What's with Diana Krall? And does she still have to do this?

charmerci

Re: What's with Diana Krall? And does she still have to do this?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2014, 05:46 pm »

Now if I was Elvis, not sure I would want some of these pictures presented with the album.

Uh, he was a touring punk rock group to start out - 70's pre-AIDS. He's had his share of babes and knows what the deal is in music.

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2014, 05:57 pm »
Got to admit, she's still got it for someone born in 1964. But whats with the orchestral music. she sounds much better to me with a trio/quartet as on first three/four albums. Hear/read Glad…  is better in that respect.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2014, 06:36 pm »
It seems to have worked for Liona Boyd, Canadian classic guitarist!

This is one of her album covers that created a bit of a stir in the classical community. The image dates from the 70's, I think.

bunky

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2014, 06:59 pm »
Dianna Krall is beautiful and the photos are tastefully done  :dunno:

jhm731

« Reply #24 on: 31 Aug 2014, 07:04 pm »
The tour to promote her new album:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 31 Aug 2014, 07:39 pm »
I've been so busy the last few years that I've fallen a bit behind. Didn't realize she has a newer album, I'll have to check it out.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2014, 08:03 pm »
I liked her music long before I saw a picture of her.

Agree with SMK, don't care much for the orchestra back up, especially the arrangements.  Love her singing with a small jazz ensemble.  Her piano skills do the rest.

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2014, 08:18 pm »
She uses her sex appeal to her advantage. Madonna, Beyonce, Barbara Streisand, Lady GaGa, Tina Turner, and the list goes on and on. I think that is in contrast to men, who often just get by on talent. Not trying to be sexist, but woman often use ALL the assets they have to say in the limelight. I also think she is going through a women's version of the mid life crisis. She wants people think she is still sexy.......at her age.

Nick77

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2014, 08:59 pm »
The tour to promote her new album:

Did a complete 180 in this new photo. I hope Wallflower is better than her previous album, she lost me on that one.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2014, 09:30 pm »
She's still sexy and I've been a fan for many years; although I wasn't crazy about her last two albums.  I'm wishing she would get back to her bop roots and just let it rip.   

WireNut

« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2014, 09:34 pm »

She's still sexy and I've been a fan for many years; although I wasn't crazy about her last two albums.  I'm wishing she would get back to her bop roots and just let it rip.

Amen to that  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #31 on: 1 Sep 2014, 12:09 am »
Back in the day, another star whose album covers probably didn't hurt sales any was Linda Ronstadt. As has been pointed out already, a lot of today's "stars" are nothing but posers who would be nowhere without their looks and autotune. Janis Joplin probably wouldn't be able to get a recording contract today.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #32 on: 1 Sep 2014, 01:05 am »
Janis Joplin probably wouldn't be able to get a recording contract today.

Excuse me? ....On second thought, you might be right - I jumped to the conclusion you meant she sang out of tune...

dB Cooper

« Reply #33 on: 1 Sep 2014, 01:38 am »
Oh no. It's just that today it's about f***ability über alles; how good you look in the video. Talent may not even be as high as second.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 1 Sep 2014, 02:50 am »
She uses her sex appeal to her advantage. Madonna, Beyonce, Barbara Streisand, Lady GaGa, Tina Turner, and the list goes on and on. I think that is in contrast to men, who often just get by on talent. Not trying to be sexist, but woman often use ALL the assets they have to say in the limelight. I also think she is going through a women's version of the mid life crisis. She wants people think she is still sexy.......at her age.

Huh???  Ever hear of a guy named Elvis?  How about the "Boy Band" phenomena, or, perhaps, Enrique Iglesias, Jon Bon Jovi?  Not trying to be sexist?  Certainly female musicians have no monopoly on expressing their sexuality, and using it as an aspect of their appeal.
Additionally: so you are asserting that sexual appeal and sexuality should end at 40, good luck with that.
It occurs to me that the responses in this thread are revealing much more about the posters themselves (as is often the case with criticism such as this) rather than the topic at hand.

geowak

« Reply #35 on: 1 Sep 2014, 04:03 am »
Well I have just about all DK's albums and I luv her music. But I stand by what I say, she has and is selling her sex appeal. I am not even saying it's wrong or right. I take your point on the "men sell sex appeal too".

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 1 Sep 2014, 04:10 am »
Men might sell sex appeal but for us it's usually a bonus.  With women it's expected.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 1 Sep 2014, 10:19 am »
This cover demeans the position of women imo.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2014, 02:15 pm »

FRM: This is what I would be interested in discussing.  Now, if a marketing/sales type at the record company forces a female musician into putting a provocative image onto the album cover, against the musician's own wishes, then I might agree.  But, if the musician, accepting themself as a sexual being, and indeed embracing their own sexuality, and the fact that sexual appeal is part of their artistic expression, decides to use such an image, how would that demean the position of women?

Indeed, it seems that we still are living in a world where sexuality is not something to be celebrated and rather it is something to be ashamed of.

Sexuality is part of the artistic expression of many musicians, male and female.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Being confident and comfortable with one's own sexuality (man or women) is a good thing, and expressing it as part of a creative endeavor should not demean anyone, on the contrary: by owning one's own sexuality it can be empowering. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2014, 02:30 pm »
I'll have to agree with this. The cover depicts Ms. Krall as a prostitute lounging about in her kinky black outfit in a cathouse. How does this relate to the music? It's a rather gross marketing ploy....nothing more. I don't see anything "artfull" at all.

I would prefer to see a cover that shows her actually performing in concert. Hah... I'd doubt that you'd ever see her, in concert wearing such an outfit. :roll: