Black Blood of the Earth (Coffee Lovers take a look)

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
If any of you guys are coffee lovers, I would like to recommend some seriously wicked brew!

There is a company called Funranium Labs in Berkley, CA that sells cold vacuum extracted coffee that will absolutely change your respect for caffeine.  These brews have to be handled with a certain level of caution as they have 40X the caffeine of normal drip coffee, but they are really a surreal coffee experience.

I recieved a Stein of Science and a several Funranium Labs selections for Christmas this year; it has changed my perspective of coffee.

The owner is a Radiation Scientist at UC Berkley, and has a distinct love for coffee and beer.  Coincidentally, my two favorite beverages!

My favorite way to consume the extract is straight, but it makes a MEAN White Russian too!

Be warned that BBotE has a rather passionate cult following, and it's kind of a one man operation, so wait times can be long, and prices are rather steep; but the product is really great stuff.

Worth a look if you like coffee, potent levels of caffeine, or unique coffee/beer steins; check Funranium Labs out.

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth

Here are the varietals that are offered, all cold vacuum extracted to concentrate:

Malabar (Light Roast)
Panama (Light Roast)
Ipsento Panama (Light Roast)
Colombia (Medium Roast)
Congo (Medium Roast)
Ethiopia (Medium Roast)
Kenya (Medium Roast)
Kona (Medium Roast)
DEATH WISH (Dark Roast, Robusta - BEWARE)
Peru Salkanty (Dark Roast)
Sumatra (Dark Roast)

santacore

Re: Black Blood of the Earth (Coffee Lovers take a look)
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 05:30 am »
I've tried this stuff and it's actually quite good. Smooth and concentrated with flavor, without the acid-ness. A friend is buddies with the guy that makes this stuff.

I've actually been lusting after a mug since hearing about them. One day I will have to bite the bullet and get one.

Fun stuff!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2014, 07:50 am »
Interesting.  I will have to try it sometime. :thumb:

decal

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 03:49 pm »
Sounds like audio gobbledy gook to me !!!!!!! :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2014, 02:12 pm »
I ordered a liter and will report back.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2014, 02:36 pm »
Fairly expensive for cold coffee extract concentrate and at 750ml/$40 or 1000ml/$55 + shipping it would have to be absolutely amazing.  At 1 to 3 dilution, that's > $5 for a 10oz mug of coffee and for sipping straight it's the price of a very nice Cognac or Tequila.

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2014, 03:21 pm »
Your math is off.
1L = 33.8oz
1L = $81 shipped ( you can pick it up in may cities for -$15)
Serving is 0.5-1.0oz
At 0.5oz cost per serving is $1.20
Sure its not cheap and maybe I will never buy it again.  Though not nearly as much $$$ as you posted. 

mamba315

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2014, 03:41 pm »
What makes this different from  "regular" cold brew coffee?

We make cold brew sometimes at the restaurant I work in.  It is regarded as rocket fuel by even the most jaded coffee drinkers.  I prefer it straight, but no more than 1 oz!  Despite it's concentrated nature , it is much easier on the stomach than hot brew.

Very easy to make:  soak your regular coffee beans in water for 24 hours and then strain.  Helps to use a coarser grind so the filter doesn't clog too bad.

Of course, with daily consumption you will get used to the kick.  Best to have it as an occasional treat ;)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2014, 03:46 pm »
There is a brand of cold brew I have tried around here, Chameleon Coffees, which has only 270 mg caffeine per 4 oz. Regular coffee has about 50 mg, and this stuff should have 2000 mg!

So 1 oz of this stuff has 500 mg or 5x the caffeine of an 8 oz cup of regular coffee...  doesn't a caffeine overdose feel horrible? This stuff seems dangerous!

mamba, I think this stuff is about 6-10x more concentrated than typical cold brew coffee!

srb

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2014, 05:29 pm »
Your math is off. ..... At 0.5oz cost per serving is $1.20
Sure its not cheap and maybe I will never buy it again.  Though not nearly as much $$$ as you posted.

I've never sipped as little as 0.5 oz of anything, except perhaps a physician prescribed oral medicine!

To make an Americano hot coffee, their recipe recommends 1 part concentrate to three parts hot water, which for a 10 oz cup would be 2.5 oz concentrate + 7.5 oz hot water.  2.5 oz of concentrate costs $6.00 (I said a 10 oz cup of coffee would cost > $5.00) so the math is correct for that recipe.

Maybe 10 oz is large for an Americano (?), but that's the size I get served at coffee houses and that I make at home.

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
Sure the math is correct if you calculate it for more then the recommended serving. By that rational you could say the whole liter is a serving.

guf

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2014, 05:36 pm »
This is what all the kids are doing now a days to their weed. Super concentrates. Interesting concept for coffee.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2014, 06:43 pm »
Might be great for special occasions.

It would also make a really unique gift for someone.

mamba315

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2014, 09:09 pm »

mamba, I think this stuff is about 6-10x more concentrated than typical cold brew coffee!

A terrifying thought if true..!

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2014, 10:19 pm »
Didn't mean to cause such a stir....  :o

Anyone with interest check out this youtube video of Leo Laporte's Triangulation pod-cast. 

In depth discussion on Black Blood of the Earth (the story and science behind the brew).

http://youtu.be/2PAxZi7uess

Cool video, and really intelligent conversation on all things coffee.

Brad

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2014, 10:24 pm »
One of my co-workers insisted on an "American-sized" cup of Turkish coffee when we were over there.
He didn't come down from the caffeine for 10-12 hours.  Most productive I've ever seen him. :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2014, 10:51 am »
What makes this different from  "regular" cold brew coffee?

We make cold brew sometimes at the restaurant I work in.  It is regarded as rocket fuel by even the most jaded coffee drinkers.  I prefer it straight, but no more than 1 oz!  Despite it's concentrated nature , it is much easier on the stomach than hot brew.

Very easy to make:  soak your regular coffee beans in water for 24 hours and then strain.  Helps to use a coarser grind so the filter doesn't clog too bad.

Of course, with daily consumption you will get used to the kick.  Best to have it as an occasional treat ;)

I make cold brew coffee at home.  It's nice, as it makes 7 cups or so at a time.  I dilute it 1/3 cup to about 1 1/4 cup.  When we first tried this, I had read a 50-50 ratio was good, and I tried that, but it had way too much caffeine for me.  Since it's cold brewed, the resultant coffee doesn't have some of the burnt tastes and other tastes hot water coffee has.  I can consequently no longer drink Starbucks coffee, which tastes nasty to me. 

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 16 May 2014, 02:31 pm »
Had 30mL on a fresh brain this morning. It's good stuff. Will try another 30mL after lunch.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #18 on: 16 May 2014, 02:53 pm »
If I needed that kind of excitement, I find me a high maintenance red-head with an alcohol problem. :lol:

Doc

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2014, 01:05 am »
A new magnum of Kona!   :shh:
Yum...