pressing and the source. Is the reissue sourced from digital files or AAA? Is the original record a first pressing? Is the source of the older record the original master tape or a copy? Where is the reissue pressed?

The Beatles stereo reissues in 2009 were sourced from digital files and were a real disappointment when compared to the British versions of those albums. On the other hand, they were better than a lot of U.S. pressings. The Beatles in Mono were sourced from the original mono tapes and are better than any version except early stampers of the British Parlophone versions.

Don't know about Thriller. Michael Fremer reviews a lot of reissues on his www.analog.planet.com website. Sometimes I will buy the reissue because I don't have the patience to look for a mint copy.

stump4545

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2014, 01:21 am »
are New LPs from big sources like "Music Direct" usually from original analog sources or it just really depends?

is their an online source which lists if new pressings are from an analog source?

do new LP reissues always specify what the source is digital/analog?

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2014, 02:17 am »
All the major online retailers sell vinyl that are sourced from both analog and digital. Unfortunately many of labels are not forthcoming with good information. If you are interested in a particular title you will have to do some research to see what's truly AAA. Some labels like MFSL and music matters jazz are always AAA. And there are others.

stump4545

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2014, 02:38 am »
are all vinyl pressing from the 70's always from analog sources?

early 80's?

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2014, 03:54 am »
My guess would be that 70s pressings are all analog. Sometime in the 80s recordings and mastering started to enter the digital domain.

stump4545

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:08 am »
So any Doors LP from the 70s would be a better recording then a new reissue as the reissue might or might not be cut from a analog source.

Is this fair to say?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:14 am »
My guess would be that 70s pressings are all analog. Sometime in the 80s recordings and mastering started to enter the digital domain.

That would be my guess too.

On MFSL, if it says original master recording it is from the original master tapes. Other MoFi releases are from the best tape source available.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:30 am »
So any Doors LP from the 70s would be a better recording then a new reissue as the reissue might or might not be cut from a analog source.

Is this fair to say?

Like most albums, it depends on the pressing, the stamper, etc. it is not possible to generalize. I have Elektra gold label issues of the first 3 albums. Some sound better than others. I also have the Rhino box set which was cut from hi rez digital files and sounds very good. The 45 rpm reissues by Analog Productions (Acoustic Sounds) are from the original master tapes, an AAA chain, and IMO the best sounding Doors albums ever.

It can be frustrating trying to find the best sounding pressing. I use Steve Hoffman's website and analog planet to learn about various pressings.

stump4545

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:46 am »
Besides Mofi, what other brands can I depend on for true Analog to LP Pressing?

for contemporary Lp's for ex. Adele 21, since it is a modern album, do they still use analog sources, or do most contemporary albums released today use digital sources to LP?  Taylor Swift new album?

thanks for the help.

dminches

« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2014, 01:42 pm »
stump, there are very few absolute answers to your questions.  Often it is an album by album quandary.  When I am looking to add something to my collection I usually do a bunch of google searches to figure out what's out there and what I want to buy.  Even though most original issues in the 70s and earlier are AAA, often those versions are either very expensive or hard to find in good condition, or both.  You have to do your legwork.  I often find good information on stevehoffman.tv.

stonedeaf

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:43 pm »
For me it's simply a matter of just how bad my copy of a particular piece of music is plus was the original well pressed or notoriously wretched crap ? I was in the record business starting in the late 60's thru they middle 80's -the idea that all older recordings/pressings are superior is too broad a generalization. Oftentimes i will acquire a used copy -realize the performances are great -the record well loved previously and played on worn out styli or simply record players that reamed as they played.I will  then acquire a "new" pressing -if nothing else the quality of the vinyl nowadays is simply wonderful -very clean and silent .
   A question that I don't see addressed is the fact that for  most new LP mastering/plate manufacturing - the cutter is being fed/controlled from a 16bit/44.1 digital source. I "assume?" that this is EQ'd to benefit the sound of LP's - but it is the reason we can get so much time onto a modern LP. One of the advantages of this system is a lot less trial and error when it comes to manufacturing the mother plate - less time invested in getting a good or at least useable plate. Does anyone know who isn't using a digi feed/controller nowadays ?

dminches

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2014, 04:56 pm »

A question that I don't see addressed is the fact that for  most new LP mastering/plate manufacturing - the cutter is being fed/controlled from a 16bit/44.1 digital source. I "assume?" that this is EQ'd to benefit the sound of LP's - but it is the reason we can get so much time onto a modern LP. One of the advantages of this system is a lot less trial and error when it comes to manufacturing the mother plate - less time invested in getting a good or at least useable plate. Does anyone know who isn't using a digi feed/controller nowadays ?

I think "most" may be an exaggeration.  There is clearly a lot of digitally source vinyl these days.  However, there is still a lot of AAA and some digitally sourced vinyl is cut from higher resolution files.  I am most disappointed at the lack of information available.  To me, no information means the information would be displeasing to those of us who prefer AAA.

stump4545

« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2014, 08:34 pm »
Besides, Mofi, which are record comanies can I buy new records from and know that they are all AAA, without having to go crazy searching?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2014, 08:59 pm »
I think "most" may be an exaggeration.  There is clearly a lot of digitally source vinyl these days.  However, there is still a lot of AAA and some digitally sourced vinyl is cut from higher resolution files.  I am most disappointed at the lack of information available.  To me, no information means the information would be displeasing to those of us who prefer AAA.

I agree that "most" is an overstatement. The Beatles in Mono were cut in an AAA chain as were the new Doors at 45 RPM. In addition to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Bernie Grundman Mastering (http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/technical.html) has the ability to cut from both digital and tape as does Kevin Gray at Acoustech Mastering. I also believe Sterling Sound can cut from both tape and digital files. The Rhino box set of the Doors were cut from hi rez 24/192 files and I believe the new Led Zep releases were cut from either 24/96 or 24/192 files.

I also agree that the lack of readily available information about the source material is most frustrating.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2014, 09:09 pm »
Besides, Mofi, which are record comanies can I buy new records from and know that they are all AAA, without having to go crazy searching?

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. I know Chad at QRP tries to source his reissues from tape whenever possible. Sometimes the original tape is unavailable or is in poor condition. Some of them are over 50 years old. Rhino uses both tape and digital sources. Music on Vinyl says they use the best source available which may be tape or digital (most likely digital). If the reissue doesn't say "mastered from the original analog tapes," then I assume it is a digitally sourced vinyl. Also, be careful of the wording. Some records say "sourced from the original analog tapes." That may mean they made hi rez digital files from the tape and then cut from the digital files. I know it is frustrating, but that is just the way it is right now. BTW, just because it is cut from a digital files does not mean the vinyl sounds bad. I have some reissues cut from hi-rez digital files that sound very good. While I prefer AAA, vinyl cut from hi rez digital files is certainly better than CD quality.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2014, 11:05 pm by vinyl_lady »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2014, 10:08 pm »
Here's what do when I need the skinny on a particular LP.

I bug the crap outta the Vinyl Lady till she gives it up. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2014, 11:06 pm »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2014, 02:11 am »

The Great Pumpkin actually has a very good point.  There are several AC members with specialized vinyl knowledge that put together, makes a fairly in depth data base.  Vinyl Lady, Neobop, JimD, and many other...and even my tiny bit of knowledge of classical can make a reasonably good set of vinyl recommendations. 
In classical look for re-issues by Sheffield Lab, Chesky, Reference Recording, and Classic.  However, I've only had a chance to compare one quality re issue with an early stamper original pressing... the RCA LSC2436 reissued by Classic.  The original is better. 
I might make a list of what you would like to have as a core of great recordings, and go after the best you can get. Even if it's just a half dozen lp's to start with, you never regret spending for a great recording, but I always regret buying it several times to improve quality.  And start now.  Prices of top recordings just keep going up.

orthobiz

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2014, 02:23 am »
Regarding Thriller try this:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/definitive-vinyl-edition-of-michael-jacksons-thriller.248255/

I often type into Google: stevehoffman.tv and then add a particular record. You can also post a thread there, they are pretty friendly, but if you have a question, they likely have already answered it! Lots of opinions but it will give you ideas.

The albums by the group Low are AAA and sound great. I saw them with roscoeiii a couple of years ago!

Paul