NFL Football ('14-'15)

jimdgoulding

Re: NFL Football ('14-'15)
« Reply #780 on: 3 Feb 2015, 05:56 pm »
Risky? In terms of turnover %?  The turnover % on that call is very small.
Well, I'd venture keeping it on the ground is smaller.  And, that Seattle would have been successful.

Pneumonic

« Reply #781 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:03 pm »
Well, I'd venture keeping it on the ground is smaller.  And, that Seattle would have been successful.

We'll never know the what if part but I would bet the farm the fumbling % is much higher down there against stacked goal-line formations.

You see slant calls all the time down in the 5 yard line mark. I can't recall a single INT off such a call, other than this one.

charmerci

« Reply #782 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:08 pm »
Risky? In terms of turnover %?  The turnover % on that call is very small.

Well, risky in terms of that's where a large number of players are. Linemen could stick their hands up and linebackers are all hanging around there.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #783 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:32 pm »
Hahaha!  Really????

The play called was a good call for the situation.  That is not a risky play at all: for those who suggest Marshawn Lynch "never" fumbles, hahahha, the same can said for Russell Wilson; he "never" gets intercepted.

Seattle had 3 plays to run, 1 timeout, and 30 seconds.  There are many good reasons to run a pass as the first play: There are two main possible outcomes, an incomplete, which stops the clock, and guarantees that Seattle will have time to run plays on 3rd and 4th downs, even two running plays, or a game winning TD.  An interception on that route, with those players, is such a remote possibility that it would not be considered and it is not more likely than a RB fumbling.  NE was in a run stop defense, and the intended receiver had an apparent mis-match.  I suspect that Pete C. would do the same thing again given the same set of circumstances, and well he should.

It is hilarious to me those posting here who think they know the better play to run under those circumstances: let me know what NFL team you have coached to a Superbowl victory, and then I would consider your opinion on that.  An out is better, really, that is a much more difficult throw.

Bottom line for me is that Seattle did not execute the play very well, and the defender guessed right and made a remarkable play: even the fact that the defender actually intercepted the ball rather than knocking it down shows a really good understanding of the situation at that very moment, especially for a rookie: Chapeau!

Pneumonic

« Reply #784 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:35 pm »
Well, risky in terms of that's where a large number of players are. Linemen could stick their hands up and linebackers are all hanging around there.

But, this is far less risky compared to pounding a guy into an 8 men box comprised of some of the largest and strongest men on the planet who have been taught since pop warner ball that the #1 objective in such a play is to ..... get the guy with the ball and rip it away from his possession.  :P

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #785 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:45 pm »
At least that game explained why Pete Carroll is the former NE coach and Little Bill is the current one. Cousin Pete was outsmarted big time. And Malcolm Butler should be pictured on a postage stamp.

Remember back around game 3 when the same sports press was speculating about Brady being washed up and the Patriot Dynasty dead? That looks pretty stupid in retrospect, wouldn't you say? Try not to let them tell you what to think.

Pneumonic

« Reply #786 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:47 pm »
Bottom line for me is that Seattle did not execute the play very well, and the defender guessed right and made a remarkable play: even the fact that the defender actually intercepted the ball rather than knocking it down shows a really good understanding of the situation at that very moment, especially for a rookie: Chapeau!

+1.  That Butler trusted his coaching and reacted as impressively as he did is a testament to not only himself but to that Patriots staff. 

Lockette seemed to have played too passively on that call. If he played it as aggressively as Butler did, that's an easy TD.

Butler made an incredible play.

Pneumonic

« Reply #787 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:56 pm »
At least that game explained why Pete Carroll is the former NE coach and Little Bill is the current one. Cousin Pete was outsmarted big time. And Malcolm Butler should be pictured on a postage stamp.

Remember back around game 3 when the same sports press was speculating about Brady being washed up and the Patriot Dynasty dead? That looks pretty stupid in retrospect, wouldn't you say? Try not to let them tell you what to think.

One of my takeaways from this season ..... it has made it blatantly obvious that today's media are mostly all a bunch of dunces who are an embarrassment to their profession. Sorry about the stereotype but integrity is sorely lacking in this profession (and I use this term loosely).

a.wayne

« Reply #788 on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:05 pm »
In all professions, not even honest, professional  prostitutes anymore .. :rotflmao:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/02/warren-sapp-arrested-arizona-super-bowl-soliciting-a-prostitute/

charmerci

« Reply #789 on: 3 Feb 2015, 07:15 pm »

It is hilarious to me those posting here who think they know the better play to run under those circumstances: let me know what NFL team you have coached to a Superbowl victory, and then I would consider your opinion on that.

If you can't be a MMQB, what's the point of watching????   :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #790 on: 3 Feb 2015, 08:41 pm »
Hmm... I thought they had 2 timeouts left. :scratch: :oops:
They had one left because of poor game management and coaching.  They took the other two during stopped clocks!!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #791 on: 3 Feb 2015, 11:23 pm »
"It is hilarious to me those posting here who think they know the better play to run under those circumstances: let me know what NFL team you have coached to a Superbowl victory, and then I would consider your opinion on that.  An out is better, really, that is a much more difficult throw".

"Hahaha!  Really?"  They had two or three plays for cryin out loud.  Keep it on the ground.  Between Lynch or an end around by Wilson after a fake, I would bet they get in.  And "out is better", dunno why you say its a "much more difficult throw".  Loop it up soes only your guy gets it in the corner is one way to avoid traffic.  Seattle blew it.  All the TV pundits had to have something to talk about this morning but ESPN's Steven A. Smith just called it what it was.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #792 on: 3 Feb 2015, 11:36 pm »
This was too funny not to share...

Pneumonic

« Reply #793 on: 4 Feb 2015, 12:39 am »
As is this ..... the face to go with the arm

a.wayne

« Reply #794 on: 4 Feb 2015, 01:59 am »
:rotflmao:

Pneumonic

« Reply #795 on: 4 Feb 2015, 02:18 am »
For those interested in seeing the field angle view of the play. This really shows the development in perfect detail.

Hell of a play by the Butler kid. Also, note how Browner jams up Kersey to avoid letting him set the pick. Flawless execution by Browner and Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgloErF-H2c

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #796 on: 4 Feb 2015, 02:34 am »
For those interested in seeing the field angle view of the play. This really shows the development in perfect detail.

Hell of a play by the Butler kid. Also, note how Browner jams up Kersey to avoid letting him set the pick. Flawless execution by Browner and Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgloErF-H2c

Man that happened fast! Yep, if Browner doesn't do his job of jamming Kearse that pick doesn't happen.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #797 on: 4 Feb 2015, 03:33 am »
Mr. Barrows, that's quite some system you have and I don't think I'm speculating.  Wow.   

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #798 on: 4 Feb 2015, 05:48 am »
Well, it's just a game. :lol:  I like both teams, just like the Pats a little more.  To me it was cool to see history made.  It's especially cool since I'm getting to be an old fart. :thumb:  Brady set the QB record for the longest span between Super Bowl wins (seems like just yesterday I watched that young pup win his first ring!).  I think it's neat that in a young man's game an "old guy" like Brady can still play at the highest levels.  It's just a lot of fun to watch him play.

I think the Seahawks are in great shape with Wilson, too.  He has such poise for being so young.  Seems pretty cool and collected in the biggest games.  He threw a pick, true, but that was not a bad throw at all- more just a fantastic job of a DB reading the play perfectly and jumping the route.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #799 on: 4 Feb 2015, 04:41 pm »