Nearfield listening - Adam F7? Tannoy Reveal 802?

rockadanny

Nearfield listening - Adam F7? Tannoy Reveal 802?
« on: 23 Jun 2014, 05:30 pm »
Been contemplating nearfield setup at my desk for quite some time - tired of wearing headphones.
Will be low/mid SPLs, with an occasional blast on Friday afternoons  :guitar:
Considered many different monitors and narrow floorstanders, DIY single driver, but then was suggested I try powered monitors. Bam! I think I might like this solution.
Listened to many at Guitar Center. Most sounded like noise from plastic boxes, but did seem to like to: Adam F5 and Tannoy Reveal 502.
However, since I'd prefer to not run a sub, I'm thining of going back to listen to Adam F7 and Tannoy 802 for better mid/bass and bass.
Any experiences with either of these?
Any reasons for not selecting either of these?

What do you think?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Nearfield listening - Adam F7? Tannoy Reveal 802?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:28 pm »
The idea of audiophiles using active designs has been long overdue. The technical advantages are many and very substantial.  Keep in mind the differences between powered and active design (nearly all professional monitors are active).

F3 of 43 - 46 Hz could be overwhelming on a desktop (versus large open retail spaces), depends on how close by the walls are.  Note that most studio monitors have a dry/un-involving sound and are designed to reveal all the warts (and be fatiguing) while audiophile speakers strive to provide an emotional connection.  Audiophile reviews for active monitors (that don't have a studio perspective) are hard to come by however Audiostream would be a good place to start.

Check out recent thread for powered/active speakers here at AC.

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2014, 08:41 pm »
Thanks JLM!

F3 of 43 - 46 Hz could be overwhelming on a desktop

Concerning this issue, is it possible a smaller speaker (e.g., F5 - rated down to 52 Hz) in a desktop situation is able to satisfactorily produce 43-46Hz freqs.?
Or am I just out of luck because of a desktop setup?

I will check out those threads.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:17 pm »
Reviewer at Audiostream seemed to like the Adam monitor (different model, but still).
Also checked out their recommendations for USB DACs as well.

Nice source for gear reviews! Thanks again JLM!  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:58 am »
Lots of reasons for not selecting them but lots of reasons for selecting them too.

How much time do you want to spend looking at options? Will you consider powered speakers (single amp, passive crossover design)? If yes you can add AudioEngine, Vantoo, Kef, Equator Audio D5, Aktimate and Quad to the mix.

Can we assume that you listened to the KRK Rokit G3 series and did not like them?

This will keep you busy for a while.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors/all

Happy hunting.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2014, 02:20 am »
Thanks Doublej,

I listened to several of the non-passive (not sure which were powered and which were activate) monitors they had at Guitar Center. There was a KRK in the mix, which I did not prefer, but not sure if it was a Rokit G3. Cannot recall specifically why I did not like that specific one, other than to say I was looking for a pair which sounded most natural to me - least boxy, least plasticy, least peaky, least muffled, least hyper, decently extended in both directions, decently relaxed, most consistent across freq. spectrum, most believeable tone/harmonics, most texture, most spaciousness, most imaged, etc. (I'm sure I'm forgetting some more attributes  :lol: ) ... All of which we all know is highly biased by my specific ears, brain, preferences of sound, music, listening distance, and volume. All being evaluated rather hurriedly in likely the most crappy of environments imaginable, with only God knows what all in the driving chain of source, electronics, and wires, while my wife sat outside baking in the hot sun wanting to "LEAVE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE"  :oops: . (Oy! I felt her pain. Same one I get when we walk into a Michael's or Joanne Fabrics.   :banghead: ).

Yes, Sweetwater has kept me busy for sure! Thanks  :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2014, 09:39 am »
What's your budget?

BTW the Equator D5 ($400/pair, coaxial, over achiever but quintessential studio sound) and Quad 9AS ($1300/pair, DAC, cherry finish, front controls, remote, but very few reviews) are both active, but neither reach 50 Hz.  Quad has a history (and the most affordable of several British firms) of offering home use active designs).

A well regarded (active) studio monitor that will reach 35 Hz is the Event 20/20 ($900/pair, rather big). 

For professional reviews of studio monitors check out soundonsound.com

Speaker F3 needs to be matched to room size.  I'd look for speakers noted to perform well at lower volumes if that's how they'll primarily be used.  Perhaps another strategy would be to listen to small speakers at low volumes and switch back to headphones for those Friday afternoon rock outs.  Nice small/cheaper speakers include Audioengine A2+ ($250/pair, powered, DAC, sub output), NuForce S3-BT ($300/pair, powered, bluetooth, grill), PSB Alpha PS1 ($300/pair, powered, sub output, Paul McGowan reportedly uses them on his desktop), and Serene Audio ($500/pair, single driver - so active, leather/bamboo finish, DSP, , different cabinet styles available, sub output).

jk@home

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2014, 11:04 am »
Not powered but check out the KEF LS50s. Lovin mine.

rockadanny

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:23 pm »
Budget for powered/active is $900 - $1000.

Speaker F3 needs to be matched to room size

Is there a general kind of guide for F3 value vs. room size?

I am going to move to a larger room (11'x16') and will be able to set up along long wall, but again, desk will be pushed close to the wall. Still forced to be in a desktop-type setup though as I do not prefer speakers behind or to the side - must be in front, even for low level listening. I am weird that way  :roll:

JLM - Thanks for the suggestions!  :thumb:

jk@home - Have not heard those yet, but even used they sell for over my budget. Then I'd have to also get amps for them. And a sub, correct? Or are you satisfied without a sub? Their spec indicates they do not play much low freqs. at all, correct?

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm »
Have you considered Emotiva's line of powered monitors?

https://emotiva.com/products/emotiva-pro/powered-monitors-0

Within your budget and a good selection.  I have a pair of their sat's and very pleased with performance, build quality etc. 

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:57 pm »
No, have not heard any of their products at all. Thanks for the reco!  :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:43 pm »
Budget for powered/active is $900 - $1000.

Is there a general kind of guide for F3 value vs. room size?

I am going to move to a larger room (11'x16') and will be able to set up along long wall, but again, desk will be pushed close to the wall. Still forced to be in a desktop-type setup though as I do not prefer speakers behind or to the side - must be in front, even for low level listening. I am weird that way  :roll:

JLM - Thanks for the suggestions!  :thumb:

jk@home - Have not heard those yet, but even used they sell for over my budget. Then I'd have to also get amps for them. And a sub, correct? Or are you satisfied without a sub? Their spec indicates they do not play much low freqs. at all, correct?

For nearfield desk app, most folks don't use subs with them, some even think subs are detrimental to the sound. They go pretty low for the size of the enclosure, alot depends on placement. Kef supplies two different pairs of port plugs, if the speakers are close to the wall, to tune.

I have mine in a 11/6 x 14/6 room, but they are setup in a regular layout, 7 feet apart and to the chair. Short wall setup. I have subs just for the extra punch for some of my music (rock, etc.). But they are not necessary for other music. In fact I haven't even properly set up the subs yet, so for now they are off.

It's funny you mention wanting to be facing the speakers, my room is also a home office, with the desk on the back wall. The chair I use is a rolling office type, which allows me to rotated 180 degrees. So I am all over the place in regards to speaker orientation. Works great for me. For serious listening, I move a lightweight ottoman between the speakers and the chair, facing away from the desk.

As far as your budget, you can buy the KEFs from Amazon, use their Store Card and get the 12 month interest free finance deal. I had mine broken in before the first payment was due.

rockadanny

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:18 pm »
Frequency response: 79Hz–28kHz (47Hz-45kHz, -6dB)

79 Hz? Possibly down 6dB at 47 (perhaps down even more if KEF are not hyping the specs in any way, as many mfrs do).

And this is satisfying to you without a sub? Hmm ...  :scratch:
I just have not yet experienced listening in a smaller area and/or near a wall.

jk@home

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:27 pm »
Give them a listen if you can, I think you will be surprised. IMHO, they are great little rock speakers, minus the extra bass that gives that gut punch. I have both stereo sealed subs, and IBs in the ceiling for that. The KEFs are very clean, micro details and imaging are definitely there. If you do decide to add subs later, they would be great satellites.

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:45 pm »
certainly will if able. thanks for the posts! (now i need to wipe the drool off my keyboard ...  :drool: )

rockadanny

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2014, 09:54 pm »
I auditioned speakers at Guitar Center again last night, via my music this time (iPhone 3.5mm output; 256kbps iTunes):

1. Benjamin Britten/ECO/Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 in F major
2. John Coltrane - Afro Blue (Live at Birdland)
3. Karrin Allyson - You Don't Know What Love Is
4. Sarah Lazarus - It's Alright With Me
5. Terje Rypdal - Ambiguity
6. Jim Weider - No Exit Strategy
7. Miles Davis - I Thought About You

JBL LSR305 - music sounded as if it was coming out of a plastic box.
Tannoy Reveal 802 - clean, clear, even handed, slightly crisp/bleached/two-dimensional, seems like they would get fatiguing after a while, on sale reduced from $560 to $280 a piece (at GC and Sweetwater)!!!
Adams F7 - texture, grunt, delicate highs, great imaging, slightly recessed mids, no fatigue whatsoever.
KEFs - MIA.

If I were going to use these to mix, I'd have purchased the Tannoys. Since these are not for mixing but purely listening pleasure, I selected the Adams (30-day money back). I do not prefer recessed mids, but it was only slight to my ears. And since no speaker is perfect, I need to listen to these longer term before deciding whether or not they actually are slightly recessed, and if so, will it be an issue for me.

I am going to live with these on my desk with laptop as source via 3.5mm output before considering more gear (such as a DAC) and tweaks, if I feel it is even necessary.

After listening to these today I'd say the mids are not recessed. They are just fine. Could easily have been the setup at GC.
I am LOVING these little buggers!!  :singing:

rockadanny

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2014, 09:57 pm »
BTW, this little ART tweeter is da bomb!  :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2014, 09:24 am »
Good for you, the F7 should work well for your tastes/setup.

Unfortunately my 3 local GC's all have crappy setups (can only listen to their canned music, most of the speakers are far less than ideally located); none of the better monitors they show on their website (last time I asked about the Neuman KH120 they found a pair in one of their outlets 2,000 miles away); and the staff are pathetic (lazy, disinterested if you don't mix, don't want to help).

The corresponding KEF is the X300A (active 2-way stand-mount/desktop).  It has a DAC (not sure about tethering DAC/speakers together as fast as DAC technology is moving), but no option to use a subwoofer (without giving up use of the DAC you paid for - a mistake IMO).  But what do I know (Tone Audio loved it)?  While the F7 is a crossover ("prosumer") product the X300A is squarely in the consumer camp.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2014, 10:37 am »
JLM, what makes a speaker a crossover product vs. a pro product?

rockadanny

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:03 pm »
not sure about tethering DAC/speakers together
Agree. If I stuck them in the kitchen for background music while cooking I'd likely prefer the included DAC. But at my desk they do double duty: background, but also serious/semi-serious listening. As a matter of fact, last night I did not even fire up my main system. I did several hours of serious listening at my desk instead.

can only listen to their canned music, most of the speakers are far less than ideally located); none of the better monitors they show on their website
Bummer!  :evil:
The store near me is new(ish), huge, and had many monitors set up for quick access to listen via headphone jack source. Granted, poor environment, but sales staff very willing to satisfy my requests (swap locations, use my source, order ones they did not have to get into store so I could demo). I guess I was fortunate that way.  :)

BTW, these are remarkable speakers. I fell in love with the Adams sound at a show a few years ago. They had a pair of one of their big speakers ($50k?) set up, driven by some big VAC gear. My favorite room by far. Never thought I could afford a pair of their speakers. Glad they trickled the sound down a bit to my budget.

This is the FIRST tweeter I've met which I actually like better than what is on my mains (Dynaudio Esotar on my Eggleston Fontaines, original version). Extended, clear, resolving, delicate, yet never harsh or spitty. Remarkable. Probably the biggest reason I like the sound so much. That, and also compared to the other pro monitors I heard perhaps: paper/carbon woofs; decently inert (MDF vs. plastic); A/B active vs. D and/or just powered; front ported with decent size curved slot. Whatever, I love these guys.  :thumb: