I'm contemplating juicing as a meal replacement for one meal a day...

Guy 13

Any soy product decalcifies bones and is very bad for male virility.

Hi all.
So, no soy milk for me,
otherwise my wife will notice a diminishing virility
from her 66 years old husband. :lol:

Guy 13

BobM

I thought the healthiest diet for a diabetic was to avoid any kind of sugar spikes. So low carb (starches turn to sugars), no obvious sugars like soda or juice or fruits, no alcohol, high fiber (whole grain cereal in the morning), and more frequent but smaller protien based meals (like 5/day) to keep things stable.

A juicer is probably the wrong way to go unless you throw out the joice and eat the high fiber pulp (yuk).

Guy 13

I thought the healthiest diet for a diabetic was to avoid any kind of sugar spikes. So low carb (starches turn to sugars), no obvious sugars like soda or juice or fruits, no alcohol, high fiber (whole grain cereal in the morning), and more frequent but smaller protien based meals (like 5/day) to keep things stable.

A juicer is probably the wrong way to go unless you throw out the joice and eat the high fiber pulp (yuk).
Hi  BobM
I am diabetic type two and my sugar level (Glucemia ???) is 6.4
therfore, everything under control.
Lots of vegetable soup, nothing with sugar, some sugarless juices, fruits like bananas, apples, grapes, blueberry and much, much more...
And once a month:
one tea spoon of honey in my tea
and one chocolate chip muffin and that's it,
but what a treat... :thumb:

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi all.
So, no soy milk for me,
otherwise my wife will notice a diminishing virility
from her 66 years old husband. :lol:

Guy 13
According a local famous plastic surgeon there 5 foods that cause impotence and make your dick stay small:
Soy, peanuts, cabbage and the other 2 I failed to remember.

Guy 13

According a local famous plastic surgeon there 5 foods that cause impotence and make your dick stay small:
Soy, peanuts, cabbage and the other 2 I failed to remember.
Hi FullRangeMan.
I eat lots of peanuts,
maybe that's why I don't perform the same as when I was 30 years old.
:scratch:

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hi FullRangeMan.
I eat lots of peanuts,
maybe that's why I don't perform the same as when I was 30 years old.
:scratch:

Guy 13
Stay calm, I discovered that some foods increase size.
Simple food as banana, potatoes, meat and eggs.
Also constant use help alot.

Guy 13

Stay calm, I discovered that some foods increase size.
Simple food as banana, potatoes, meat and eggs.
Also constant use help alot.
Hi FullRangeMan.
Does daily use is consider as constant use ?  :lol:

Guy 13

RDavidson

If you're insulin resistant (as I am), juicing is one of the worst possible things you can do.  The blood sugar spike for me if I did that would be incredible.  I've been using intermittent fasting two days a week, where I skip breakfast and do not eat until lunch.  So, about 18 hours or so of fasting. If you're diabetic, though, fasting may not be for you.

If you're diabetic, you want to go on a low carbohydrate, high fat diet.  Here's a case report of a person who went off insulin by being on a low carb, high fat (and paleo) diet:

http://www.ijcasereportsandimages.com/archive/provisional_articles/2014-10/09_Z01_2014070118_CR_prov.pdf

More info:

http://vernerwheelock.com/?p=229

If you're afraid of eating fat because you think it might cause heart disease, the evidence for that concept is shaky and I believe completely wrong.  The easiest book to read on this subject is the following:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Surprise-Healthy/dp/1451624425

The first book I read on this subject is now online for free.  It's a scientific look at the "evidence" that saturated fat and "high" cholesterol cause heart disease.  The online version seems to have more grammatical and other errors than the print version did, but it's still a very good analysis:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/CM

If you want more evidence, send me a private message.  I've read probably 10 books that have critically examined the relationship between saturated fat and heart disease (and "high" cholesterol, statins, etc.) and can give you additional examples.

Oh yeah, Sweden set up a committee that reviewed 16,000 studies in this area and now is AGAINST a low fat diet:

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/

+1 Fat is not the enemy. The only issue is that fats are high in calories. So, like anything else, you have to monitor what and how much you put in your body if you wish to maintain health and healthy weight. I would highly recommend a dietitian create a meal plan specifically for you. There are tons of useful tools today, free tools, like calorie / food tracking apps when used in conjunction with a diet and exercise (even just walking briskly for 30 minutes a day can do wonders for your mind and body) plan that can get you on track to feeling better, healthier, and staying out of the hospital.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2014, 06:37 pm by RDavidson »

StereoNut

Wow!  You guys are amazing.  I'm glad I gave you more info., so you could address my inquiry better.  Maybe juicing isn't the answer for me as a Type 2 diabetic?  I just thought that getting some nutrients into my system early in the day would be a better idea than just coffee.  When I have some time, I may contact one or two of you that offered more detailed info. via PM.

SN

Larkston Zinaspic

I wouldn't even attempt to speak as an 'expert,' but I would think that a smoothie would be a better choice for a 'meal replacement' than a juice, though both can be of benefit to your health. See if you like making your smoothies first before trying out a juicer, IMHO. Smoothies are never really more complicated than washing out your blender, while juices are almost always a bit of a PITA to make, no matter how simple your 'recipe' is.

You can add things to your smoothies like flax, aloe, vegetable-based protein powder, coconut oil, coconut milk, mixed raw nuts like filberts, walnuts, Brazil nuts, almonds and so forth. Don't forget that you can add red and green dehydrated juice powders to 'spike' up your smoothies with the phytonutrients you would normally extract from a juicer, without the added sugar. Those are just some examples (and since it's been said that fats will slow the effectiveness of insulin in the blood, some of these suggestions may not be for you.) I happen to like to add frozen mixed berries, a banana, and some raw manuka honey. Again, not for everyone.

You can do a search on You Tube with something like 'diabetic smoothie' to see if anything piques your interest. A lot of those include vegetable-based 'green' smoothies. Maybe you'd get some better ideas from a registered dietician/nutritionist. Hopefully something works for you.

Folsom

*What you juice doesn't have to have sugar in it. So what is going to raise your blood sugar?

*The amount of carbohydrates is only a portion of blood sugar control, the GI index is more useful BY FFFAAARRRR.
1. Wheat has a protein that acts like insulin, so in one person it will act to help diabetes, in another it may entirely block insulin reception.

*High fat diet, depending on WHAT you mean by high fat might kill your ass.
1. Not everyone has enough IAP  to process cholesterol and metabolize fatty acids; that is 100% independent of fat content in meat.
 A. No matter how much you have, if you've got the ABO antigen A in your body, you don't have much usable IAP.
 B. The amount varies, even if you don't have the A antigen.
 C. There's a difference even in the stomach acid amounts.
 D. If you've got less IAP, the toxins from less digested food (say red meat) may not be getting removed.
2. Fish is a great option, or Omega 3's in general are a better option to play it safe if you don't know.
 A. If you want your cells to be receptive towards insulin, so you aren't diabetic, then you need them to be robust from proper cycles of autophagy and dietary Omega 3's.
3. No doctor anywhere, not even the food pyramid, recommends the total amount of carbohydrates and sugars we typically consume.

*It's not safe for diabetics to eat no sugar, they need sustained blood sugar. Every doctor in the world will repeat that.

*There's no health to be found in potatoes. Also, bananas are hard to digest for some. Sweet potatoes are a better option.

*Where's the recommendation for VEGETABLES around here? Most of the country is dieing from lack of vegetables, omega 3's, fiber, and only consuming meat, cheese, wheat, and sugars.

*Almost all claims on SOY are totally BS. The biggest one is that it is like estrogen. First of all it's 13% the quality of estrogen that the HEALTHY MALE BODY already makes, so it actually displaces ESTROGEN THAT CAN CAUSE A CELLULAR REACTION with "estrogen" that cannot. The amount of the "thyroid" depressant in it would require an absurd amount of consumption or a total lack of iodine in the diet to do anything. It's been shown to be heart healthy to no end.
1. The problems come from the anti-oxident activity that is too strong, and will be problematic for slow acetylators.
 A. The slowest acetylators can't handle caffeine hardly at all.
 B. Fast acetylators can drink coffee before sleeping, no worries, without a cortisol crash, and without being acclimated to coffee.
 C. Being acclimated to coffee and being able to sleep after consumption doesn't make one a fast acetylator.

RDavidson

*What you juice doesn't have to have sugar in it. So what is going to raise your blood sugar?

*The amount of carbohydrates is only a portion of blood sugar control, the GI index is more useful BY FFFAAARRRR.

*High fat diet, depending on WHAT you mean by high fat might kill your ass.

*There's no health to be found in potatoes. Also, bananas are hard to digest for some. Sweet potatoes are a better option.

*Where's the recommendation for VEGETABLES around here? Most of the country is dieing from lack of vegetables, omega 3's, fiber, and only consuming meat, cheese, wheat, and sugars.

I agree with you in general and there are obviously some things that people with diabetes will need to account for, that certainly don't apply to people without diabetes, hence the reason I and a couple of others suggested a visit to the dietician.

1. I think people are assuming that most people use fruit when juicing. If this is the case, there's your sugar. As a general rule of thumb, if it tastes sweet it has a type sugar in it regardless of source.

2. High fat diets where fat is 70%+ of your daily caloric intake is, I believe, considered the high fat threshold. Diets like this are stupid if you ask me. Paleo? Are you kidding? We've evolved quite a bit since the cavemen we supposedly were, and we have evolved to eat many things besides animal fat and protein with a few seeds, nuts, and berries mixed in. Yeah, some people will swear by this whole idea, but again, I'll reiterate that we're all different and have different dietary/caloric needs. Not to mention, fats and proteins don't have A LOT of the vitamins we need (found in abundance in fruits and veggies). I eat around 40% of my calories in various fats which is somewhere around 90 grams of fat. This may seem like a high fat diet to some, but FOR ME it is about right for maintaining healthy testosterone levels and other bodily functions, which in human males factors into good general health.

3. I disagree. Potatoes can actually be part of a healthy diet. Sometimes starchy foods can be very useful to the body, particularly after a hard weight training session. Yes, sweet potatoes are definitely a much better choice. Bananas can be OK too. Here's the thing, as bananas ripen (and start showing "sugar spots") their glycemic index increases. Again, like russet potatoes there may be certain times/reasons to eat a slightly green or slightly brown banana or vice versa.

4. I and at least one other person said to eat veggies. The nice thing about veggies, especially dark leafy ones is that you can eat pretty much as much as you want. They are extremely low in carbs and calories, but packed full of nutrients. Organic spinach is a staple of mine.

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2014, 10:34 pm by RDavidson »

JonnyFive

I've got the Ninja, not really a juicer, more of a blender.  Best nutrition advice I've ever read "Don't eat too much. Eat mostly plants."

Breakfast is an easy meal to start with a shake.  I do tons of spinach, half a frozen banana, hemp protein, powdered greens, then something to flavor it up.  Either vanilla whey protein or Mega Men Sport by GNC, sometimes both if I'm feeling beefcake.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need fruit, or at least the levels of fruit that are recommended by the sham that is the "food pyramid".  Vitamin C is abundant in vegetables and you can do without the sugars in fruit.  Many fruit juices are like drinking soda.   

JonnyFive

3. I disagree. Potatoes can actually be part of a healthy diet. Sometimes starchy foods can be very useful to the body, particularly after a hard weight training session. Yes, sweet potatoes are definitely a much better choice. Bananas can be OK too. Here's the thing, as bananas ripen (and start showing "sugar spots") their glycemic index increases. Again, like russet potatoes there may be certain times/reasons to eat a slightly green or slightly brown banana or vice versa.

4. I and at least one other person said to eat veggies. The nice thing about veggies, especially dark leafy ones is that you can eat pretty much as much as you want. They are extremely low in carbs and calories, but packed full of nutrients. Organic spinach is a staple of mine.

After hard weight training you should try to spike your blood sugar so that high insulin levels will follow, shuttling important repair material into your muscle cells. This is the only time you should be trying to spike your blood sugar.  This needs to be done within 30 minutes of your last set, so unless you carry a baked potato in your gym bag, a shake might be more effective. ;) 

Now I want to see some bodybuilder eating a potato at the gym.

Hooray organic spinach.  It is truly a superfood.

RDavidson

After hard weight training you should try to spike your blood sugar so that high insulin levels will follow, shuttling important repair material into your muscle cells. This is the only time you should be trying to spike your blood sugar.  This needs to be done within 30 minutes of your last set, so unless you carry a baked potato in your gym bag, a shake might be more effective. ;) 

Now I want to see some bodybuilder eating a potato at the gym.

Hooray organic spinach.  It is truly a superfood.

Yes, I eat a steak and potato on a bench at the gym. I set out a candle for myself too. :lol:

Actually, I drink a protein shake mixed with a proportional amount of dextrose (which is a type of sugar that basically goes straight to the bloodstream, not the liver, like other sugars) and some organic powdered greens almost right after I'm done training.

About an hour later I might eat a potato or pasta. It greatly depends if I'm in a building, maintenance, or weight loss phase.

Early B.

I must ask : What's the goal of juicing?

Juicing is popular, but is misunderstood. It has no tangible nutritional benefit. It's just convenient. The fiber in food, among other things, slows the absorption of sugar in the blood, and juicing destroys the fiber. For instance, carrots are very fibrous, but when you juice them, they contain a large amount of sugar.

Juicing as a meal replacement is a bad idea. You're supposed to eat a meal, not replace it with juice. Protein shakes are a much better alternative, but as an enhancement to a meal.

John Casler

A surprising amount of GREAT information and awareness here for an AUDIO forum.

While no one knows all the answers, (since we need to adjust our paradigm daily) most of the responses hold some valuable information to the OP.

StereoNut

A surprising amount of GREAT information and awareness here for an AUDIO forum.

While no one knows all the answers, (since we need to adjust our paradigm daily) most of the responses hold some valuable information to the OP.

+1 John!   :thumb:  Thanks again, everyone.  I'm getting the idea that juicing really doesn't fit my needs nutritionally, especially in correlation to my Type2 diabetes.  Maybe a lo-fat, yogurt based smoothie with some sort of lo-carb supplement or protein powder would be better for me...???  I will do some research and ask my Dr. as well.

You guys are the best! :D
SN

RDavidson

+1 John!   :thumb:  Thanks again, everyone.  I'm getting the idea that juicing really doesn't fit my needs nutritionally, especially in correlation to my Type2 diabetes.  Maybe a lo-fat, yogurt based smoothie with some sort of lo-carb supplement or protein powder would be better for me...???  I will do some research and ask my Dr. as well.

You guys are the best! :D
SN

I suggest regular Greek yogurt (not fat free). It doesn't have a high amount of fat or added sugar (unlike run-of-the-mill yogurt which can have as much sugar as ice cream). My suggestion of not getting fat free dairy products is due to all the processing involved. When the fat is removed, so are many of the vitamins and other nutrients. Yogurt might be less susceptible, but I'm not certain. Not to mention, fat aids satiety. Greek yogurt also has a great amount of protein (around 20 grams per serving). Add some frozen blueberries (awesome source of antioxidants) and they add a little sweetness. You can add protein powder if you wish to. I find that it is nice to add at least a little, because Greek yogurt can be a little bit too sour (for my tastes) and vanilla protein powder is a healthy way to sweeten it without added sugar. Yes, it has artificial sweetener. Some may not agree with this or like artificial sweeteners. For me, like anything else of this nature, moderation (of any processed substance) is key. There you have it. A very basic and healthy smoothie, with a pretty good balance of macro nutrients. From there, experiment with adding other things like a frozen strawberry or two, powdered greens, chia seeds, flax seed, natural (no/low added sugar) peanut butter/almond butter, etc. :thumb:

Doublej

Just remember some of the recommendations out here can kill you too!

Toss some butter and coconut oil into your morning coffee, froth it up and you should be good until lunch. Do a search on bulletproof coffee if you want more details.

BTW if you want protein powder without artificial sweetener, look at he D'Adamo proteins. They are free of crap, I think.