Let's rebel against Audiophile music!!!!

tortugaranger

• Industry Contributor
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Let's rebel against Audiophile music!!!!
« Reply #100 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:20 pm »
Me thinks we apply too many labels to things over which we we're not likely to ever agree. But it's what we do. I've a collection approaching 35,000 tracks. 95% of that is now FLAC. I've picked and  repicked out a playlist of top 50 tracks that I consider fantastic "audiophile music" because it's both recorded extremely well and sounds great on my rig (and most good systems). Music types run across multiple genres. If I'm at a show and am looking to judge one piece of gear against other gear I own or have heard, ideally I'd prefer to hear these reference tunes. Otherwise there's just too many variables in a hobby that already has too many variables. I also have music that I love and sounds great in my crappy car stereo but sounds like crap in my great home stereo. Wouldn't want to have any of that played at a show because I know it sounds bad on great gear. Hence, "audiophile music" at shows.

Cheers,
Morten

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #101 on: 14 Jul 2014, 06:51 pm »
An interesting comment I got speaking to an exhibitor is that often it's the attendees that are too timid in their music selections - or bring otherwise god-awful demo tracks.  I.e. The exhibitor loves and is dying to hear cool and interesting new music, but often the attendees bring or requests the same old audiophile warhorses, or sometimes brings very weird test tracks that can hardly be considered music at all. 

Take away message : don't be afraid to either request or bring "real music" at a show, which includes not demanding play of that weird japanese kabuki music test track you use at home.  And of course, being an audiophile event, not that low rez MP3 Britney Spears track either.  All else should be fair game. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #102 on: 14 Jul 2014, 07:03 pm »
So what happens when you play, in your opinion, "real music" but other  consider "god awful"?

Rclark

« Reply #103 on: 14 Jul 2014, 07:35 pm »
Does your streaming service stream in lossless?

No, but Sony does have a dedicated lossless player and lossless service either available or soon. That said, Music Unlimited is fabulous. Go for the free trial.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #104 on: 14 Jul 2014, 07:49 pm »
So what happens when you play, in your opinion, "real music" but other  consider "god awful"?

Don't think anyone's trying to be taste police, just that common sense should prevail in terms of selection and sound quality. By god awful I'm thinking the patently bizarre tracks or test tones etc that are not typically listened to for their musical merits.

So if you have a hi quality track even if it's Lady Gaga (assuming such a thing exists), go for it.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #105 on: 15 Jul 2014, 05:04 am »
So if you have a hi quality track even if it's Lady Gaga (assuming such a thing exists), go for it.

It isn't about the "quality" of a track. It's about the track.

You played J. Geils on your "old" system. Would you not listen to it if it didn't sound "quality"? Of course you would, because you like J. Geils. If I played you the cassette on a boombox, would you not enjoy it?

GagGag would not be the example I would use. I would choose Pink. None the less, the point of this thread is for people to not have to hide because they enjoy "regular" music. Commercially played, non-audiophile "regular music.