Black Blood of the Earth (Coffee Lovers take a look)

santacore

Re: Black Blood of the Earth (Coffee Lovers take a look)
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2014, 01:20 am »
Nice SetterP!!!! How is that mug? I've been lusting after one of those for years.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2014, 01:29 am »
Thanks santacore, I like the Stein of Science very much!  The price was sort of outrageous, but luckily Santa Claus was good to me this year.   :green:

I was skeptical about it's actual usefulness, but it's pretty amazing when you can pour a cold beer forget about it for 4-5 hours and come back to pick up at stein full of icy cold beer still... I have kept drinks on ice cold for two days (with stopper applied) with very little ice melt age.  Beats the heck out of your grandpa's thermos.   :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2014, 02:20 pm »
That Stein of Science does sound great, as you mentioned wish it wasn't so costly I'd try one for sure.
Thanks for the feedback.

sts9fan

« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2014, 02:51 pm »
My issue is I don't want to drink out of a metal lipped mug. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2014, 03:39 pm »
What do you prefer?  My dad will ONLY drink out of a paper cup.  Long personal story of why but it's what he chooses.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2014, 08:03 pm »

The portion of the stein that your lip touches is actually glass (with a metallic coating behind the glass).

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2014, 10:02 pm »

My issue is the price.  For the price of those, you could buy a small fridge.  That, and that I like cold/cool coffee and I drink coffee quickly enough I don't need an insulated mug.  Sadly, too, I no longer drink beer (too many carbohydrates).  So, I'd not have anything to put in a $230-500+ mug. 

ratso

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2014, 04:13 pm »
hmmm lets see. regarding caffiene, wiki says: "Extreme overdose can result in death. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats. The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on individual sensitivity, but is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass or roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult." so 80 cups of coffee could kill you. and it says that one cup of this has the caffeine of 40 cups of drip coffee. yeah, this sounds like a really really frigging stupid idea to me.

JDUBS

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2014, 01:10 am »
hmmm lets see. regarding caffiene, wiki says: "Extreme overdose can result in death. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats. The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on individual sensitivity, but is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass or roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult." so 80 cups of coffee could kill you. and it says that one cup of this has the caffeine of 40 cups of drip coffee. yeah, this sounds like a really really frigging stupid idea to me.

Ok...thanks?!  :duh:  :scratch:

-Jim

ratso

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:14 pm »
you're welcome?!

not sure why the implied sarcasm. high doses of caffiene = death. ignorant public. why do this?

srb

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:30 pm »
While lethal doses of caffeine are the extreme, overdosing on caffeine (which this product could certainly accomplish) can have undesirable symptoms including breathing trouble, confusion, convulsions, diarrhea, dizziness, fever, hallucinations, increased thirst, increased urination, irregular heartbeat, rapid heartbeat, muscle twitching and vomiting.

All things in moderation - but everyone knows that!  ;)

Steve

sts9fan

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2014, 06:42 pm »
Since I first posted in this thread I have consumed ~600mL of Kona BBotE.  I can tell you one thing, there is no way it is anywhere close to 40x "regular" coffee.  Be it French press or drip.  I have been drinking it when in a pinch or when I don't want to make a French press in the morning for my drive in.  I will drink ~1.5oz or ~45mL first thing in the morning.  I will say it has about the equivalent effect as a 16oz beefy french press.  Based on my "brain test" I would say it has 10-15x caffeine compared to regular coffee.  That said if you take a shot after drink some regular stuff you can get buzzing pretty good.  I have had some in the afternoon with a baseline and it is good stuff.  No chance of 40x   

JDUBS

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2014, 06:47 pm »

All things in moderation - but everyone knows that!  ;)

Steve

One would think.

-Jim