Recommend An Amp For $1k or Less

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Recommend An Amp For $1k or Less
« on: 30 Sep 2014, 03:24 pm »
I need as neutral a solid state amp as possible, no class D, for a budget of $1k or less. I'm looking used to increase my bang for the buck.

The speakers it will be used for will be around 95 dB efficient but will be able to handle a couple hundred watts, and I want an amp that can push them pretty hard to test them out.

I've been looking at what's out there and the Proceed HPA-2 or BPA-2 seem like good choices with the HPA amps having double the power at 250W vs the BPA's 125W rating. The BPA is a bit less money, but it might not have quite enough power. The HPA has a rep for being a very robust, powerful amp that can drive anything from what I've read... this speaker should be an easy load and will be efficient, so not sure if the HPA is overkill.

Also found the Parasound 2250 at 250W to be within my budget.

I don't know much about SS amps so please help!  :thumb:

Art_Chicago

Re: Recommend An Amp For $1k or Less
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2014, 03:38 pm »
AVA Synergy 240!  You can read all the positive reviews here on AC  Audio by Van Alstine. You should be able to get one within a grand or so.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:12 pm »
/\ Saw those... not sure on Bryston as they seem to be considered a forward sounding amp and I am looking for something as neutral as possible. The Odyssey looks like it would be perfect but it's a lot of cash. I was thinking of offering $1k shipped but don't want to lowball as I know shipping won't be cheap. $1k is pushing it and I'd love to spend less.

Thanks Art, will look into it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:12 pm »
Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 -- that is if you can find one.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:17 pm »
Dave,

How about Sunfire?

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
Find a used Parasound A21. Very much worth it, and performs at twice it's price. John Curl design.

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:25 pm »
aragon 8002 fits the bill if u can find one.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:27 pm »
Wind Chaser, thanks but no integrated amps please... I have a nice preamp that will be used with the amp. I have not seen any Electron Kinetics amps around but I'll look into it if I do.

Hugh, I'm willing to consider any suggestions... I only saw one Sunfire amp around so far and it was pricey.

geowak, have not seen an A21 but there is a "classic 2250" on agon right now, is that as good?  Nevermind... saw an A21 on ebay and it's $1600... definitely does not look comparable to the 2250.

viggen, will keep my eye out, thanks!

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:27 pm »
Hmmmm.......a neutral amp for less than $1k. Unless you have a lot of experience with a bunch of different amps, finding one that is neutral is pretty tough. All have their personality traits.

The last SS amp under $1k I've owned that I felt was neutral is the NAD C372. It has a lot of power, but is rather boring / flat / neutral, which might be exactly what you want for testing purposes. I think the 375BEE is the newer version of the 372, but I'm unsure of the sound. NAD can vary quite a bit. I've also owned the older C370 and it was very punchy and somewhat hard sounding, which gave it a little more jump and excitement. The C372 is likely far more linear, given its much more refined signature. If the C375BEE is a further evolution, it likely is much more like the C372 but better (more transparent etc).

NAD makes amp only versions of these integrateds too.

simoon

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:32 pm »
Electron Kinetics Eagle 2 -- that is if you can find one.

There's one on Ebay for $550 right now.

A truly great sounding amplifier.

There is even an ex-employee still repairing and upgrading them -

http://www.eagle-audio.com/upgrades.htm

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:35 pm »
Wind Chaser, thanks but no integrated amps please... I have a nice preamp that will be used with the amp. I have not seen any Electron Kinetics amps around but I'll look into it if I do.

Hugh, I'm willing to consider any suggestions... I only saw one Sunfire amp around so far and it was pricey.

geowak, have not seen an A21 but there is a "classic 2250" on agon right now, is that as good?  Nevermind... saw an A21 on ebay and it's $1600... definitely does not look comparable to the 2250.

viggen, will keep my eye out, thanks!

I have a Parasound A21 amp that I use in a secondary system.  It is a very good amp but I don't think that you will find one for $1K.  The Classic line is very good though.

I would try negotiate a price on that Odyssey amp as you can get a brand new Stratos for for $1375

Another amp to consider if you want a ton of power is an Emotiva XPA-2.  I have not heard one but they have their following.  It is probably as good as the Classic 2250

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:48 pm »
Another amp to consider if you want a ton of power is an Emotiva XPA-2.  I have not heard one but they have their following.  It is probably as good as the Classic 2250

https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-2

I have a Parasound A21 amp that I use in a secondary system.  It is a very good amp but I don't think that you will find one for $1K.  The Classic line is very good though.

I would try negotiate a price on that Odyssey amp as you can get a brand new Stratos for for $1375

An A23 might be a good alternative, but I'm not sure if it has enough power for you. In general, I've found Parasound amps to be pretty neutral, consistent, and solid all around.

Rotel might be a good choice also. An RB-1080 would probably suit your needs pretty well and can be had for $500ish.

forkliftHIFI

• Will forklift for Hi-Fi!
« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:53 pm »
I have heard Emotiva is very good bang for the buck (or watts for the buck), and they are not class D.  I do not own one but I am considering one for a second system. 

srb

« Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:58 pm »
An A23 might be a good alternative, but I'm not sure if it has enough power for you.

If the speakers are truly 95dB, then a Parasound A23 125W/225W amplifier would be equivalent to pairing a 500W/900W amp with fairly common 89dB speakers.  Should be plenty.

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:08 pm »
I looked at the Eagle 2a on ebay and I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for given the reviews (forward, sounds like SS) and it would also need to be re-capped... but I could buy it and order the parts kit for around $850, which was about the retail price of that amp way back in the mid-80's.

There is a Parasound A23 around, going to look into that one for sure...

I also think the Proceed BPA-2 would work well and there are a few for sale.

I think the most I'd want to pay for that Odyssey is $800ish, pretty far from the $1200 asking price.

The Emotiva BPA-2 does look like a great deal for a 300 wpc amp that can be bridged to 1kW. Will have to read some reviews...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:11 pm »
If you were to go with the Parasound A23 then strongly consider an AVA Synergy 240.  It is 125 wpc at 8 ohms and double that at 4 ohms.  I compared my Parasound A21 to a Synergy 440 head to head ( I brought my A21 to Frank's house ) and the Synergy sounded better.  And you get the best customer service in the audio industry.

Also, the A21 and A23 are different animals.  The A23 is not just a smaller version of the A21.  The A21 weighs 60 pounds and the A23 28 pounds.  The A21 cost almost 2.5x's the A23.

That Odyssey is worth more than $800.  It is the modded version and a good buy.  I would offer $1K and shipping.

motosapien

« Reply #18 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:15 pm »
Check out some of the Pass Labs or First Watt stuff.  Might find a good diy one for sale.  Your very efficient speakers are calling out for some Nelson Pass magic!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2014, 05:19 pm »
Check out some of the Pass Labs or First Watt stuff.  Might find a good diy one for sale.  Your very efficient speakers are calling out for some Nelson Pass magic!

I agree on Pass as I have an X250 amp but you won't find any Pass amp near the $1K price range and the First Watt stuff is all low power and cost's thousands.