Lounge Audio mkIII - Review - Video

WireNut

Re: Lounge Audio mkIII - Review - Video
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2014, 02:08 am »

Just to keep you guys in the loop, ill be getting my hands on the Vista mkIII in November to review...   

Ron,
Is it a Vista MK3 or MK2 that your going to review  :?:
Nothing is posted on the Vista audio website about a MK3 unit so I'm just wondering.
I own a Vista ACLE MK1 unit.

felixscerri

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2014, 06:48 am »
G'day all, an interesting thread.  I've had a Lounge Audio LCR MKIII for some months now and I love it with no complaints at all. 

Indeed with some phono stages I've owned, some provision to vary the cartridge loading would have been nice, but not so with the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII.  It seems to work well without any need for cartridge  loading 'tinkering'. 

I find the bass end of the audio spectrum particularly convincing and reproduced with startling realism.  Listening to my vinyl copy of the JHE Electric Ladyland album recently, Mitch's drum work never sounded so good and likewise Noel's bass work.  It is documented on the website that the distortion figures (2nd and 4th harmonics), are 'higher' than I usually note from top notch phono stages, but no doubt this contributes somewhat to the delightful overall sound quality of the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII.

This is a phono stage that I can happily live with in the very long term, along with my beloved DIY ESP P06/P99 sub bass filter combination.  Certainly my Shure M97x/SAS loves this phono stage!  Regards, Felix.             
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2014, 07:59 am by felixscerri »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:39 pm »
Hi Felix,
Good to hear from you.  You ought to drop by more often, you always have something interesting to say.

I noticed the S/N isn't particularly impressive either, although it might be an unweighted figure.  What do you make of the use of a video chip, doesn't really matter? 
I was looking up the use of different audio chips for phono and it seems the input impedance of some is more appropriate for LOMCs and others are better for higher impedance source (MM).  Think this has something to do with the video chip?

Maybe it's the use of an inductor (LCR) that makes the chip more appropriate?  Formerly, LCR phono stage was a rare and exotic beast with a devout following.  I'll see if I can find some photos.  I assume this is a separate inductor and not built into the chip?
neo

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:17 pm »

Ron,
Is it a Vista MK3 or MK2 that your going to review  :?:
Nothing is posted on the Vista audio website about a MK3 unit so I'm just wondering.
I own a Vista ACLE MK1 unit.

MK3 buddy, new stuff is always exciting. Ill keep ya posted.

bacobits1

• I spilled my fruitloops
« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2014, 02:02 pm »
Boris replied it's only a case change on the MKIII nothing else.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2014, 02:05 pm »

Good to know! Thats a bummer.

WireNut

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »

That is true. Boris replied to my post and said the MK3 is due to a sheet metal vendor change only. Everything else is the same as the MK2.

Still I'd like to here your review on how the Vista stands up to more expensive units like your pass labs unit.

felixscerri

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:06 pm »
G'day all.  Neobop:  In all honesty the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII is a bit of an enigma as based solely on its specs, I probably wouldn't have bought it however the LCR approach intrigued me and for whatever reason the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII does sound wonderful to these ears! 

This phono stage has actually displaced my former favourite, the all FET ANT Kora 3T SE and whilst that is a wonderful sounding phono stage with an endearingly 'gentle/easy' sound, it just doesn't convincingly play Rock very well, giving it an 'easy listening' sound. 

In contrast the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII sounds perfectly at home with all music genres, and particularly hard Rock.  I admit to being constantly torn between the simple and the more complex in circuit design with each side having their own respective merits but again, the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII impresses me with the way it plays 'music'.  Regards, Felix. 

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2014, 09:23 pm »
G'day all.  Neobop:  In all honesty the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII is a bit of an enigma as based solely on its specs, I probably wouldn't have bought it however the LCR approach intrigued me and for whatever reason the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII does sound wonderful to these ears! 

This phono stage has actually displaced my former favourite, the all FET ANT Kora 3T SE and whilst that is a wonderful sounding phono stage with an endearingly 'gentle/easy' sound, it just doesn't convincingly play Rock very well, giving it an 'easy listening' sound. 

In contrast the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII sounds perfectly at home with all music genres, and particularly hard Rock.  I admit to being constantly torn between the simple and the more complex in circuit design with each side having their own respective merits but again, the Lounge Audio LCR MKIII impresses me with the way it plays 'music'.  Regards, Felix.

Agree 100% Loves Rock and Roll.

lounge Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:31 pm »
That is true. Boris replied to my post and said the MK3 is due to a sheet metal vendor change only. Everything else is the same as the MK2.

Still I'd like to here your review on how the Vista stands up to more expensive units like your pass labs unit.
Firstly, I would like to thank New Record Day for such a fabulous and engaging review of the LCR MkIII.

Whew! convicted in absentia of selling the same guts in new clothing, OUCH! But understandable. Lounge Audio would never do such a thing. The Loungeaudio.com site does not outline the circuit changes made from MkII to MkIII. However, Take a look at the eBay listing. The changes are outlined there. Sorry for this oversight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCR-Phono-Preamplifier-Lounge-Audio-MK-III-New-/261584607967?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Here are the details cut and pasted for those who choose not to visit the 'Bay. BUT if you don't click the eBay link you won't see the esteemed Kevin Gray, mastering engineer extraordinaire, holding a LCR MkIII in his hands just after auditioning it in his hands down, killer mastering facility.

This is a unit with upgrades to the circuit when compared to a MK-II
Mk-III Has film capacitors for the low frequency filter pole. This gets the bass to sound much more accurate.
Also an extra quiet gain setting resistor is used on the front end amplifier.
The gain setting resistor is a lower noise component.
Cartridge loading capacitor is 80pf polystyrene paralleled with 22pf mica for a more accurate response.
Cartridge loading resistor is a Caddock bulk foil type. This, along with the polystyrene supply capacitors mentioned below, really clinched the sound for an accurate representation of transients and first reflection room sound cues. 
Polystyrene filter capacitors are used on the power supply line feeding each op-amp. These must be located very close to the power pins of the op-amp so that they have a low impedance path to deliver fast transient current. This gives more sense of "air" and allows fast attack instruments better fidelity.
The PCB is 2oz copper thickness to give lower trace impedance
This unit has extra ferrite beads on the power line to reduce hash noise from the wall voltage.
The above additions have only been available to a selected few so far. Not even did ToneAudio magazine get these enhancements for the review unit.

Oh, and BTW, who is Boris? 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

lounge Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:40 pm »
Oops! So you were talking about Vista having the same chassis? My apologies!

Vedder323

• New Record Day
« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:41 pm »
Whew! convicted in absentia of selling the same guts in new clothing, OUCH! But understandable. Lounge Audio would never do such a thing.

Hey there Lounge,

This got derailed, he wasnt talking about the Lounge MKII and MKIII, hes referring to the Vista MKII and MKIII :)

lounge Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:48 pm »
Hey there Lounge,

This got derailed, he wasnt talking about the Lounge MKII and MKIII, hes referring to the Vista MKII and MKIII :)
:lol:  But there is no real info on the Lounge website of the evolution of the three revisions. See, things work out.  :green: