NFL Football ('14-'15)

finsup

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #740 on: 2 Feb 2015, 09:59 pm »
The network?  Yes.  But you've got guys on there who made a living playing the game, so they are vested in it too. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #741 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:16 pm »
The network?  Yes.  But you've got guys on there who made a living playing the game, so they are vested in it too.
Vested? Only insofar as it keeps the gravy train a'runnin. I'll grant you that they are long time fans and would be talking about it (probably in much different terms) even if they weren't still in the biz, but what you are hearing is all for propagation of the buzz.
Think Benghazi.

finsup

« Reply #742 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm »
I understand what you are saying.  And yes, the network has an interest.  It's called business, and yes, the goal is profit. 

So what?  It isn't any different than what we (the participants here) are doing, just scaled up.  We talking about the same things they are.  Look, if these guys weren't talking, they'd get fired.  And if we didn't have a sports network like ESPN, we'd want one. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #743 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm »
I understand what you are saying.  And yes, the network has an interest.  It's called business, and yes, the goal is profit. 

So what?  It isn't any different than what we (the participants here) are doing, just scaled up.  We talking about the same things they are.  Look, if these guys weren't talking, they'd get fired.  And if we didn't have a sports network like ESPN, we'd want one.
YUP!!!
I get all that. All I'm telling you is to ignore anything you don't like. That's what I'm doing. If those guys insist on trying to gin up controversy and create stories where there are none, you can ignore them rather than citing them.

finsup

« Reply #744 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:45 pm »
OK.  The call was/is a story.  So was Benghazi.  And will be again.

Back to game, I know some people think that catch at the end was luck, but funny thing, we've seen several remarkable pass caches this year - both at the Pro and semi-pro (college) level.   Luck. Yes, but also practice and good reflexes.  Reminds me (in a different way) the catch in the Giants/Patriots SB.  Luck?  Yes, but also a display of incredible determination and strength.

As far as the pass play goes, I still think it is the dumbest call I have ever seen and will likely rank as the dumbest call in SB history.  I like Pete Carroll. Listening to his press conference though, when he basically said they had a throw-away play, that throwing would either be a touchdown or an incomplete.  Really?  Think again, Pete.  I believe Butler said that Belichick had them ready for that play.  They had seen the Seahawks run it before.  So, Belichick was once again two steps ahead of the other coach. 

a.wayne

« Reply #745 on: 2 Feb 2015, 11:50 pm »
I think they call this monday morning QB , would it be the same if the rookie missed and SH  won ...? dont think so ........   :D

MttBsh

« Reply #746 on: 3 Feb 2015, 12:27 am »
If the Wilson's pass on that final play had been caught as planned and won the game for Seattle, would all of these claims of the dumbest call in NFL history even have come up?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #747 on: 3 Feb 2015, 12:43 am »
If the Wilson's pass on that final play had been caught as planned and won the game for Seattle, would all of these claims of the dumbest call in NFL history even have come up?
No... but it wasn't. And it was still a dumb call.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #748 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:41 am »
No it wasn't a dumb call, it was the right call badly executed.  As I said before, second down with one timeout facing zero coverage and eight in the box dictates a pass play.  The pass play is one that's called and executed successfully all the time on the goaline.  The receiver cannot allow the corner to cross his face, the other receiver has to get a rub on the corner, and Wilson has to throw the ball lower than the facemask.  None of these keys were accomplished and if only one of them were it would be an incompletion at worst.  The same poor execution on a roll out or a running play could have ended up just as disastrously.   

a.wayne

« Reply #749 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:45 am »
Deaf ears L98,  Losers dont hear too well ............. :rotflmao:

charmerci

« Reply #750 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:50 am »
No it wasn't a dumb call, it was the right call badly executed.  As I said before, second down with one timeout facing zero coverage and eight in the box dictates a pass play.  The pass play is one that's called and executed successfully all the time on the goaline.  The receiver cannot allow the corner to cross his face, the other receiver has to get a rub on the corner, and Wilson has to throw the ball lower than the facemask.  None of these keys were accomplished and if only one of them were it would be an incompletion at worst.  The same poor execution on a roll out or a running play could have ended up just as disastrously.   

Well, I would say that it was a dumb play because it was a high risk call in a situation where other plays could be much lower risk while still be deceptive or unusual from so close to the goal line.

Agree to disagree! :green:

a.wayne

« Reply #751 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:51 am »
Go Patriots ...........  :green:

rodge827

« Reply #752 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:11 am »
The game is over!

It was a good play the was badly executed with the leagues best running back being used as a decoy.

A rookie corner made the play of his lifetime and his team won the game as a result!

I liked the Fiat commercial best.

Any other opinions on the Super Show?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #753 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:22 am »
I watched most of the game at brew pubs on the way back home from splitboarding down at Monarch Pass (CO), but I did not see the finish.  We listened on the radio.  The first thought which went through my mind was: Wow, why did they not run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 on 2nd down!!!!  Idiots!

Then I saw the replay.  It really was the right call, NE was definitely in a run stop defense, even with Seattle in a spread.  Problem was, Seattle executed the play less than perfectly, and the NE (rookie) made a great play saving the game for his team.  I dislike the NE Patriots personally, but I have to congratulate them on playing a very, very good game: getting Seattle to go offsides was huge after the interception.

Seattle has one more year with Russell Wilson getting paid peanuts, then they are gonna have to step up and pay him, and will have cap problems, likely one more year for Seattle to contest for the Championship.

OzarkTom

« Reply #754 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:26 am »
In my next lifetime, I want to be a NFL owner. Take a look at Jerry Jones party bus. Look at all those babes.  :thumb:

http://deadspin.com/nfl-execs-pissed-that-head-of-officiating-seen-on-cowbo-1618048217

Oops, someone else was on the bus that should not have been. Could this be the reason the Cowboys won that controversial wild card game?

charmerci

« Reply #755 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:34 am »

In a surprising non-SB change of pace -- Johnny probably thought he could slip in unnoticed! (I guess...)

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/blog/ravens-talk/browns-qb-johnny-manziel-enters-rehab

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #756 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:36 am »
I think some of the criticism of the call are based on cognitive biases.  First off, the decision itself wasn't stupid. Lynch had five chances from the 1 yard line this season; he scored once and was stuffed four times (80% failure).  Wilson had not thrown a pick from the one the entire season.  In fact, IIRC not a single pick was thrown by anyone in the NFL this season from that down and distance.  The Pats had their run-stuffer formation in place, ready for the run.  And Carroll admitted after the game that he expected the Pats to call time out- when they didn't he had to improvise on the fly.  Given their time-out and time situation they couldn't have swung their big hammer (Lynch) at the goal line three times.  If the first attempt didn't score they'd at best get one more try, or they'd have had to make a quick pass to stop the clock.  Statistically you're better throwing on an early down when the opponent expects a run.  The call was "bad" in retrospect because it was intercepted, but realistically there are very few picks at the one.

Secondly the interception closed the door to possibilities that are unclear. Sure, Lynch might have rammed it down on the first try, winning the game.  Or Brady could have had the ball with 20-25 seconds and three time outs, winning the game for the Patriots.  Or Lynch and Wilson could have fumbled the exchange, also losing the game.  There's no basis in reality for assuming that running the ball would have automatically won it.

Lastly the whole thing smacks of shortsightedness.  Many plays were just as pivotal but there's a bias to the ones that occur at the end of the game.  Take away one of the two Brady interceptions (eg the first on in the end zone that probably took points off the board) and the 'Hawks aren't in the game to even have a chance at it.  One of their big plays came as the result of a badly blown non-call when the receiver pushed off the defensive back.  It was pretty obvious yet not called.  The last big catch to set up the short yardage play was also incredible luck.  It took skill to make the catch but I'd be shocked if the guy could make that catch twice out of thirty attempts.  So we take it as "fate" that all those earlier luck plays went in their favor yet the interception that sealed their fate somehow isn't considered bad luck, but rather a bad choice.  I don't think that's logical.  Against nearly any other team but the Patriots that slant would have been a easy TD.  If you look at the film again you'll see that the receiver was wide open (or he absolutely looked wide open to Wilson).

I think that last point is really interesting.  Butler was deep down the depth chart, yet Coach B hit him with that play in practice.  And Butler got burned by it!  It was prescient that Coach B had even the backups coached up to recognize and expect that play.

IMO the Patriots played a great game and flat out won it.  It's a shame that only one team could win.  They both played with grit and determination.  I think they're both championship-caliber teams, and I won't be a bit surprised if one or even both of them are back in the Super Bowl next year!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #757 on: 3 Feb 2015, 03:28 am »
The play that would've had the greatest chance of success is the option. Fake handoff to Lynch and Russell Wilson runs left to the edge and if he can, run it in, otherwise pass to TE or tall receiver in corner or end of endzone.
QB sneak could surprise.
Alternatively, just handoff to Lynch and QB fakes to outside.
I'm sure that Lynch could get 1 yard in 3 tries.

a.wayne

« Reply #758 on: 3 Feb 2015, 03:46 am »
In my next lifetime, I want to be a NFL owner. Take a look at Jerry Jones party bus. Look at all those babes.  :thumb:

http://deadspin.com/nfl-execs-pissed-that-head-of-officiating-seen-on-cowbo-1618048217

Oops, someone else was on the bus that should not have been. Could this be the reason the Cowboys won that controversial wild card game?

Best part , its all tax free ........ :)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #759 on: 3 Feb 2015, 10:59 am »

Best part , its all tax free ........ :)
According to my understanding, the NFL itself is a not for profit organization in the eyes of the IRS. However, the exemptions that are conveyed with that status recognition do not apply to the individual teams and certainly not their owners.