My Bottlehead Stereomour Build

Captainhemo

Re: My Bottlehead Stereomour Build
« Reply #20 on: 16 Mar 2014, 09:06 pm »
Congrats, that was fast! Good work, have to try this one someday myself.  :thumb:

Ditto !! Nice  job   :thumb:

-jay

borism

« Reply #21 on: 16 Mar 2014, 09:54 pm »
Thanks Nick and Jay. Once I started the project it was hard to stop.
Boris

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2014, 11:42 pm »
Hi borism.
Nice job.
Will you later on compare the stock 2a3 with your JJ 2a3 ?
I would like to know what make are the stock tube Bottlehead supplied you with
and what's the difference in sounds between the two.
If I had the money, I would not hesitate one second and buy the Bottlehead Stereomour.
Thanks for sharing.

Guy 13

borism

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2014, 12:16 pm »
Thanks Guy13!

The kit came with 2A3 tubes labeled Sovtek and I presume that's the same/similar as Electroharmonix - Russian made. It will be difficult for me to make a direct comparison to JJ 2A3 tubes since I am burning in my amplifier with the JJ tubes and the Sovteks are sitting in the box. I would have to leave them in at least the same amount of time (~100 hrs) for it to be fair. Maybe I'll do that at some point.

Here is a link to some good 2A3 comparisons on Audiocircle:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116706.0

Boris

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2014, 01:28 pm »
Thanks Guy13!

The kit came with 2A3 tubes labeled Sovtek and I presume that's the same/similar as Electroharmonix - Russian made. It will be difficult for me to make a direct comparison to JJ 2A3 tubes since I am burning in my amplifier with the JJ tubes and the Sovteks are sitting in the box. I would have to leave them in at least the same amount of time (~100 hrs) for it to be fair. Maybe I'll do that at some point.

Here is a link to some good 2A3 comparisons on Audiocircle:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116706.0

Boris
Hi Boris.
Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I was looking for, it answer all my questions.
Thanks a lot.
If I ever win the jack pot at the lottery, the first thing I will do is order the Bottlehead Stereomour with a pair of JJ2a3-40.
About a week ago, my wife missed the jack pot of 300,000 USD by only one number. She did not sleep the entire night and she keep repeating over and over:
Miss by one number, miss by one number, miss by one number...

Guy 13
By the way, she did win 300 USD, unfortunately, I never saw a single dollar of it.

Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2014, 03:57 pm »
About a week ago, my wife missed the jack pot of 300,000 USD by only one number. She did not sleep the entire night and she keep repeating over and over:
Miss by one number, miss by one number, miss by one number...

WOW.  What monthly income is considered wealthy in Vietnam that allows for the wealthy Vietnam lifestyle?

By the way, she did win 300 USD, unfortunately, I never saw a single dollar of it.
Guy 13
Smart woman.   :P   She knows you would buy stereo equipment!!!

galyons

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2014, 05:40 pm »
Thanks Guy13!

The kit came with 2A3 tubes labeled Sovtek and I presume that's the same/similar as Electroharmonix - Russian made.

My comparison is based on my BH Paramour's, the monoblock precursor to the Stereomour. The Sovtek A23's are actually quite good and, at the low cost, a real value.  I did not notice much difference between the Sovtek and EH, although the EH's were purchased several years ago.  Next is Chinese 2A3, not bad, just not quite as good as the Sovtek.  Better than the Sovteks was Sophia 2A3 meshplate's, more refined sound, slightly better imaging. Then OS RCA 1953 2A3's, everything you would want in a "real" 2A3.  The JJ-2A3's are very nice tubes, but, to me, their sonic signature is much closer to 300B's than 2A3's.  This means a bit less refined, but more ballsy and dynamic. (Please read my bias into this...I mostly run, and listen to, 45's in my other pair of Paramours.  To me, the 45 is the epitome of DHT power tubes!)  Make sure you get the JJ's from Eurotubes.  Their quality control is superlative.

Cheers,
Geary

Guy 13

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2014, 11:43 pm »
Guy 13
Hi jtwrace.
If you live with your parents, you can survive on 150 USD a month.
Factory worker gets 150 USD/month.
Construction worker gets 200 to 300 USD/month.
Manager in a big hotel egts 500 to 800 USD/month.
Manager in charge for a foreign company can get up to 1,200 USD/month,
but that's about it.
A bowl of soup, a beer, a coffee are around 0,50 USD.
If you have a steady job with no criminal record you get get a loan to buy a motorcycle.
Is that enough?
If not, you know I am always ready to answer any questions to satisfy you and to increase your knowledge on Vietnamese stuff.

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »
My comparison is based on my BH Paramour's, the monoblock precursor to the Stereomour. The Sovtek A23's are actually quite good and, at the low cost, a real value.  I did not notice much difference between the Sovtek and EH, although the EH's were purchased several years ago.  Next is Chinese 2A3, not bad, just not quite as good as the Sovtek.  Better than the Sovteks was Sophia 2A3 meshplate's, more refined sound, slightly better imaging. Then OS RCA 1953 2A3's, everything you would want in a "real" 2A3.  The JJ-2A3's are very nice tubes, but, to me, their sonic signature is much closer to 300B's than 2A3's.  This means a bit less refined, but more ballsy and dynamic. (Please read my bias into this...I mostly run, and listen to, 45's in my other pair of Paramours.  To me, the 45 is the epitome of DHT power tubes!)  Make sure you get the JJ's from Eurotubes.  Their quality control is superlative.

Cheers,
Geary
Hi Geary.
Thanks for the info.
When my wife will win the jack pot, I will keep in mind
what you wrote and probably get the JJ2a3-40
but that's still a long way...
In the mean time, I will enjoy my Bottlehead Crack
that you put together for me.

Guy 13

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2014, 12:28 am »
Hi jtwrace.
If you live with your parents, you can survive on 150 USD a month.
Factory worker gets 150 USD/month.
Construction worker gets 200 to 300 USD/month.
Manager in a big hotel egts 500 to 800 USD/month.
Manager in charge for a foreign company can get up to 1,200 USD/month,
but that's about it.
A bowl of soup, a beer, a coffee are around 0,50 USD.
If you have a steady job with no criminal record you get get a loan to buy a motorcycle.
Is that enough?
If not, you know I am always ready to answer any questions to satisfy you and to increase your knowledge on Vietnamese stuff.

Guy 13
Amazing.  Good to know I can retire somwhere. 

borism

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2014, 01:43 am »
Let me just say that after only a little more than one day of listening, it seems clear this little amplifier that could, is seriously good! It is driving the Jazz Modules fine and the tone is just beautiful. Maybe Roger is right when he states people overestimate their need for power on average by a factor of 10.
Boris

Guy 13

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:19 am »
Amazing.  Good to know I can retire somwhere.
Hi jtwrace.
If you want to retire in Vietnam, take my almost 20 years of experience:
DO NOT RETIRE IN VIETNAM !
I repeat, do not retire in Vietnam, if I see you here,
I will find a way to make sure you go back home. Is that understood ?
Vietnam is no place to retire.
Pollution, traffic jam, thieves and heat...
In addition, you cannot really get any checks cashed here or if you can it's expensive.
Is that clear enough Mister?

Guy 13.
Did I say don't come to Vietnam to retire.
Well, maybe I did, but just to make sure, I will say it again.
DO NOT RETIRE IN VIETNAM !

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2014, 02:25 am »
Dont talk me about heat, I up to here with infernal summers.
In Vietnam only the strong survive.
Guy 13 is one of them.

Guy 13

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2014, 03:08 am »
Dont talk me about heat, I up to here with infernal summers.
In Vietnam only the strong survive.
Guy 13 is one of them.
Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
Yes, I might be surviving, but for how long ????

Guy 13

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2014, 03:19 am »
Hi FULLRANGEMAN.
Yes, I might be surviving, but for how long ????

Guy 13
For as long Jesus wills, here also not easy.
This summer we had a whole week over 40ºC.
Cheers