Triode Lab 2A3-S

happyrabbit

Triode Lab 2A3-S
« on: 13 May 2013, 09:56 pm »
Round #3....   Triode Lab 2A3  uses 2x6sn7,2x2A3, 1XGZ32/34.   Hammond PT & Choke,  Tomiko 20W OPT, Mundorf Main Cap and Zn Coupling, AC Heaters.  Output : 4 watts.      A bit of a rough start.  The Cryoset JJ GZ34 lasted 5 seconds, followed by a lovely flash leading to a  blown fuse. (see pic)   Seriously... you have to be kidding..   Push me in front of a bus...  I wasn't feeling the love.   Lucky me ,  I had couple fuses and 5z3P rectifiers left over from the Sophia train wreck. New Fuse and Rectifier installed.  I was ready to lose it @ this point. I was not thinking happy thoughts..    Unit powered up with no drama, and very little hum present.  The Rabbit is Happy  :green:  The recommended rectifier is a Mullard GZ32 per Frank @ Triode Lab but will operate with almost anything.   I have a Mullard GZ32 ordered.  Currently using  Sophia 6sn7 with EH 2A3.   I realize I am in the Honey Moon Stage.   Kinda like a new girl friend or Lady Friend for the older folks. :wink:   The 2A3 sound is sweet. I love it.  This amp easily drives my 92db 4ohm speakers.   My only regret is not owning a SET amp much sooner.

Dwight

« Last Edit: 14 May 2013, 01:00 am by happyrabbit »

SET Man

Re: Triode Lab 2A3-S
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 04:29 pm »
Hey!

Well, congratulation on your new SET amp... again. :lol:

Rough start with the rectifier tube, eh? That's not uncommon with rectifier tubes. But look like the fuse did it job. The amp looks good... simple and no non-sense. I'm surprised that 4wpc is enough for you... but of course its depend on how big is your room, how far you sit from speaker, how loud you listen and etc.

Anyway, is never too late to get a good SET amp. Well, good to see that you are a happy rabbit again. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2013, 11:32 pm »
Thanks Set Man.  Luv the Kitty   :thumb:    A year ago, I would have been 1st in line to state 4 watts is not enough...   Go Figure.  Less is more. 

I can't decide if the EML 2A3 Mesh are worth it ?  Any insight on this subject ?     I am still waiting for the Mullard GZ32 to arrive

Interior Pic.   Straight Forward PCB Design. 

Dwight

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 12:35 am »
Never listen a EML, but I think it worth the price indeed.
It use a real mesh plate, not a sheet of metal perforated or graphite plate as other brands.
http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/Warning-Chinese-Fake-mesh.htm

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2013, 01:17 am »
Thanks Set Man.  Luv the Kitty   :thumb:    A year ago, I would have been 1st in line to state 4 watts is not enough...   Go Figure.  Less is more. 

I can't decide if the EML 2A3 Mesh are worth it ?  Any insight on this subject ?     I am still waiting for the Mullard GZ32 to arrive

Interior Pic.   Straight Forward PCB Design. 

Dwight

Looks nice and simple!    :thumb:

happyrabbit

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2013, 03:23 am »
GZ32 installed.   

« Last Edit: 17 May 2013, 12:48 pm by happyrabbit »

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2013, 01:27 pm »

I have read a lot about the KR tubes and considered buying a pair. But the costs is quite high so I never did. What I read is that the JJ 2A3-40 is the next best option at a much lower price. I prefer the JJs to several other pairs I tried, and at less than $250/pair delivered it made a lot of sense to me vs. the KR tubes (they were in the $700 range if I remember). I got my JJs from Eurotubes (located in Michigan I believe) for $220 + shipping.

Old Stock Sylvanias, Sovteks, Shuguang 2A3Cs, JJ 2A3-40s

happyrabbit

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:20 am »
Go big or go Home  THE EML 5U4G.   I have a pair JJ 2A3-40's on order.  I should have them very soon.  8)

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:36 am »
Nice looking amp! Ya, those JJ GZ34s are utter garbage. Hope that fuze was a generic rather than some uber expensive high end fuse.

happyrabbit

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2013, 12:16 am »
PEZ - you are correct the JJ GZ34 was a loss cause.   I was not impressed.  I should have stopped @ the blown fuse and not requested an replacement. It wasn't worth the postage.

JJ 2A3-40 installed.    I will report back after 100 hours.   

Dwight

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2013, 12:24 am »
Very interested in your findings!  I've got a three day old pair of j 2s3-40s burning in as input tubes to my 845s.

happyrabbit

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:17 am »
 SET AMPS...endless array of accessories   :green:  Holding off on the tube comparison until the new caps break in...but the JJ 2A3-40's are an improvement over the EH.

« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2013, 11:21 pm by happyrabbit »

happyrabbit

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:54 pm »
    I like the JJ 2a3-40's.  Nice improvement over the EH 2a3's.  I find them more transparent and lively.  Definitely worth the extra $100 over the EH.   The EML 5u4g is great.   I prefer it over the Mullard GZ32 & NOS 5u4g & JJ GZ34. The EML has a blacker background  and more holographic stage but $240 is a bit steep.   If your going to spend a couple bills on a PC then you should own the EML.     No opinion on the Jupiter Caps.  I think they are an improvement but I need to reinstall the Mundorf to confirm.     I reinstalled my Class A amp again for a little Solid State Refresher....   Hands down the 2A3 tube.   My only regret is waiting soo many years.. I never realized that 4 watts could be so capable.   My SS Class A amp is for sale.  I think it makes a nice amp stand   :wink:

Dwight

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm by happyrabbit »

happyrabbit

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2013, 11:17 pm »
The JJ 2a3-40's feel a bit cheap after handling these bad boys  8)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2013, 01:49 am »
Dwight,
How do the sonics differ between the EML mesh plate & JJ's? The reason I ask is that I currently have a pair of JJ 2A3-40 substituting for my beloved 1930's spring top engraved base, black plate Sylvania's... the JJ's are pretty good...

A few years ago, I tried the Sophia mesh-plate 2A3 & disliked them a lot... mushy, romantic overly warm (colored big time)...

BTW, you should really try the original Mullard GZ34's... I have some Holland bad boys in there & they're great... the Blackburn (Gt. Britain) also sound very good...

Thanks,
Pete

happyrabbit

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2013, 02:47 pm »
Triode Pete,

the EML 2a3 were just installed yesterday.   I will give them a couple days to 'break-in'.   The Sophia 'mesh plate' is nice marketing.  I like the JJ 2A3-40.   I am curious to see if the EML Mesh Plate is the real deal...   Frank @ Triode Lab recommends the Mullard GZ32... the EML 5u4g is my 1st choice.

Dwight 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2013, 06:52 pm »
Dwight,

When you get a chance, try some RCA 2A3 and see how they compare against others.

I like them a lot when I plugged them in our 845 monos.
Next step for me would be to compare the RCAs with KR Audios. :)

happyrabbit

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:32 pm »
Update - I have returned the EML 2A3 Mesh Plate (minus 20%).   I felt the EML 2A3 MESH  sound stage had an unrealistic feel and lacked a degree of harmonic richness.   I am surprised by this outcome. I preferred the JJ 2A3-40 feed by the EML 5U4G.  YMMV

Dwight

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:37 pm »
Hey Dwight,
I hosted a NY Audio Rave yesterday & we placed different amplification (Merrill Audio Veritas monoblocks & Arion hybrid monoblocks with Duelund caps) on my 104 dB horn system...

We went back to my custom 2A3 SET monoblocks, initially with the JJ 2A3-40 tubes and then with my vintage engraved base black plate Sylvania 2A3 with spring tops. It was unanimous that everyone preferred the vintage Sylvania's over the JJ's... better tonality with an organic naturalness.

Just my $0.02... also Hugh's comments about RCA 2A3's (and most vintage 2A3's including KenRads) is worth pursuing...

Cheers,
Pete

happyrabbit

« Reply #19 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:01 pm »
Hi Pete,

Thank you for the suggestion.   I will start my search today  :green:   

I installed a pair of MELZ NOS 1578 today.   I will be comparing them to the Sophia Electric 6sn7 (aka 'no warranty electric').   

Dwight