Lounge Audio mkIII - Review - Video

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Lounge Audio mkIII - Review - Video
« on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:30 pm »
Hey folks, just published my latest review of the Lounge Audio LCR mkIII phono preamp. Link is after the review blurb.

"If there was one review that I have done so far that I would want people getting into vinyl to take very seriously, this would be it. The Lounge mkIII is so much more than a phono preamp that does things right, it achieves top shelf performance using just about any moving magnet or high output moving coil cartridges out there and sounds like a million bucks. For anyone, and I mean ANYONE who wants to get into vinyl and looking for a fantastic sounding phono preamp for the cart options mentioned, this is where you should start and finish. End of story."

http://www.newrecordday.com/lounge-audio-mkiii-lcr-phono-preamplifier/

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Lounge Audio mkIII - Review - Video
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:49 pm »
Have you tried the Vista?  Who is an AC sponsor....

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:51 pm »
Have you tried the Vista?  Who is an AC sponsor....

No sir, id be happy to.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:26 pm »
Great idea.  While you're at it throw the Bugle 2 in the mix.
http://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/bugle2

You could have a comparison of the top 3 audiofool budget favorites.  Bet you'd get a million hits on the tube. 

Good job watching what you said about the Pass.  Less forgiving with a budget cart makes sense.  I guess there's more to come on that comparison.

neo

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2014, 04:28 pm »
Great idea.  While you're at it throw the Bugle 2 in the mix.
http://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/bugle2

You could have a comparison of the top 3 audiofool budget favorites.  Bet you'd get a million hits on the tube. 

Good job watching what you said about the Pass.  Less forgiving with a budget cart makes sense.  I guess there's more to come on that comparison.

neo

Yea, I have asked for a sample unit of the bugle and he declined the review.

xsb7244

« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2014, 09:55 pm »
A lot of great comments about Lounge Audio on the web the past few years.  Quality at a low price.  But what about those that want more from Lounge Audio?  A super phono so to speak.  At the high end why can't Lounge Audio make one for under $1,000 for those that want more?

bacobits1

• I spilled my fruitloops
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2014, 10:13 pm »
You have a Vista to compare and the iFI Phono too all under $500 just excellent for the $$.
Both being very adjustable. The Lounge is not. All depends what you are shopping for.

Good review on the Lounge!!!

Heckler75

« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2014, 02:35 am »
the   ifi Phono ($399)   is stupid good!     :thumb:

if you are looking,  for a budget phono,  try the   iFi phono  first,  what a great and adjustable phono pre :green:

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2014, 02:49 am »
The Vista will hold it's own against a lot of the higher end spread as will to my surprise the Emotiva XPS-1 for $149.

BobRex

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm »
A lot of great comments about Lounge Audio on the web the past few years.  Quality at a low price.  But what about those that want more from Lounge Audio?  A super phono so to speak.  At the high end why can't Lounge Audio make one for under $1,000 for those that want more?

I compared the Lounge to a Herron PH1, they were close, very close.  Except for maybe packaging, I don't know what else could be done under a grand.  Now if he took the LCR circuit and wrapped tubes around it.......

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm »
It seems that the vinyl revival and the emergence of better inexpensive chips, has brought an abundance of riches to the budget phono pre offerings.
How's that for an oxymoron?

The Lounge distinguishes itself with the LCR network which has been touted extensively.  Vista has flexibility like no other and is said to beat just about everything < $1K.  Is this because of the flexibility and optimization?  New kids on the block, XPS-1 and ifi phono are silly good.

I think features are at least slightly different on all of these, and some very different.  Someone (not me) ought to organize a bicycle - a group shootout.
I participated in a couple of these on VE many moons ago, and multiple individual results seemed more enlightening (much more) than 1 person's impressions.  You also get evaluations with a wide array of carts.  What do we know about Lounge so far, it's more forgiving therefore sounds better than an XP-15 with a 2M Red?  The Art DJ is said to do the same thing, so we could save the difference in price and get as-good results? 

This requires sending a sample of one or more of these pieces to individual participants for evaluation and comparison.  Because JackD already has a Vista (and XPS-1?) he could compare the other unit to those.  I don't know if anyone is interested in investing in such an endeavor.  Any risk would have to be borne the unit owner.  It's a good way to cut to the chase.
neo

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2014, 01:09 pm »
Just to keep you guys in the loop, ill be getting my hands on the Vista mkIII in November to review...   

We will see!

What do we know about Lounge so far, it's more forgiving therefore sounds better than an XP-15 with a 2M Red?

Here is a list of other things we know about the lounge.

Treble impressions

comparisons made with the lounge were the built in phono section of circa 1990s Onkyo tvsv454 and an older thrift store find Pioneer sa420. In both cases the lounge edged out in the lead in all areas especially in top end extension. Throwing into the mix the upcoming VPI Nomads built in phono section, the Lounge continued to impress when comparing detail, resolution and and a much more accurate representation of top end extension. Ill be posting some high resolution files for you to check out on the review page very soon. This will give you an idea what to expect and what I was hearing and judge for yourself.

Midrange impressions

Midrange on the lounge reminded me of the previously reviewed Lehmann black cube statement but if pressed to ask for a preference id have to say the lounge. While I don’t have a direct comparison on hand I think the lounge sounds slightly more detailed and focused which tends to be what I’m looking for when I’m picking gear. Vocals come through with clarity and easily cut through the mix with authority.

Bass impressions

Bass and dynamics are equally satisfying and had enough slam to convince me that anyone picking up the lounge would enjoy what it has to offer regardless of music selection. Listening to the horrible crows record I was impressed in just how real the drums sounded and the lowest of low kick drums included enough detail to keep me coming back for more. While the pass labs XP15 certainly reaches lower, you would need to have speakers that are capable of digging into subwoofer territory to know what you might be missing out on.

Soundstage impressions

Soundstage was both wide and deep and what stood out the most was the laser line separation of each instrument. While I tend to think this is attributed the top end extension of the lounge it goes to show how these qualities go hand in hand.

All in all folks, the lounge audio is one of those products that makes me wonder why its not being discussed a LOT more and being taken as a very serious contender to much more costly preamps. I cannot fathom any other phono under $500 beating the lounge by a large enough margin that would make me even consider spending the extra money. Granted, for the audiophile who want the flexibility of going moving coil, the deal is off the table. But for music lovers who wanna stick with moving magnet and be done with it… look no further and get the lounge. You will thank me later.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2014, 04:37 pm »
"comparisons made with the lounge were the built in phono section of circa 1990s Onkyo tvsv454 and an older thrift store find Pioneer sa420. In both cases the lounge edged out in the lead in all areas especially in top end extension. Throwing into the mix the upcoming VPI Nomads built in phono section, the Lounge continued to impress when comparing detail, resolution and and a much more accurate representation of top end extension."

You're kidding right? 
Then you talk about the Black Cube Statement which you didn't have on hand, but.....

The Lounge is limited to one 50K input.  Try other carts?  You have a Grado don't you, what happened with that?   Will it work equally well with an AT440, 150MLX or a Nagaoka MP-500 ?

"All in all folks, the lounge audio is one of those products that makes me wonder why its not being discussed a LOT more and being taken as a very serious contender to much more costly preamps. I cannot fathom any other phono under $500 beating the lounge by a large enough margin that would make me even consider spending the extra money."

Why the sales pitch at the end when you haven't heard the other preamps being discussed, practice?  It's good being enthusiastic but that was inappropriate.   It hasn't been discussed more because they sell direct and haven't done enough advertising for the big publications to care.  Tone magazine doesn't count for much, they have a credibility problem. 

I compared the Lounge to a Herron PH1, they were close, very close.  Except for maybe packaging, I don't know what else could be done under a grand.  Now if he took the LCR circuit and wrapped tubes around it.......

Now it gets interesting.  First the Pass, and now extremely close to a Herron PH-1.  More details, BobRex?
neo

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2014, 05:03 pm »
"comparisons made with the lounge were the built in phono section of circa 1990s Onkyo tvsv454 and an older thrift store find Pioneer sa420. In both cases the lounge edged out in the lead in all areas especially in top end extension. Throwing into the mix the upcoming VPI Nomads built in phono section, the Lounge continued to impress when comparing detail, resolution and and a much more accurate representation of top end extension."

You're kidding right? 
Then you talk about the Black Cube Statement which you didn't have on hand, but.....

The Lounge is limited to one 50K input.  Try other carts?  You have a Grado don't you, what happened with that?   Will it work equally well with an AT440, 150MLX or a Nagaoka MP-500 ?

"All in all folks, the lounge audio is one of those products that makes me wonder why its not being discussed a LOT more and being taken as a very serious contender to much more costly preamps. I cannot fathom any other phono under $500 beating the lounge by a large enough margin that would make me even consider spending the extra money."

Why the sales pitch at the end when you haven't heard the other preamps being discussed, practice?  It's good being enthusiastic but that was inappropriate.   It hasn't been discussed more because they sell direct and haven't done enough advertising for the big

I wont touch this with a 10 foot pole. Thanks for the feedback.

BTW: The Grado SP1 is 0.5mv. Thats what "happened to that"

Ron

Vedder323

• New Record Day

BobRex

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm »
Now it gets interesting.  First the Pass, and now extremely close to a Herron PH-1.  More details, BobRex?
neo

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96624.20   Read through some of the commentary, there are a number of comparisons made.  I'm on page 2.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2014, 07:15 pm »
Vedder,
Sorry if I seem overly critical, but a review with one budget cart is of limited relevance IMO.   Much the same holds true for the thread from 3 years ago, which I admit I forgot about.  Used in conjunction with a SUT and unknown cart may tell us something, but exactly what and how much?  Put a SUT in the picture and response of the stage on its own, is masked.  It's not the same as plugging a cart directly in. 
neo

BobRex

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:59 am »
Except the SUT was used on both phono stages, so anything attributable to that device is constant and can be factored out.  Since I only use low output MCs, the Lounge doesn't have sufficient gain by itself.