Of all the greatest guitarists, Chet is the one I could listen to for hours.

charmerci

Smooth yet very musical, every note is perfect, clear and very precise, when you watch - there is no wasted movements. The pyrotechnics are minimal but every once in a while you'll see or hear an amazing flourish that's lasts just a few seconds.

Sure, not all the music is that great and sometimes the accompaniment is kind of schmaltzy (given the times) but there are so many musical gems.

Spent all night listening to youtube videos  :cry:  - gotta find more albums of Chet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHp7l4Z_kBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuN8_al4Omg
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2014, 12:07 am by charmerci »

Guy 13

Smooth yet very musical, every note is perfect, clear and very precise, when you watch - there is no wasted movements. The pyrotechnics are minimal but every once in a while you'll see or hear an amazing flourish that's lasts just a few seconds.

Sure, not all the music is that great and sometimes the accompaniment is kind of schmaltzy (given the times) but there are so many musical gems.

Spent all night listening to youtube videos  :cry:  - gotta find more albums of Chet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHp7l4Z_kBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuN8_al4Omg

Hi charmerci and all Audio Circle members.
I must say: Merci (Thank you in French) for the link you provided.
I went on You tube and listen to that smood and easy going guitar music.
Exactly the kind of guitar tone/sound I love.
Smood and relaxing, none fatiguing.
I will see if Amazon has it and maybe order one CD or LP.
Merci again charmerci.

Guy 13
By the way,
I've been looking for some time for that type of guitar sound.
Now I found it, with your help.
Just to make sure, is the names: Chet Atkins & Les Paul ?

Photon46

Chet Atkins is appreciated by musicians and guitarists, but I think the average music lover underestimates his talents and influence. His was a very tasty guitarist indeed. He was a very influential tastemaker and producer in Nashville and he can be accused of advancing some of Nashville's schmaltzier tendencies, but I wouldn't advocate dwelling on that too much. His album "Neck & Neck" with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits is a fun listen that has held up well as time has passed IMO. Definitely holds up to comparison with "Chester & Lester."

www.allmusic.com/album/neck-and-neck-mw0000316485

Guy 13

Chet Atkins is appreciated by musicians and guitarists, but I think the average music lover underestimates his talents and influence. His was a very tasty guitarist indeed. He was a very influential tastemaker and producer in Nashville and he can be accused of advancing some of Nashville's schmaltzier tendencies, but I wouldn't advocate dwelling on that too much. His album with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits is a fun listen that has held up well as time has passed IMO. Definitely holds up to comparison with "Chester & Lester."
Hi Photon46 and all Audio Circle members.
Look like you are very knowledgeable on Chet Atkins,
therefore, which album would you recommend,
because of the quality of the recording
and the originality of the music.
I went on Amazon,
but they have so much choice that it is more confusing than helping.

Guy 13
One more thing:
What would you recommend?
LP or CD.

GT Audio Works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk
Chet & Mark Knopffler one of my favorite parings.
Mark Knopfler is one of the few well known later generation musicians that has the chops to keep up with Chet

Photon46

Guy, I'm far from an expert on Chet, but here are some links to AllMusic reviews of albums I'm familiar with and enjoy. The albums listed are heavy on the compilation/"best of" sort of recordings, but they are good places to start to get a handle on the range of Chet's music. Particularly the last album on the list.

www.allmusic.com/album/chester-lester-mw0000608766
www.allmusic.com/album/guitar-monsters-mw0001880758
www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-chet-atkins-rca-1980-mw0000862088
www.allmusic.com/album/the-essential-chet-atkins-rca-mw0000648220
www.allmusic.com/album/rca-country-legends-mw0000015861
www.allmusic.com/album/the-essential-chet-atkins-legacy-mw0000746508

Todd Willhoit

Chet is great.  Tommy Emmanuel is one of his CGPs.  Here is a nice duet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI-sMNpQYHQ

Ericus Rex

I had the great pleasure of performing a concert with Chet Atkins back in the mid 90's down in Savannah, GA.  I had a blast and he still played marvelously then.  I remember after the dress rehearsal him posing in front of a car with a fan.  The car's license plate read "CHETFAN".  Seems like a swell guy.

mcgsxr

Enjoy the work of his that I have heard, thanks for the reminder.

I love his duet with Mark Knofler - "There'll be some changes made".

mark@marktwain

Hey guys, give this one a listen, Neck & Neck Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler two of my favorites.
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1468886

You must have posted that at the same time I did.

Mark

ctviggen

Guy, I'm far from an expert on Chet, but here are some links to AllMusic reviews of albums I'm familiar with and enjoy. The albums listed are heavy on the compilation/"best of" sort of recordings, but they are good places to start to get a handle on the range of Chet's music. Particularly the last album on the list.

www.allmusic.com/album/chester-lester-mw0000608766
www.allmusic.com/album/guitar-monsters-mw0001880758
www.allmusic.com/album/the-best-of-chet-atkins-rca-1980-mw0000862088
www.allmusic.com/album/the-essential-chet-atkins-rca-mw0000648220
www.allmusic.com/album/rca-country-legends-mw0000015861
www.allmusic.com/album/the-essential-chet-atkins-legacy-mw0000746508

Thanks.  He's an artist with too much material.  At least this narrows it down somewhat.  I like that he seems to play lead and rhythm at the same time (so does Richard Thompson, in certain songs at least). 

I have the Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler CD, Neck and Neck, and to be honest I thought it would be better than it is.  I would rate Neck and Neck as OK but nothing stellar. 

HsvHeelFan

I'm sorry, but Chet Atkins reminds me of a country version of Wes Montgomery.

Between the two, I'd much rather hear Wes.  But, I'm not a big country music fan. Chet does play well, he's just not in the top echelon of guitarists for me.

HsvHeelFan

Photon46

I'm sorry, but Chet Atkins reminds me of a country version of Wes Montgomery.

Between the two, I'd much rather hear Wes.  But, I'm not a big country music fan. Chet does play well, he's just not in the top echelon of guitarists for me.

HsvHeelFan

Until I took up guitar playing again in my forties, I didn't care for him too much either. I kept reading about what a stellar player he was in all the guitar magazines and that prompted me to investigate further. When I got some of his sheet music/tablature and began to try and play some of his licks and songs, THEN it began to dawn on me how technically well schooled he was. He doesn't knock you over the head with his virtuosity, but he does have it abundance. There are a lot of players like Chet that I appreciate and can learn from who I don't love to the point that I'd put them in my "desert island" music rotation. For me, a lot of the country-esque virtuosos like Chet, Albert Lee, Junior Brown, Pete Anderson, Hank Garland, Jerry Reed, & James Burton fall into that camp. Not a bad analogy for Chet, "country version of Wes Montgomery." Wes was another one I admire but don't love.

pehare

I listen to Chet & guitar based music a lot....if you like Chet & Mark Knopfler together you may enjoy one of my favs "Me & Jerry", Chet & Jerry Reed. 

Lately I've been on a Grant Green jag, especially his early work....Matador, Sunday Mornin', Quartets w/Sonny Clark compilation among others.

cheers!

charmerci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk
Chet & Mark Knopffler one of my favorite parings.
Mark Knopfler is one of the few well known later generation musicians that has the chops to keep up with Chet

Yeah, that's one of the videos I listened to last night. (Notice my comment just below the video.) If you listen carefully, at the beginning of Chet's solo, he does two quick flourishes. When Mark starts up again (around 2:05), you can hear he tries to do something similar but does fewer notes. Then you can see a bit of frustration in his face that he can't do it.

There really is so much out there - it's hard to know where to begin. (I do have in storage a 2-for-3 CD of his - but it's been a long time.) I much prefer to hear him with a light drum and bass support but again, it'll take some research.

You're welcome, Guy!  :thumb:

dB Cooper

charmerci- if you want to hear some great Chet, the two albums with Les Paul  are an absolute must have. "Chester and Lester" and "Guitar Monsters" were later mostly combined to make the CD release "Masters of the Guitar Together". Chet (whose brother had played in Les' band) actually coaxed Les out of retirement. Fun fact: Chet's first guitar was one that had been given to his brother by Les and handed down to Chet.

Seconds on "Over the Rainbow... the version on "Guitar Monsters" to this day remains my all time favorite version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1pxPx0sFY

charmerci

charmerci- if you want to hear some great Chet, the two albums with Les Paul  are an absolute must have. "Chester and Lester" and "Guitar Monsters" were later mostly combined to make the CD release "Masters of the Guitar Together". Chet (whose brother had played in Les' band) actually coaxed Les out of retirement. Fun fact: Chet's first guitar was one that had been given to his brother by Les and handed down to Chet.

Seconds on "Over the Rainbow... the version on "Guitar Monsters" to this day remains my all time favorite version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU1pxPx0sFY

Thanks for the recommendation. (The second link in my first post was a nice quality version of Guitar Monsters. I'm Your Greatest Fan is absolutely hilarious!  :lol: )

I just bought 8 Classic Albums - Chet Atkins. So I'll wait awhile for now.

Guy 13

Hi all Audio Circle members.
The more I listen to the video and audio links of Chet Atkins music,
the more I like it.
I like his style, he puts more/extra strokes on the strings than the partitions shows.
Smooooooth music, can listen for hours.
I've been looking for that type of guitar playing for many months, even years.
I only had the Ventures to listen to.
But now, it's a different story or song.
This afternoon, I will go over all the information that the Audio Circle members have posted and decide which album(s) I will buy via Amazon.
The good new is that my minister of finance also called my wife,
as won a huge amount of money, no kidding at the lottery.
She won 6,000,000 Vietnamese dollars,
which comes to 300 USD in real money.
Since Vietnam is a communist country,
you have to share your earning with the little kamarade,
so she gave me 50 USD and she kept 250 USD.
That's what she call 50/50 sharing.
Anyway, 50 USD is better than nothing,

Guy 13

Guy 13

I am ready to spen the money my wife gave me,
but before spending/investing carefully this hard earned money,
I would like to get your help/opinion on the followings:
All Chet Atkins.
Picks on the Beatles 7USD
Guitar Monster. 15 USD
but the Neck & Neck KaHD
Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler
40.89 USD.
Is that for one or two CDs ?
I want the most tracks on one CD.
I am mostly interested in Chet plying songs that we all know.
How about a (New) vinyl from Chet ? ? ?

Guy 13

edn4x4

I am ready to spen the money my wife gave me,
but before spending/investing carefully this hard earned money,
I would like to get your help/opinion on the followings:
All Chet Atkins.
Picks on the Beatles 7USD
-good if you like the Beatles
Guitar Monster. 15 USD
-great album, just not one that will have a lot of songs you may know

but the Neck & Neck KaHD
Chet Atkins & Mark Knopfler
40.89 USD.
- not sure, but N&N isnt what I would call stellar either.

Is that for one or two CDs ?
I want the most tracks on one CD.
- the suggestion above: 8 Classic Albums - Chet Atkins sounds like a great value and may have to get this myself!

I am mostly interested in Chet plying songs that we all know.
-Chet Picks On The Grammys - I like this one a lot.
-Essential Chet Atkins - this is 2 cds lots of "classic" Chet.
-Guitar Legend: The RCA Years - also 2cds
- East Tennessee Christmas - you may know all the songs on this one :D  This is the best holiday CD there is!

How about a (New) vinyl from Chet ? ? ?
-he died in 2001...

Guy 13

Guy 13 see my comments above based on your specific comments.  I am trying to spend your money wisely!
I grew up listening to mostly CA because my dad has always been a big fan.  My dad know how to play guitar an in the CA style.  I enjoy the music very much and the last couple years have been
getting back into CA.  Best of luck in you purchases and post back what you end up with.
Eric