Looking at this mountain bike/thoughts?

stlrman

Looking at this mountain bike/thoughts?
« on: 5 May 2014, 11:30 pm »
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/4420368795.html
Love the look of this bike. It's my size, I'm 5'3".
Mostly for paved trails. Maybe gravel trails. I was thinking of putting slicks or hybrid tires.
What's your thoughts. Price seems a bit high. Looks like it is from the year 2000, and went between $800-$1100.
Thanks,
Todd

Doublej

Re: Looking at this mountain bike/thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2014, 01:06 am »
I am no MTB expert but it looks like an outdated and perhaps short-lived frame design. I would not go near it. Plus for paved trails and gravel I am not sure there's much need for a full suspension bike.

I'd go for a new kick butt disc brake hydro foaming at the mouth 29er like this Airborne.

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/134-airborne-guardian-29er.aspx

or something from Motobecane or Trek or Specialized or one of the hundred other brands out there. REI seems to have a good selection this year. For example:

http://www.rei.com/product/865700/scott-aspect-950-29er-bike-2014

The good news is I am not sure there's much demand for a bike of that size so if you want it you might be able to get it cheap. Offer $150?

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2014, 01:45 am »
No CD player or speakers?  :)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2014, 02:41 am »
I also know not much about mountain bikes but my 21 year old son is somewhat of an expert. So I showed him the picture. At a glance he said hell no. That thing is a dinosaur. He said to spend your $400 on a used Kona hard tail.
I'm only a couple of inches taller than you so I think you can expect slim pickins in your size range. My son said that mountain bikes, like computers are a pretty young technology and are therefore very much in flux. For the most part, newer is better. Also like computers, they don't hold their value very well. I think it's true that a lot of women buy men's bikes in smaller sizes and you might have better luck getting a bike from a lady.

vortrex

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2014, 02:45 am »
That bike was not worth the full tune up it got.  Seriously out of date.  Look at that stem!

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2014, 04:18 pm »
Thanks gentleman! What's wrong with the stem?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2014, 04:43 pm »
If you are not going to go off road, then consider a hybrid with out a suspenson fork which is a total waste and adds a lot of weight (about 5 pounds) to the bike.  Get a hybrid and put on wider tires with some tread for riding over gravel.  The gearing will be better on a hybrid for speed.  I would also consider buying from a bike shop so that you get the proper fit for you body.   Riding will be more comfortable and efficient with the proper fit.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2014, 04:51 pm »
If you are not going to go off road, then consider a hybrid with out a suspenson fork which is a total waste and adds a lot of weight (about 5 pounds) to the bike.  Get a hybrid and put on wider tires with some tread for riding over gravel.  The gearing will be better on a hybrid for speed.  I would also consider buying from a bike shop so that you get the proper fit for you body.   Riding will be more comfortable and efficient with the proper fit.

I agree, or a more performance oriented option would be a "monstercross" bike, which is a rigid (no suspension) 29er mountain bike that can use a variety of different tires depending on where you are riding it. For what you are looking at I would spend around $1500 ish for a really nice bike or 1/2 to 1/3 that for a more basic bike. Of course the sky is the limit on spending but those price ranges are fairly realistic. It is usually not a great idea to spend a lot of money unless you know exactly what you want and have a lot of experience.

vortrex

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2014, 04:59 pm »
Thanks gentleman! What's wrong with the stem?

Old school.  You don't see that setup anymore.

Frame geometries and setup have changed a ton in 10-20 years.  26" bikes are becoming a thing of the past.  My friend was riding a 20 year old Specialized bike and always complained about it being a lot of work.  I kept telling him to buy a new 29" bike with modern geometry and things would be easier.  He didn't believe me because the 2013 bike was actually a little heavier than the 20 year old bike.  He couldn't believe the difference on the trails though and was so happy he dumped the antique.  For $700 he bought a minty Trek 29" bike.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2014, 05:17 pm »
The bearing/headset are small, being a part where clearances/wear appear early in MTB.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2014, 05:32 pm »
You do not want that bike you posted. Old tech, and the only reason for rear suspension is serious downhill work. You want 29" wheels for reasons stated by others.

Given your stated riding style, I would suggest you look at SE Bikes, and check out their Big Ripper.

If you want to go with a CrMo frame (more rigid) instead of Aluminum, You might be able to find an SS Mary (made by Haro) used.

For rubber, I would recommend Serfas Drifters.

Yes, both of the bikes mentioned above are single speed machines. Getting the gearing tweaked doesn't cost much.

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2014, 05:34 pm »
Check this one out.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/4449005766.html
Nice old steel mountain bike.
Put on a set of smoothies, or not, and start ridin'.
The price is right too I think.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2014, 06:05 pm »
Todd, you should take a look at the Raleigh Cadent -3 and Alysa-3 hybrid bikes.  I went with a friend to the bike shop and he bought the Cadent-3.  It is light weight, has a more aggressive geometry and has Shimano Alivio components which are smooth shifting.  It is very well made.  He paid $750.  You may need the women's version of the Cadent-3 which is the Alysa-3 due to your height.   The women's version looks the same as the men's but it comes in smaller frame sizes and stand over height.  They come with a carbon fork and they have a very smooth and comfortable ride.  I have looked at many hybrid bikes and these are some of the best for the price.  They have better components and better frame than hybrids costing $200 more.

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road-fitness-alysa-alysa-3

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-road-fitness-cadent-cadent-3

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2014, 07:58 pm »
I'm very not into FS (full suspension).  Favorite is rigid Fat Bike which I ride all year (Salsa Mukluk alloy, next Fattie is carbon).  I'm a not-youthful Clydesdale, not a racer (well, except downhill).  Rode intense gravel Sunday and can not believe how much fun are Fatties (tons better grip than my 9er HT, even with pavement oriented Fat Bike tires only 3.50).     

IMO FS is for downhill only, but those who favor all-mountain (not me) would disagree. 

Set your upper limit price and that will help us with suggestions. 
« Last Edit: 6 May 2014, 10:35 pm by James Romeyn »

santacore

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2014, 08:18 pm »
I don't want to high jack Stlrman's thread, but I posted in the general off-road thread with out response, so I will try here. If anyone has a suggestion for a good bike in the <$1500 range new or used I would appreciate it. General trail use. This is to replace my slightly dated Gary Fisher Sugar 19 inch which is 1-2" too big for me. Feel free to PM me with any suggestions or offers to sell. Thanks!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2014, 09:48 pm »
I don't want to high jack Stlrman's thread, but I posted in the general off-road thread with out response, so I will try here. If anyone has a suggestion for a good bike in the <$1500 range new or used I would appreciate it. General trail use. This is to replace my slightly dated Gary Fisher Sugar 19 inch which is 1-2" too big for me. Feel free to PM me with any suggestions or offers to sell. Thanks!

Trek Remedy, Giant Trance or Reign, Santa Cruz Blur or Tallboy.... really any 5" full sus bike would be a good choice or hardtail if your trails are mostly smooth.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2014, 10:44 pm »
Trek Remedy, Giant Trance or Reign, Santa Cruz Blur or Tallboy.... really any 5" full sus bike would be a good choice or hardtail if your trails are mostly smooth.

Used Fattie, Salsa Mukluk, which is rigid.  3.50-4.00 x 26 tires similar outer diameter as 9er.  Ride it all year, including snow/ice.  Ride one and you'll know why Fatties are the fastest growing bike genre.  (I owned 26, 29, HT, FS, and this rigid).  $1500 might be low but ride one and you'll want it.  Can't stress how much you should try it before getting any 26 or 29.

Yeah, they're heavy, but rigid w/no suspension hassles, and grips anything you encounter, almost no "edge trap" risk vs. any other bike (if you never crashed from an edge trap you need to ride more).       

Don't scrimp on the Surly, which is too heavy.  Specialized finally released a Fattie for 2014.  It's lighter, less rugged, and I heard issues with oxidation.     

santacore

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2014, 11:25 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! Dave, I looked up a few of the ones you mentioned on Craigslist and they seem to be in the 3K range, which is a bit out of budget. The Giant's seem to be a little more in line with my budget.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2014, 12:59 am »
If it's a hybrid you seek, I'd look at the cromoly Jamis Coda series.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/street.html

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2014, 03:43 am »
If it's a hybrid you seek, I'd look at the cromoly Jamis Coda series.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/street.html

This bike is similar to the Raleigh with the Raleigh having a little better components, mainly the shifters which are Alivio. But in the end it is a wash as the bikes are very similar.  If you want something that has better gearing and is faster, more like a road bike take a look at the Jamis fitness bike the Allegro Comp, it has more of a road crank with a double vs triple and 50T max vs 48T for the hybrid which will give you a little more speed but may not be as good for hilly area's.