Bp26 is 9 years old?

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Bp26 is 9 years old?
« on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:41 am »
I have been looking for my next preamp upgrade to replace the aging SP1.7 that I use in bypass mode. I have been reading BP26 reviews when I came across one from 2005. I'd hate to buy a BP 26, and then a month later the next model is released. I wonder if anyone has heard if there is a newer model coming any time soon...Pete

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bp26 is 9 years old?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:30 am »
I have been looking for my next preamp upgrade to replace the aging SP1.7 that I use in bypass mode. I have been reading BP26 reviews when I came across one from 2005. I'd hate to buy a BP 26, and then a month later the next model is released. I wonder if anyone has heard if there is a newer model coming any time soon...Pete

Hi Pete

No plans currently to replace the BP26 - its too good :thumb:

There has been a lot of interest in Active Speakers for us so we have discussed maybe a new preamp that would include an internal Active Crossover section for our Model T speakers but that is still in discussion stage.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2014, 02:49 pm »
  I go with that old saying."If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Change for the sake of change is just cheap marketing.

PRELUDE

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:01 pm »
  I go with that old saying."If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Change for the sake of change is just cheap marketing.
+1 :thumb:
But our Audiophile brothers get tired and want something new for no reason.
One thing should work perfect to leave the electronic alone and keep changing the face plate to keep the customers happy, but then you cannot call it Bryston  any more it would be Apple. :lol: 

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:18 pm »
 Right on  Prelude :lol:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:41 pm »
Great! Thanks for all the replies. The BP26 is still on the top of my list.

RonCH

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2014, 08:26 pm »
I'm really dissapointed and surprised by this.  This forum is littered with questions about when and if Bryston are going to replace their flagship preamp with one that has HT bypass.

Nevertheless, I guess it's good to know that the BP26 will remain Bryston's flagship amplifier for some time.  Maybe a Pass Labs XP 20 instead?

:cry:

BrysTony

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:39 pm »
I'm really dissapointed and surprised by this.  This forum is littered with questions about when and if Bryston are going to replace their flagship preamp with one that has HT bypass.

Nevertheless, I guess it's good to know that the BP26 will remain Bryston's flagship amplifier for some time.  Maybe a Pass Labs XP 20 instead?

:cry:

The BP-26 as a Bryston Flagship preamp is definitely showing its age in 2014 by having no pass-thru, insufficient balanced inputs/outputs, no status display and it lacks a full featured remote control to include source selection.  With the exception of the preamp my whole system is Bryston and I love it but after realizing that there was nothing in the cards for a BP26 update, I sold my BP26 three years ago and went with an Audio Research LS27.  Surely someday there will be a replacement...

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:58 pm »
Hi Folks,

Yes if we can beat the analog performance of the BP 26 we will certainly move in that direction but other than adding specific features so far that has not happened based on our research.

I agree some folks want pass through, front panel display  etc. but that is not a reason to change the BP26.  I think a better idea would be a new preamp that would not replace the BP26 but would add options and of course would cost more for those additional features if customers needed them in their system.

James

redbook

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:24 am »
 So there is a group that would rather have features than  top sonic  quality  I am just a 2 channel music fan. HT has not been my priority so a very good preamp that delivers that is what the 26 does. If it's feature then.  go with the Sony / Marantz/Pioneer approach    :dance:

rmurray

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:36 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes if we can beat the analog performance of the BP 26 we will certainly move in that direction but other than adding specific features so far that has not happened based on our research.

I agree some folks want pass through, front panel display  etc. but that is not a reason to change the BP26.  I think a better idea would be a new preamp that would not replace the BP26 but would add options and of course would cost more for those additional features if customers needed them in their system.

Yes james. If folks want features then give it to them. To me the bp25/26 is a no nonsense professional preamp . They give me the basic features of a studio piece with no holds barred. Keep up the great work :thumb: :thumb: 
James

budcook

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:38 am »
The BP-17 has pass through and full remote control.  I does lack balanced inputs and that's the reason I replaced it with the BP-26.  Now I'm going to try something entirely new, I've bought a Naim SuperNait 2 and plan to compare how it sounds in my system to my BP-26/2.5BSST2.  I've wanted to try Naim since I got my Roger's LS3/5a's back in the 70's.  Now I have Harbeth 30.1's and 8 Bryston pieces.  The SuperNait is 3 months old and I have relatively little invested in it. 

If the SN2 amazes me, I'll keep it and sell the 26/2.5B.  If not, my itch will have been satisfied and I can move on.

One thing that has already influenced me.  Naim puts the power switch on the back to deter people from turning them off.  I'm now leaving my 2.5B on all the time and I don't have to wait for an hour or so for things to start to sound good.

Bud

redbook

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:50 am »
The BP-17 has pass through and full remote control.  I does lack balanced inputs and that's the reason I replaced it with the BP-26.  Now I'm going to try something entirely new, I've bought a Naim SuperNait 2 and plan to compare how it sounds in my system to my BP-26/2.5BSST2.  I've wanted to try Naim since I got my Roger's LS3/5a's back in the 70's.  Now I have Harbeth 30.1's and 8 Bryston pieces.  The SuperNait is 3 months old and I have relatively little invested in it. 

If the SN2 amazes me, I'll keep it and sell the 26/2.5B.  If not, my itch will have been satisfied and I can move on.

One thing that has already influenced me.  Naim puts the power switch on the back to deter people from turning them off.  I'm now leaving my 2.5B on all the time and I don't have to wait for an hour or so for things to start to sound good.

Bud
     Good point  about that power switch :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:07 am »

Bud

Hi Bud,

With all the new power consumption requirements being mandated today all over the world (CCC, CSA, CE etc.) we can not leave our products on at all when not in use.  The requirements last year was you can draw no more than 1 watt of power in standby and as of this year it is 1/2 watt.  So leaving electronics powered up at all times is not an option unless you meet the consumption requirements which is impossible as far as I know if you want to power any internal circuits other than standby circuits.

james

budcook

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:28 am »
Hi Bud,

With all the new power consumption requirements being mandated today all over the world (CCC, CSA, CE etc.) we can not leave our products on at all when not in use.  The requirements last year was you can draw no more than 1 watt of power in standby and as of this year it is 1/2 watt.  So leaving electronics powered up at all times is not an option unless you meet the consumption requirements which is impossible as far as I know if you want to power any internal circuits other than standby circuits.

james

I've always shut things down when I wasn't using them.  Maybe that's why my original 4B was going strong after owning it for 36 years.  However, it's clear that the 2.5B sounds much better after being powered on for a while.  Actually, it gets better as time goes on.

I like the way it works compared to my 4BSST2 in that if I want to turn it on with a 12V signal, I can do it with the power switch off.  That permits me using both the power switch or the BP-26 to turn on the amp.  With the 4B, you have to depress the power switch to use the 12V signal so it's an either or situation with that amp.

Naim recommends leaving most of their gear powered on 24/7 so I'm going to do it with the 2.5B using the power switch.  I can still turn it on from the 26 if I want to.

I expect the 2.5B is drawing a lot more than 1 watt or less when it's powered on unless it reverts to a low powered standby mode with no signal is present.  That wouldn't seem logical to me.

Bud

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:38 am »
I've always shut things down when I wasn't using them.  Maybe that's why my original 4B was going strong after owning it for 36 years.  However, it's clear that the 2.5B sounds much better after being powered on for a while.  Actually, it gets better as time goes on.

I like the way it works compared to my 4BSST2 in that if I want to turn it on with a 12V signal, I can do it with the power switch off.  That permits me using both the power switch or the BP-26 to turn on the amp.  With the 4B, you have to depress the power switch to use the 12V signal so it's an either or situation with that amp.

Naim recommends leaving most of their gear powered on 24/7 so I'm going to do it with the 2.5B using the power switch.  I can still turn it on from the 26 if I want to.

I expect the 2.5B is drawing a lot more than 1 watt or less when it's powered on unless it reverts to a low powered standby mode with no signal is present.  That wouldn't seem logical to me.

Bud

Hi Bud

Thats the issue for us - leaving gear on when not in use can no longer be recommended as power consumption is very high and given limited resources we do not feel it is something we should be advocating to our customers.

james

RonCH

« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:06 am »
So there is a group that would rather have features than  top sonic  quality  I am just a 2 channel music fan. HT has not been my priority so a very good preamp that delivers that is what the 26 does. If it's feature then.  go with the Sony / Marantz/Pioneer approach    :dance:

For me at least, I want both.  Effectively I want BP26 performance with HT bypass.  Bryston already do this with the SP3, but I only need a 2 channel amp. 

I've not heard anything from the Japanese manufactures that you suggest that I personally like the sound of.  Have I missed someting?  From Japan I like the Esoteric Preamps.   But they are pretty expensive.

I personally think that the market is full of good sounding preamps with HT bypass and fullly balanced input and output connections from the likes of Pass Labs, Audio Research, Krell, Mark Levinson and Moon.  I presently have a BP16, but it annoys me that I can't get rid of an interference noise coming through my leads.  So I'm hoping Bryston will produce something in this product category.

budcook

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:37 pm »
For me at least, I want both.  Effectively I want BP26 performance with HT bypass.  Bryston already do this with the SP3, but I only need a 2 channel amp. 

I've not heard anything from the Japanese manufactures that you suggest that I personally like the sound of.  Have I missed someting?  From Japan I like the Esoteric Preamps.   But they are pretty expensive.

I personally think that the market is full of good sounding preamps with HT bypass and fullly balanced input and output connections from the likes of Pass Labs, Audio Research, Krell, Mark Levinson and Moon.  I presently have a BP16, but it annoys me that I can't get rid of an interference noise coming through my leads.  So I'm hoping Bryston will produce something in this product category.

Have you considered different interconnects?

Bud

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #18 on: 28 Feb 2014, 08:06 pm »
...still enjoying my 26 since 2006 :thumb:.

al.

spinner

« Reply #19 on: 28 Feb 2014, 08:51 pm »
   Likewise . I have not felt a desire to change from  my bp 25. Perhaps the 26power supply would yield a better performance but really the preamp is not a worry (just the way it is) :thumb: