Looking at this mountain bike/thoughts?

Doublej

Re: Looking at this mountain bike/thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2014, 10:26 am »
This bike is similar to the Raleigh with the Raleigh having a little better components, mainly the shifters which are Alivio. But in the end it is a wash as the bikes are very similar.  If you want something that has better gearing and is faster, more like a road bike take a look at the Jamis fitness bike the Allegro Comp, it has more of a road crank with a double vs triple and 50T max vs 48T for the hybrid which will give you a little more speed but may not be as good for hilly area's.

Cromo vs. aluminum. How dare you say the two are similar.  :D.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2014, 03:10 pm »
What do you bike enthusiasts think of Bikes Direct? Good way to go? If so, is there a fat bike you like for all-around road/trail riding?

vortrex

« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2014, 03:12 pm »
You don't want a fat bike for the road.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2014, 03:22 pm »
Cromo vs. aluminum. How dare you say the two are similar.  :D.

I knew dat!  The Cromo will be a little smoother feeling but other than that the 2 bikes are similar.  Either way, both are good deals.

If any one is looking for great deals on road bikes, take a look at Giant Nerd.  I bought a road bike from them  for my son and saved hundreds of dollars for a bike with Shimano Tiagra shifters and derailleurs with a carbon fork.  Take a look at the Tomaso Tiempo and Monza, they are a great deals for 22 and 21 pound bikes.

http://www.giantnerd.com/collections/road-bikes

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #24 on: 7 May 2014, 03:33 pm »
You don't want a fat bike for the road.

So what's best for a mix of trails and paved roads? I don't think I'll ever be a serious rider, but I live in a bike friendly community and have access to lots of trails.

vortrex

« Reply #25 on: 7 May 2014, 03:35 pm »
So what's best for a mix of trails and paved roads? I don't think I'll ever be a serious rider, but I live in a bike friendly community and have access to lots of trails.

What kind of trails are we talking here?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2014, 03:39 pm »
What kind of trails are we talking here?

Mostly flat. Designed more for strolling in the woods than testing the limits of your testosterone supply.  :lol:

vortrex

« Reply #27 on: 7 May 2014, 04:11 pm »
I would get what is called a dual sport.  All companies are making them now.

Example:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/dual_sport/ds_series/

This is more than suitable for any basic trail and will be way better on the roads than a normal mtn bike.  I'd look for one without a suspension fork and with disc brakes, but that's just me.

I'm assuming you like more of the upright riding position instead of something like a cyclocross bike.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2014, 05:03 pm »
I would get what is called a dual sport.  All companies are making them now.

Example:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/dual_sport/ds_series/

This is more than suitable for any basic trail and will be way better on the roads than a normal mtn bike.  I'd look for one without a suspension fork and with disc brakes, but that's just me.

I'm assuming you like more of the upright riding position instead of something like a cyclocross bike.

Thanks, Vortrex. Yes, an upright riding position is what I'm look for.

bprice2

« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2014, 05:55 pm »
What do you bike enthusiasts think of Bikes Direct? Good way to go? If so, is there a fat bike you like for all-around road/trail riding?
Could be.  But, if you're a noob and don't know basic maintenance and repair, just remember you have none of the maintenance benefits that you would receive if you bought from your LBS. It also makes it hard to test ride before you buy.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 8 May 2014, 04:13 am »
That Trek is just a Hybrid with disc brakes.  I would just buy a hybrid and put 32c tires on them with some tread for sand or gravel.  Most of the better hybrids come with 28c (narrower) tires.  The cheaper ones usually come with 32c's, which are fatter and slower due to more rolling resistance.  You will be much happier with a hybrid over a Mountain bike.  A mountain bike will be less comfortable and take more pedal effort.

stlrman

« Reply #31 on: 8 May 2014, 03:15 pm »
Thanks again for all of your input and advice.
I thought I would give a short update.
I rode the mentioned old Rockhopper comp and loved it!!
I may buy the bike as he did come down to $350 and I could offer $325 for it.
The bike is basically brand new, less than 100 miles on it. It's mint!
So basically I'm getting a $1,000 bike for $325. I could through some hybrid slicks on it or just ride as is.
I do own two bikes now. I own an 18 inch Hard Rock that us way old but the frame is fine. It needs two tires as they are shredded and warped , and I'm riding it like that. :-(. Only one gear is working out if the 21. But that's all I really need for the trails I'm on.
http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/141187/reviews.htm
   I bought this bike at garage sale a few weeks ago, thinking I would ride it for the season, and I could easily .
35 bucks, so I could nof pass it up.its real heavy to lift and because of the frame , may be difficult to get on the rack.  Yes the bike is heavy, but the gears work perfectly and the bike rides pretty nice. I'm riding easy trails , slowly with my wife on her Terra Trike, and sometimes with my seven year old daughter .
   So my thought was to put the wheels from the TRAX bike onto my Hard Rock , and continue riding with one gear .
Thoughts??  1. Buy the bike? 2. Ride the Trax? 3. Put the wheels on the Hard Rock and ride as a single speed?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #32 on: 8 May 2014, 03:31 pm »
My only comments are that a well tuned and fitted bike is much more enjoyable to ride and it may lead to you taking a big interest in riding regularly.  If you stick with the bike with one working gear, consider taking it to a bike shop and getting fixed.  If you are going to put some hybrid tires on, consider RibMo's   http://www.amazon.com/Panaracer-RiBMo-Tire-Folding-1-25-Inch/dp/B0016164G6 they also come in a 1.5" width.  Also consider this one-  http://www.bikebling.com/Serfas-Drifter-City-Tire-26x1-5-p/serfas08-drifter-tire1.5.htm
« Last Edit: 8 May 2014, 09:21 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

vortrex

« Reply #33 on: 8 May 2014, 03:34 pm »
So basically I'm getting a $1,000 bike for $325.

No offense, but you are getting maybe a $150 bike for $325.  If you are going to spend $325, you could up your budget a little and get a brand new modern bike.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #34 on: 8 May 2014, 09:19 pm »
Ditto!

saeyedoc

« Reply #35 on: 9 May 2014, 02:56 pm »
Hate to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a bike primarily for exercise around our neighborhood. Fairly smooth roads, no traffic, should be great for interval training as it's hilly but the hills are mostly short rollers, no long sustained uphill climbs. Local bike shop recommended a hybrid, in particular the Trek 3.2Fx.
I'm 53 and have no plans for off road or biking in traffic.
Good suggestion? Would like to keep it under $1000
« Last Edit: 9 May 2014, 07:20 pm by saeyedoc »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #36 on: 9 May 2014, 09:58 pm »
Hate to hijack this thread, but I'm looking for a bike primarily for exercise around our neighborhood. Fairly smooth roads, no traffic, should be great for interval training as it's hilly but the hills are mostly short rollers, no long sustained uphill climbs. Local bike shop recommended a hybrid, in particular the Trek 3.2Fx.

Take a look at the Raleigh Cadent-3 that I posted earlier in this thread.  I took my friend to the bike shop and he bought it after comparing it to the Trek which was in the same store.  It has a nice comfortable and aggressive geometry and is smooth riding.It has better components than the Trek Fx 7.3.  About the only thing that I would change on the Raliegh and just about all hybrids is to put on 25c road tires for more speed and less rolling resistance, something like the Continental Grand Prix 4000S.  The Jamis bikes look good too.  I would not spend more than $800 on a hybrid bike.

Doublej

« Reply #37 on: 9 May 2014, 11:09 pm »

Check out the Jamis Coda line. The cromo frame will be easy on your bones.
Last year I would have told you to check out the Giant Rapid models but it looks like they have been discontinued.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #38 on: 9 May 2014, 11:47 pm »
Check out the Jamis Coda line. The cromo frame will be easy on your bones.
Last year I would have told you to check out the Giant Rapid models but it looks like they have been discontinued.

Or get a nice carbon fiber seat post like this-

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_174911_-1___202452

and Carbon Handle bars-

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_514367_-1___202446

One of my bikes is a Hybrid ( I have a Road and Mountain bike too) and I placed both of these on the bike to lighten it up and make it smoother.   Both are quality products and make riding more comfortable with the Aluminum frame a carbon fork.  Of course a good seat and padded riding shorts makes all the difference in the world.

saeyedoc

« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2014, 05:13 pm »
Ended up getting the 7.3 FX today. A prime factor was convenience. I live <1.5 miles from the shop, so I was able to walk there to get the bike, great since I don't have any way to transport a bike right now and it's convenient to go there for adjustments and repairs if needed.