X-Statik build question

flavo

X-Statik build question
« on: 18 May 2014, 03:19 pm »
Hi all,
  I'm working on building  a set of these. I'm taking pictures as I go and plan on doing a bit if a DIY for any other newbs out there interested in building a set.  I looked, but couldn't find a build thread on these. except for this one. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122619.0  If one does exist, please point it out.
My 1st question is on the wiring. Does anyone have any photos of how the wires are run from the x-over to the drivers? The x-over itself has inputs for the speaker wires.
A high,mid, and low through hole solder point. I'm assuming it's as simple as soldering the in +&- and then the double wires to the mid and woofer and single to the tweeter.
I'm hoping to make things look nice. But more to the point , I don't know what to do with the shrink wrap that came in the package or where/how the wires are supposed to exit the cabinet. And I want the back of the OB to look tidy.

Big thanks!

flavo

Re: X-Statik build question
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2014, 03:23 pm »
On a side note I found a pair of skiing ninja upgraded ones FS in chicago. He has the whole 5.1 system for a really good price
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/4451637943.html

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2014, 03:43 pm »
Mine were factory-made.  I took a few shots so you can see how they did it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2014, 08:10 pm »
Flavo, there hasn't been an X-Statik build thread for a while, so with your permission, I'll post a few things here.
I was going to go with a hammered metal look, but I didn't like the outcome, so I switched directions.  This is truck bed liner with a light coating of aerosol "stone" paint.  The box is maple plywood front and back, some mahogany veneer strips, with mdf center pieces.  No finish on the wood yet.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2014, 09:14 pm »
You can  use a slot cutting bit to cut slots around the circumference of the  OB driver cut out s to run the wires.  Then drill holes between  the different cut outs to pass the wires.
Here is a clse up of the back of the front baffle of my OB7's.showing the slots  cut for the    wires for the drivers above.  Finish is  Dupli Color Textured  paint  (Metallic Charcoal ) and  it is quite metallic.  When the sun hits  them, they almost appear silver, in   dim light, they almost look black.

-jay

flavo

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 12:08 am »
You can  use a slot cutting bit to cut slots around the circumference of the  OB driver cut out s to run the wires. 

That looks great, Thanks a lot for posting the pics and taking it a step further then the original design called for. Does the slot interfere with mounting holes and screws?

S Clark
please post away. When I do my build thread i'll make it from scratch. I cant tell if you're in the south west of the US or a different country. I love the landscape though. I love the high dessert.

flavo

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2014, 12:21 am »
Corndog, Thanks for posting the pics, it helps a lot. Is that just black paint in the inside of the baffle?
Here's one more version

For everyone posting there finishes.
The plan I came up with is a mixture of a few things I like. 
It will basically look like this. Flat black with the sides of the woofer cabinet covered in stacked birch ply

Except the ply will be added to the finished box dimensions for an added detail to look more like this.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2014, 12:37 am »
Those look really nice.  I especially like the flat with the stacked birch- classy.
Oh, and those outdoors shots are outside the house about 20 miles south of Abilene, TX.

corndog71

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2014, 02:33 am »
Yep, just black paint.

Captainhemo

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 04:25 am »
That looks great, Thanks a lot for posting the pics and taking it a step further then the original design called for. Does the slot interfere with mounting holes and screws?

My front baffle  is 1.5" thick so  no issue with screws /slot interference.  I actually go tthe slot cutting idea from Neil T   :thumb:
The OB7, OB5, and  X Statik all have very similar build characteristecs (OB5's being protsed).  There are  a few build threads of those on  AC i fyou want to have a look for ideas

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2014, 04:47 pm »
And Flavo, the heat shrink is used to seal any connection where you have wire making that connection. This would be at the drivers or binding post cups. It helps seal the connection so bare wire is not left exposed to the air.

NeilT

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2014, 06:43 pm »

Neil

corndog71

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2014, 12:24 am »
Damn, Neil!  It's not often I think of a speaker as pretty but yours certainly qualify.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2014, 01:01 am »
And he didn't even show you the front!

NeilT

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2014, 01:26 am »

Thank you and Mike made me do it.  :)

edgebc

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2014, 06:49 pm »
I have room for two more drivers. What drivers are they; it didn't say with the x-static kit.
I assume they're 16 ohm and are paralleled.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2014, 07:21 pm »
I have room for two more drivers. What drivers are they; it didn't say with the x-static kit.
I assume they're 16 ohm and are paralleled.

The X-Statik uses the M-165/16 woofers.