BCD-1: Anyone Replaced Theirs With Something They Like Better?

James Edward

I know it's heresy, but I figure there might be something out there that betters the venerable BCD-1. I've had mine for 4 years, and the upgrade bug is biting. For what it's worth, I'll list the rest of my system:

Bryston 4BSST2
Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers
Dehavilland UltraVerve 3 preamp

Also, for what it's worth, I only use CD as a source, no computer based system here...
Thanks.

drummermitchell

Never thought I'd give up my BCD-1,but I did after 5.5 yrs.
Went with the BDP-2 and haven't looked back which surprised me.
The bdp-2 is just as good if not better than the BCD-1 plus all the extras you get as far as convenience without having to look thru 500 cds for one group or song.
If the BDP didn't sound as good as the BCD-1,she'd be for sale.

Wig

James,

I'm using a Modwright Sony 5400 Tube player and it fantastic; previously owned Ayon CD2, EE and Berkeley Alpha Dac. My system consist of:

Vac 160i Tube Integrated amp
Acoustic Zen Crescendo's

Wig

Chicago

I currently use a BCD-1.  As I understand it our player is pretty much the technological pinnacle for playing rebook.  The problem is you just can't get any more data out of the 16 bit cd than the BCD-1 extracts.  I believe that is why Bryston went digital and no longer produces our player, they felt they could get more out of the 24/196 files.

There may be a better cd player out there but for the cost of that upgrade you can go digital and get better sound.  I am not aware of any cd player that costs $5,000 that will give you the sound a BDA/BDP combo will.  Folks here feel even cd's they rip and play back through the digital combo sound better.

Hope this helps.

Good Listening,
Mike

I run a 4Bsst, B-25 and B&W 803 diamond speakers. 
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 07:53 pm by Chicago »

spinner

That maybe true but for me there isn't much other than CD. The music I play is not in anything higher rez. Since the 1980s  cd has become far better than it first beginnings. We have learned so much more about digital music since then and the BCD1 has proven that to me  IMO :thumb:

bjski

I still have my BDC-1. I agree with drummermitchell get yourself a BDP-2. You can use the coaxial output of the BDC-1 to any DAC you desire and AES from the BDP-2. In my case I went from a BDA-1 to a BDA-2.
If you have the upgrade bug just try different DAC's.

95Dyna

Hi James Edwards,

What's your budget?  The BCD-1 is a great CD player but it's not the last word by any means.

Samurai7595

I know it's heresy, but I figure there might be something out there that betters the venerable BCD-1. I've had mine for 4 years, and the upgrade bug is biting. For what it's worth, I'll list the rest of my system:

Bryston 4BSST2
Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers
Dehavilland UltraVerve 3 preamp

Also, for what it's worth, I only use CD as a source, no computer based system here...
Thanks.

I love my Bryston BCD-1 but if you're looking for a new CD player, here's some suggestions:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/2014-recommended-components-disc-players-transports-media-players

mkaiser

I currently use a BCD-1.  As I understand it our player is pretty much the technological pinnacle for playing rebook.  The problem is you just can't get any more data out of the 16 bit cd than the BCD-1 extracts.  I believe that is why Bryston went digital and no longer produces our player, they felt they could get more out of the 24/196 files.

There may be a better cd player out there but for the cost of that upgrade you can go digital and get better sound.  I am not aware of any cd player that costs $5,000 that will give you the sound a BDA/BDP combo will.  Folks here feel even cd's they rip and play back through the digital combo sound better.

Hope this helps.

Good Listening,
Mike

I run a 4Bsst, B-20 and B&W 803 diamond speakers.

Actually, the cdp was stopped because Philips stopped producing the cd drive that Bryston was using for their bcd1.

James Edward

My budget would be @4k. The sad thing is I don't have a specific gripe with the BCD1, which would make the search easier. What I mean is, if I were looking for a more 'open' sound, or more bass, etc., it would make a recommendation much easier.
I value tonality, and a non- fatiguing sound over the audiophile virtues of soundstage width, depth, imaging, etc.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

Photon46

Re: BCD-1: Anyone Replaced Theirs With Something They Like Better?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2014, 09:54 pm »
Read the reviews of Luxman's disc spinners and if you think their sound signature would be a fit, I can recommend them from personal experience. There is an ease and grace about the way they make music that I find very appealing. Their bank vault construction and fit 'n finish is fabulous. Good used players show up in your price range. ( I also use an UltraVerve, great partner IMO with the Luxman.)

sweetspot

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2014, 12:57 am »
Have not heard anything better for the price! :D

runs10k

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2014, 03:00 am »
I love my BCD-1 so much that it will be my player forever! I don't have deep pockets and there is no need for me to search for something else. The sound is amazing and its BRYSTON. For example I can call toll free across CANADA and have spoken to someone at BRYSTON. It reminds me of my garage in New Westminster ... a small garage that is trustworthy and its  this TRUST that I find with BRYSTON. Their service in this day and age is amazing. Sure buy and try anything you like but in the end its fun. Being and audiophile is super.
Its all good!
P.S. I still run .. not every day  ... but I have been running for 30 years and I love it !

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2014, 02:21 pm »
I love my BCD-1 so much that it will be my player forever! I don't have deep pockets and there is no need for me to search for something else. The sound is amazing and its BRYSTON. For example I can call toll free across CANADA and have spoken to someone at BRYSTON. It reminds me of my garage in New Westminster ... a small garage that is trustworthy and its  this TRUST that I find with BRYSTON. Their service in this day and age is amazing. Sure buy and try anything you like but in the end its fun. Being and audiophile is super.
Its all good!
P.S. I still run .. not every day  ... but I have been running for 30 years and I love it !

Same here. I am not looking for a different player because after having a few very hi end units the BCD1 still thrills me with it's sonic abilities ( this is one reason I bought a second unit for backup) :thumb: :thumb:

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2014, 05:15 am »
Actually, the cdp was stopped because Philips stopped producing the cd drive that Bryston was using for their bcd1.

I would agree that Phillips stopping production probably led to an early demise of this fine player.  I also think if Bryston wanted to stay in the cd player business they would have found another source for the drive.  My recollection is that James Tanner has said they wanted to devote their efforts to digital sound and that is why they didn't look for another drive maker.

I still love my BCD and I haven't moved to digital but if I was looking to upgrade from the BCD-1 I would still explore that alternative.  IMO you would get more bang for your buck than a cdp upgrade.

James Edward

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2014, 10:56 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to try a DAC, and use the BCD1 as transport. I ordered a Benchmark DAC2- it should arrive in a few days. Their 30 day audition time made it an easy choice. If it's not for me, Audio Advisor and Music Direct have ones to try, also with a 30 day trial.

Samurai7595

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2014, 11:34 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to try a DAC, and use the BCD1 as transport. I ordered a Benchmark DAC2- it should arrive in a few days. Their 30 day audition time made it an easy choice. If it's not for me, Audio Advisor and Music Direct have ones to try, also with a 30 day trial.

I hope it meets your needs and it's what you were hoping for.

Personally, for $400-$500 more, I would have gone for the Bryston BDA-2 DAC and connected the BCD-1 to the BDA-2 via AES/EBU.

http://bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2013_04_Review_Absolute_Sound_BDA-2.pdf

mrhyfy

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2014, 12:36 pm »
The Benchmark has built in volume control..considering you don't need a preamp with it that widens the price margin considerably.  It's not a shabby unit by any means!

James Edward

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2014, 07:18 pm »
OK...
So far I've tried two DACs, and the BCD-1 sounds better to my ears. The two DACs seemed to add more detail, and widen the soundstage,but this did not translate to a more enjoyable listening experience. The BCD-1 was tonally richer, and sounded more organic, for lack of a better word.
This experience has shown me that perhaps something with more detail can be had, but there is a certain ease of presentation in the Bryston that is harder to replicate.
I have a newfound respect for the BCD-1.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2014, 09:13 pm »
  Yes, great to hear that ............keep on spinnin'  LOL :thumb: