Complete Von Schweikert Home theater system. Need help with setup

Chrisandalex1

Hey all, new to the forum, but not to Von Schweikert speakers. 

I have a set of Vr4 Jr's, LCR-15 Center, TS 150 rears and a VRS1 sub.

These are to be run with a Marantz AV7005 and a Marantz MM7055

I live in Cabo San Lucas Mexico, and would like to get someone to come setup the system for me. 

I would be happy to get a luxury suite at one of our local resorts for whoever could assist me with this. 

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2015, 05:27 pm by Chrisandalex1 »

Chrisandalex1

To add to this, I would supply a week at one of our resorts in exchange for the talent needed to set the system up properly.

Chris

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2015, 05:27 pm by Chrisandalex1 »

Delacroix

Welcome aboard Chris

This has got to be the best deal for some set-up advice I've seen in a while -- sadly, I am a straight stereo guy so my set up skills for any multi-channel room would be limited. But am sure there are others here..... :)

Keep us posted!

JackD201

Wow, as an avid golfer (10.0 index Slope:149 Rating:75.2) and a longtime VSA distributor, I would love to take that offer! Too bad I'm all the way in "Republica Pilipinas"!

Chrisandalex1

Delacroix,

FYI, I am not a perfectionist on this in any way shape or form, and I could probably spend the time and read all the directions to do this myself, but reality is that I have the ability to make it cool for someone who wanted a vacation in Cabo, so why not.

This is not set up in a sound room, just my living room. 

Chris

Chrisandalex1

Oh yeah, for those that golf, we are opening Tiger Woods 1st golf course on the 16th.   

Chrisandalex1

Just a quick update.  I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Albert today, and I am going to ship everything but the TS-150's back to him for upgrades.  Also going to upgrade to the V-12 Shockwave sub.

So the necessity for help will be delayed while I get this done. 

Thanks,

Chris

Chrisandalex1

So after talking to Albert, I guess I was bitten by the upgrade bug.  Not only am I sending all the speakers up to Albert for the latest and greatest , but I decided to upgrade everything else too.

So here is the final system.  I can't wait to get it all put together and listen to some great tunes.

Von Schweikert -
VR4jr's 2015 upgrades
LCR-15 - Albert is doing his first ever upgrade to these for me
TS-150 rears
2 V-10 Shockwave Subs

Bryston-
PS3 Preamp

Odyssey Audio -
3 Kismet Reference Monoblocks
1 Kismet Reference Stereo

Audio By E -
SilenZio Media Sever
6TB NAS

ZenWave Audio -
D4 Interconnects
Furutech N1-4 HDMI
SMC and SMSG Speaker Cables
Custom Surge X SEQ Power Conditioner - Same as Albert used at RMAF this year

Also going to have GIK Acoustics visit my home and do their magic.

I think this should rock pretty good.  Thanks a lot Albert.  Now my wife is kicking my ass again. LOL

« Last Edit: 7 Jan 2015, 03:22 pm by Chrisandalex1 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
What did you do with the VR-S1 sub?

Chrisandalex1

Nothing Yet.  It is going up to be upgraded right now.  But Albert tells me I have to get one of his new V-12 Shockwave for my new system.  I was actually thinking about getting two VRS1's but he really insists that I go the V-12 path

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
The VR-S1 is a great sub for a small room paired with bookshelf speakers. I have one in a bedroom music/HT system and it is a perfect fit. Both in output and the amount of floor space it takes up.

However, for the system you've put together the VR-S1 would be puny and underpowered. If you have an office system that could use some low end help, consider adding the VR-S1 to it. When clean articulate bass is desired and a small footprint is more important than high SPL's the VR-S1 is hard to beat. For your main system, listen to Albert.

Enjoy the music

Mike

Chrisandalex1

[/URL]

[/img]

Speakers boxed up and ready to ship to Von Schweikert Audio for upgrades..

Chrisandalex1

Well today I got on the phone with Leif at Von Schweikert, and I caved in again.

We have been playing with how to best set up the subwoofer in my room/system, and today decided to go with two V-10 Shockwave Subs set up opposite of the Vr4jr's firing back at the room. I understand we will likely have to play with placement, but the idea is intriguing enough that I decided to go ahead.

I also really like that these subs can be set for 2 channel listening, or for hard core movie listening and can be switched via remote based on what you are listening to.

The V-10 Shockwave Subs are brand new. They haven't even released them yet. I think they are going to work out really well.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Wow!!!! U are in for a treat!!  Congrats! 

Chrisandalex1

Thanks Jack,

I am really looking forward to getting everything back and set up.  Albert and Leif have set my expectation levels very high. 

I am also excited to see what they come up with on the upgrade of my LCR-15.  They are going to the drawing board to keep it consistent with the rest of the package.  Albert says he has never played with this, but is confident they can make it exceptional.  It would be great to go to one of the new bigger center channel speakers like the LCR-4, but I just don't have room for it.

I wish I could pull the trigger on some VR-55's, but that will have to wait a year or two.

Chris

kernelbob

Re: the pair of Shockwaves, I'm using a pair of the 15" magnesium/ceramic XS subwoofers in my VR100XS setup.  When Albert installed the system, we compared running the subs next to the towers versus having the subs at the rear of the room.  The rear placement transformed the listening room.  Properly dialed in and with well recorded bass, the subwoofers seem to open up the room to the point of placing the listener in the original venue's acoustics.  I think you'll love those subs.  I'd suggest anyone with VSA speakers consider trying one or two.

Chrisandalex1

I believe Albert told me about your room.  Is it a rather large/long room?

I am confident that they will get it setup/performing with breathtaking results.

I can't wait.

kernelbob

Yes, I have a good sized room (nothing like the room where those VR111's are going to live though).  My room is 21' wide with a peaked ceiling 9.5 ' at the sides and 10.5' at the center.  The lengh is 50' to 70' deep and open to the rest of the house beyond that, so I've got plenty of length to develop those deep bass wavelengths.  I have an entry stairwell just behind the primary listening position which helps to avoid a prominent vertical bass resonance.  When I was house hunting, the first thing I did when dragging my real estate agent around was to check out the living/sound room acoustics.  My agent later told me that when I walked into this house, I got a huge smile on my face and he knew I had found the one I wanted.

The pair of 15" XS subwoofers don't have to work hard at all in my system, though with 1000 watts available per sub, they could play much louder than I demand of them.  I've always believed that if you crank up the subs to the point where they draw attention to themselves, they're too loud.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of punch with the pair of 10" Shockwaves.  Importantly, you'll have really fast subs that will mate well with the fast woofers in your front speakers.

One more thing, the XS subs are placed 50' from the front wall, but still integrate seamlessly.

Chrisandalex1

Amazing,

Well it seems 3 of my rooms would fit in there.  Albert says it is fantastic the way the subs performed in this room. 

My room is more of a box, about 20 x 20 with 14-16' ceiling.  I am sure it will be fun to get it dialed in, but we will do it. 

Probably my biggest challenge is getting my wife to allow me to place the speakers and subs where they need to be vs where she would like them to be.  For the past 6-8 years my VR4jr's became more of a pedestal for sculptures, and were moved into the corners. 

I believe to get the room sounding the way I would like we will need to bring them out into the room a bit more..LOL

Not to worry though.  I have a plan.  If she doesn't allow me to do this, I am going to turn our guesthouse, which is about the same size room but with a 12' ceiling, into a dedicated home theater/listening room. 

kernelbob

Hi Chris,

I spoke with Albert about your system.  Your 10" subwoofers will use the latest control system that includes continuously adjustable phase offset relative to the front speakers.  This is the technology (unique to VSA) that Albert introduced with the XS subwoofers in the VR100XS system.

This phase control lets you fine tune the phase offset of the subwoofers relative to the front speakers.  Mine are set to around 165 degrees since they're quite a distance from the VR100 towers.  When the correct phase offset is dialed-in, bass resonance nodes in your room can be addressed.  Square rooms such as yours especially benefit since they typically have pronounced bass nodes.

Best,
Robert