BCD-1: Anyone Replaced Theirs With Something They Like Better?

James Edward

Re: BCD-1: Anyone Replaced Theirs With Something They Like Better?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2014, 09:21 pm »
OK
So now the question- has anyone added the BDA-2 to a BCD-1? What was the result?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2014, 10:56 pm »
I heartily agree with those who revere the BCD-1 player. By the time I was able to afford one, they had been discontinued.  :(

There may be an upcoming option for you, James Edward, but at a significant price: a Bryston BDA-2 DAC, BDP-2 digital player, and the forthcoming (we hope) BOT-1 optical disc transport. We haven't heard much about the project since last year, but James T may be able to give us an update. While the cost is substantial for the three boxes, this may be a solution that offers maximum flexibility and some degree of future-proofing, since you would have lots of flexibility for playing hi-res music files and shiny discs. Of course, the BCD-1 and BDA-2 should be an outstanding combo until the BOT-1 is available. Here's the thread on the BOT-1:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114922.0

Cheerio,

Rich

spinner

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:31 pm »
OK
So now the question- has anyone added the BDA-2 to a BCD-1? What was the result?
           Yes , this is what I am still trying to get feed back on. Some have said better resolution but too laid back compared to the bcd1 alone. I love the "in your face immediacy" effect of  my bcd1. :scratch:

mkaiser

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2014, 10:13 pm »
           Yes , this is what I am still trying to get feed back on. Some have said better resolution but too laid back compared to the bcd1 alone. I love the "in your face immediacy" effect of  my bcd1. :scratch:

Try the BDA1 with BCD1 for the upfront presentation as it uses the same chip. BDA2 uses different chip.

bjski

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2014, 09:01 pm »
OK
I added a BDA-2 to my system. It replaced a BDA-1. Yes, I have a BCD-1 along with a BDP-1. I was able to compare the BDA-1 to BDA-2. I think it's a matter of taste. See if you can demo a BDA-2.

PM me if you have any questions.

runs10k

« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2014, 06:30 am »
I use the BDA1 with my BCD-1 and I find it interesting... its just neat to compare 2 sort of identical things ... Kind of like a set of twins in that even twins are
not quite identical in every way.... :roll: :oops:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2014, 02:46 pm »
I use the BDA1 with my BCD-1 and I find it interesting... its just neat to compare 2 sort of identical things ... Kind of like a set of twins in that even twins are
not quite identical in every way.... :roll: :oops:
   Do you find the sound stage is better using the BDA-1 over the CD1 alone? :scratch:

Hicham

I usually alternate between Vinyl (LP12 / M2 Black / BP15)  and the BCD-1.

To my ears it's very natural to listen to the BCD-1 balanced analogue on it's own. Great player

However, it's also natural to my ears (too) to enjoy the BCD-1/BDA-1 (AES/EBU) combination when alternating with the MD 801 Internet Tuner / BNC / BDA-1

The Magic is definitely a good recording and the fun of experimenting.

Interestingly, I see we're all valueing this great player of BCD-1. 

spinner

I usually alternate between Vinyl (LP12 / M2 Black / BP15)  and the BCD-1.

To my ears it's very natural to listen to the BCD-1 balanced analogue on it's own. Great player

However, it's also natural to my ears (too) to enjoy the BCD-1/BDA-1 (AES/EBU) combination when alternating with the MD 801 Internet Tuner / BNC / BDA-1

The Magic is definitely a good recording and the fun of experimenting.

Interestingly, I see we're all valueing this great player of BCD-1.   Yes I am so glad I went with  BCD1 (even got a spare one). I too use the balanced circuit and find that sounds  smoother and more detailed .  :thumb:

BozemanEric

I just purchased used BCD-1 and it should be on my doorstep Wednesday. I have been running that BDA-1/BDP-1 combo in my home office.  While, I love the convenience of digital files I detested the inconvenience of not being able to play a new CD immediately. I have been looking at CD players for months and when the BCD-1 came up I jumped on it. It is an all Bryston system, except for speakers, so I figured it should work well.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
  Congats on that. I'm sure you will find  great synergy. Glad to hear you like to play records   lol :thumb: :weights:

James Edward

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2014, 05:01 pm »
OK...
After having tried 3 DAC'sI am sticking with the BCD-1.
My take: All 3 DAC's imparted more information, or detail. All 3 seemed to
throw a wider soundstage, but at the expense of a solid center image. I
perceived the extra detail in such a way that the midrange was less solid,
and the overall sound grainier.
While the BCD-1 NEVER induces listening fatigue, I found 2 of the 3 DAC's
did.
It's a shame Bryston has discontinued their CD player, and did not decide to
up their game, or at least follow up with a successor. Audio dinosaurs such as
myself have dwindling options available to them. I am aware of the CD
drive availability issue that prompted the cancellation...