Follow up on my Omega 7F

Guy 13

Follow up on my Omega 7F
« on: 9 Feb 2014, 07:28 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
A follow up on my recent Omega 7F purchase.
The Omega will replace the Audio Nirvana;
that I have enjoyed for about 5 years.
The Audio Nirvana are we very good at reproducing all the details from vinyl and CDs.
They are very sensitive with 95dB, therefore a good match for my Decware SE84 at 2wpc.
However, they have like most if not all the extended range drivers a peak between 1 to 5KHz, which makes then a little fatiguing on long listening sessions.
95-96

Now the Omega 7F have been installed to the best of my abilities. However, later on, they will find a new home, I mean a new enclosure bass reflex or OB dipole, will see.
03-06

I know it’s far from being the best arrangement, but for now, it will do.
I will stop make some of you languish and go directly to the subject.
How do they sound?
Good, very good.
All the details are still there, but in a sweeter way.
They are not shouty like the Audio Nirvana.
That peak at 2Khz is much more tolerable.
I like them, I will keep then and they will replace permanently the Audio Nirvana, however, I cannot throw in the garbage the Audio Nirvana, for 78 USD/pair, they are good entry units un the wonderful world of extended range driver.
One last thing, the Omega are only 93dB and my Decware is now working a little harder for the same sound level.
To me that’s not as real problem, listening level 85dB and near field listening.
I am happy.

Guy 13

Side by side comparaison.
The magnet of the Audio Nirvana is double the size...
Does that make it sound better ? ? ?
92-94

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Follow up on my Omega 7F
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:39 pm »
Thanks for posting.  Please let us know your impressions after break in.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:42 pm »
Thanks for posting.  Please let us know your impressions after break in.
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
You can be sure that I will post my 20 hours + impressions.

Guy 13
Thanks for posting your interest for what I do.

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2014, 12:43 am »
Wow, Guy very cool work and you got those up and running pretty fast ... I also see that you're using the Decware SE84 (one of my all time favorite amps)!  Thanks for the pictures as well and for the comparisons to the Audio Nirvanas.  I had always been curious of the sound differences between the two (especially since the AV drivers are so much bigger).

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:10 am »
Wow, Guy very cool work and you got those up and running pretty fast ... I also see that you're using the Decware SE84 (one of my all time favorite amps)!  Thanks for the pictures as well and for the comparisons to the Audio Nirvanas.  I had always been curious of the sound differences between the two (especially since the AV drivers are so much bigger).
Hi beowulf and all Audio Circle members.
Everything was already built, I only had to remove the Audio Nirvana and made a small adaptor plate and screw the Omega to the plate and the plate to the existing front plate and voila.
My Decware SE84C+ sometimes surprise me with the sound it gives and now with the Omega, what more could I ask?
Well, I could ask for a Bottlehead Stereomour with JJ 2a3-40,
but that would set me back more than 1,000USD,
money that I can only spend if I win at the lottery.
The Audio Nirvana at 78USD/pair (Paid a few years back)
was a good way to see/hear what extended range driver can do.
I do not regret my Audio Nirvana purchase even if they sounded shouty.
I want to up-grade the tubes (el84) of my Decware SE84,
but with the Electro Harmonix doing a good job,
I wonder if I will spend 60 USD+ on some Genalex Gold Lion and still get the same sound without any improvements ? ?
Thanks for your comments.

Guy 13

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm »
I believe Louis answered this question for you on December 22, 2013:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119777.msg1287859#msg1287859

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm »
I believe Louis answered this question for you on December 22, 2013:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119777.msg1287859#msg1287859
Hi JLM and all Audio Circle members.
Again, I miss something.
I really have to concentrate more on what I do,
either that or I get my reading glasses prescription renewed.
Thanks JLM.
There is still one question unanswered, but I give up.
Too bad Danny cannot answer my question,
because Danny is as fast as Speedy Gonzales.

Guy 13

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:25 pm »
Great posts Guy,

I noticed you set the 7F in the back of the hole your Audio Nirvana driver was in.  It might be a good idea to try and get the 7F flush with the front of the baffle, as your current setup could be giving you edge diffraction thus effecting imaging and possibly tone.

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2014, 02:05 am »
Great posts Guy,

I noticed you set the 7F in the back of the hole your Audio Nirvana driver was in.  It might be a good idea to try and get the 7F flush with the front of the baffle, as your current setup could be giving you edge diffraction thus effecting imaging and possibly tone.
Hi Canada Rob and all Audio Circle members.
My first idea was to put the adaptor plate on which the 7F is mounted on in front of the thick existing plate,
but I said to myself, it will look ungly, therefore, I've put it in the back, knowing that it 's not the ideal set up.
In addition, I thought that the 7F should more or less be aligned with the woofer voice coil.
But now that you mention it, it cost nothing other than a few minutes to make the change.
I will try it and report my new findings.
By the way, I have 10 more hours on the 7F, 10 more to go.
I was listening to my Decware + 7F combo while doing some other stuff
and I was surprised how my system sounds good,
of course, depending on the quality of the recording.

Guy 13

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2014, 12:13 am »
Hi Guy13,

Thanks for the post and looks great as you did a very good job with the retrofit. Very happy you like the sound of the 7F and the hardest thing to do is design out the shout.

I look forward to what you come up with as your next speaker project.

Thanks,
Louis

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2014, 08:10 am »
Hi Guy13,

Thanks for the post and looks great as you did a very good job with the retrofit. Very happy you like the sound of the 7F and the hardest thing to do is design out the shout.

I look forward to what you come up with as your next speaker project.

Thanks,
Louis
Hi Louis and all Audio Circle members.
My next speaker project is moving the Omega 7F
from the OB to a Bass Reflex enclosure
with the dimensions you gave me in a previous e-mail:
38" X 11" X 8"
Hope those are the right dimensions for the 7F ?
I have another question for you:
Can I put the 7F on the 8" side instead of the 11"
I want to make the enclosure as thin as possible.
I have more questions for you:
What's the diameter of the RS5?
Can I buy it without enclosure?
How much would it cost?
Would it be better than the 7F sound wise,
I am not worried about bass, I have sub woofer.
Of course the RS5 will be installed in a Bass Reflex enclosure
according to your recommended dimensions.
Hope to get your answers before Easter.
Yes, it's a joke, the Easter, not the questions. :lol:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2014, 08:32 am »
Great posts Guy,

Hi Canada Rob and all Audio Circle members.
I just moved the adapter plate with the Omega 7F from the back to the front
of the existing original plate.
I cannot make the 7F flush with the original driver's mounting plate,
because, well because it's too much work... For me anyway.
For now, that will do.
Now, how about the sound?
Better ?
Well honestly, with my 66 years old (Today my birthday) ears,
I think the sound is better, a little better, but I am not sure, I think it is.
That's me; it takes for me a huge improvement for me to hear a difference.
But, I am sure it can't be worst, only better.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Later on this year, I might get a pair of Bass Reflex enclosures made
by my local cabinet maker, not necessary for better sound, but to try to shrink down the size of the speakers.
Pictures before.

...and after or now.

You did not make this suggestion, but I decided to try it, even if my floor is re-enforced concrete with ceramic tiles.
Each one made me poorer by 0,50USD.

Anymore suggestion, recommendations, ideas, they are all welcome,
it does not mean I will follow and do all of them, but they will increase my audio knowledge and that's always welcome.
Thanks Canada Rob.

Canada Guy 13.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2014, 04:34 pm »
You are most welcome Guy.

Vietnam Rob

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:23 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
Since last time,
I have put 10 more hours on my Omega 7F,
do they sound better?
Maybe ?
One thing is sure,
I like them LESS
than tomorrow,
but more than yesterday !
One thing is sure,
with a very reveling SET amplifier (Decware SE84C+)
and a very good extended range driver (Omega 7F)
you hear things you did not hear before,
plus,
you like to listen to music that you did not listen to
before with the previous (Inferior) system.
I am very happy with my system and for me,
(Nearfield listening), with a 2wpc amplifier
and 93dB driver is more than enough.
Of course (Depending on the recording) the amplifier
has to run close to maximum.
3.5wpc with 2a3 would be better, but for now it will do.

Guy 13

This set up is really good a reproducing almost live music
with single/solo instrument or small ensemble,
however,
I must admit that with big orchestra,
it's not so good in the details and in the dynamics.
You get get all from a small system...

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2014, 11:29 am »
Hi Louis and all Audio Circle members.
I am still waiting for ans answer to my question on my post 2345
called : {{ Follow up on my Omega 7F }}
I want to know if I can put the driver on the narrow side of the enclosure
and what I the port size and can I put it in the front and if I put it in the back, what distance minimum from the back wall.
Many unanswered questions...
I am waiting for answers to (Maybe) start my next speaker project.

Guy 13

daveapex

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2014, 06:09 am »
Thanks Guy for your follow up thread.

You mentioned this speaker is not as detailed as a smaller speaker.
Do you mean a smaller driver for the full-range or a smaller speaker like a mini-monitor?

If a mini-monitor, which speakers are you referring too?

Not being able to hear the Omegas while trying to make a purchase decision is fairly difficult.
All I can go from > are some of these excellent posts and a short list of periodic reviews.
Understanding the aspect of > everything in the speaker world is a compromise, it becomes a question of which compromises to make for obtaining the best sound.

Not having a crossover makes logical sense.
But then > can a whizzer cone attached to a larger 7" cone produce more accurate and detailed higher frequencies and have a flatter frequency response curve than high quality silk dome tweeter.

Or, should one use the omega 5F for greater detail?
Or, would the Alnico magnet make such a difference in driver control to surpass the upper detail refinement of a high quality silk dome?

It also seems from the Omega published frequency graphs, the 7 A's are up and down all over the place as much as 18db from 3k upward.

And of course > two 10" woofers versus one 15" woofer for the lower bass portions?

Questions ??????????????

Guess that's what makes this interesting.

Thanks, daveapex

JLM

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:56 am »
daveapex,

Yes!  Thanks to the laws of physics there is no perfect speaker, all are compromised.  They fit different places, meet different goals, have different prices, etc.  From a sonic perspective the $5,000+ mastering speakers used to proof recordings in ideal rooms would be the gold standard, but those setups aren't meant to be particularly entertaining. 

And there are tons of theories regarding what type of speaker would ideal in a typical residential setting (whatever that is): sealed, ported, front loaded horns, rear loaded horns, pipes, transmission lines, constant directivity, dipole, bipole, or omni-pole.  Driver designs/materials also run the gamut.  And should a speaker design be optimized to a particular genre of music or even home theater use?  Notice that I mention 'residential setting'?  That's because bass propagates differently in our rooms at home that in a concert hall or outdoors.  Below roughly 140 Hz sound behaves like waves, not rays.  Search AC for "swarm" or read Floyd E. Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn more about the need for multiple subwoofers to do bass "right".

So it boils down to your preferences and circumstances.  Personally I'm very hooked on near-field listening (great imaging and removing as many of the room effects possible) and the (critical for near-field) coherence that single driver speakers provide.  Your find single driver designs best suited for 'real' versus 'electronic' music and small ensembles versus large/loud ones. 

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2014, 10:59 am »

Do you mean a smaller driver for the full-range or a smaller speaker like a mini-monitor?

Not being able to hear the Omegas while trying to make a purchase decision is fairly difficult.
All I can go from > are some of these excellent posts and a short list of periodic reviews.
Understanding the aspect of > everything in the speaker world is a compromise, it becomes a question of which compromises to make for obtaining the best sound.

But then > can a whizzer cone attached to a larger 7" cone produce more accurate and detailed higher frequencies and have a flatter frequency response curve than high quality silk dome tweeter.

Or, would the Alnico magnet make such a difference in driver control to surpass the upper detail refinement of a high quality silk dome?

It also seems from the Omega published frequency graphs, the 7 A's are up and down all over the place as much as 18db from 3k upward.

And of course > two 10" woofers versus one 15" woofer for the lower bass portions?

Questions ??????????????

Thanks, daveapex

Hi daveapex.

My pleasure.

Again, I did not express myself clearly, sorry about that.
I have no proof of that, but I think the Omega 5F might have better midrange, because it’s smaller, this is just an assumption based on my 45 years of fooling around with audio stuff.
I wanted to order from Louis the 5F and the 7F, (The 7A Alnico is too expensive for me, minds you, Common Sense Audio has some Alnico drivers, but there are even more expensive then Louis drivers.) and compare to see which one sound better.
According to other Audio Circle members, the 5F is good and the 7F is also good, therefore, very difficult to know which driver is better.
I choose the 7F, first because it’s a 7” and it should be better in the bass region, plus I think with the whizzer cone it will go a little higher, regardless of what the specs says.
In addition, those 7F are replacing a pair of Audio Nirvana 8” extended range driver which are the basic model with stamped basket and no phase plug, they are good to experiment, but they have a big camel bump on the critical region of 2KHz.
The 7F sound less screemy (Excuse my choice of words, I have a good excuse, my mother’s language is French. In French that would translate into: Criard)
My long term idea was also to re-locate the 7F into a bass reflex enclosure, so that I would eliminate the need for a sub-woofer, but after playing some music that I like very much, like Fanfare for a common man and the same, I realize that I still need my OB dipole sub-woofer, and by the way, I love the sound of them 

I don’t remember mentioning anything about mini-monitor, (That’s normal at 66 years old) between a mini-monitor that require a stand (That can cost quite a few $$$) and is usually weak in the base compared to a floor standing enclosure, that as more base and don’t need any stand, I do prefer a floor standing unit.
Minds you, the 5F in a large enclosure won’t give as much bass as a 7F in a similar enclosure.
I hope I have not lost you half down my fogy explanation.

Living on planet Vietnam, I understand exactly what you mean by: Not being able to hear… Any speakers/drivers…

Understanding the aspect of > everything in the speaker world is a compromise; it becomes a question of which compromises to make for obtaining the best sound.

Yes, compromise, but which one ? ? ?
I love the bass, I now increasingly love midrange, especially now that I have heard some good extended range drivers and the last, but not least the highs, with details, but sweet.
Every where these days we are surrounded but aggressive sound, even National Geographic and Discovery channel have the aggressive distorted electric guitar as back ground music, very, very annoying. 
Now, which compromise will I made for my last sound system, the one that I will bring with me in my grave?
Bass, no compromise there, especially that here in Vietnam, I have plenty of room, but later, when I am back in Canada and as many old farts like me, they will park me in a small room the size of a toilet, therefore, no sub-woofer (Also because of the neighbors) so, a 7F in a large bass reflex enclosure might be the solution, that why soon, I might get built by my friendly local cabinet maker a pair of bass reflex enclosure that will probably cost me around 150 USD/pair. Yes, in Vietnam it’s cheap labor.
For the mids; I am not worried OB dipole or bass reflex it won’t alter the mids. The same for the highs.
Therefore, my only compromise will be the bass, but then, I can always wear my Sennheiser HD-650 with my Bottlehead Crack, I will have plenty of bass at discotheque level if I want to.

As you might know already, I have a pair of GR Research V1 with what I call a fairly complicated passive cross-over circuit.
Danny (The designer) will not agree with me I am sure.
Those are good speaker, but I prefer the crossover less 7F even with its bump at 2Khz. (Compromise)

On that, I cannot help/answer you.
At a (Much) later date, I will experiment with my GR Research N3 with Neo tweeter and see which of the two (N3 vs 7F) as better highs.

I might be wrong, but look as if more Audio Circle members are using the 5F, therefore, prefer the 5F to the 7F. You would have to do yourself (Which, I know, is not possible) a side by side test and hear, since it’s not possible, you have to more or less rely on others experience.
If you will go with a bass reflex enclosure, then I will say go for the 5F with a sub-woofer, even if it’s an 8” powered model or go for the 7F in a floor standing bass reflex enclosure, but again, it come down to what type of music do you prefer?
I am sure some Audio Circle members with join this topic to give their opinion and more important, their experience with Omega drivers.
By the way, according to what I read from Louis, the 5F and 7F won’t be available anymore, I think this is a big mistake, to introduce a new and very good product and shortly after make it not discontinued, but unavailable.

This is my opinion, based on… Well not much.
But for what the extra $$$ the manufacturers are asking for Alnico, I don’t think the extra $$$ is a good investment, however, if you are not poor like me, then it might be worth.
Danny from GR Research ahs a few good dome tweeters that you could buy from him, I don’t want to talk for him, but who knows, he might even accept a return after 30 days if you are not 100% satisfied, but maybe I should not have written that ? ? ?

I still look at the frequency graphs and all the time, I am disappointed with their roller coasters curves. What’s more important, is the sound you hear, not the specs, the specs might be a good starting point.
What manufacturers have a straight line frequency graph?
Not even the more expensive Lowther drivers.

Mine are Eminence 12” Acoustinator which are guitar amplifier speakers and their specs are nothing to impress, but I love heir sound, up to now, of all the speakers I have owned in the past 45 years they are the one to keep until I kick the bucket.
Yes, they are big, but no bigger than two (One on top of the other) sealed 12” sub woofer.

Questions ??????????????
Welcome to the club.
I am many times impressed and influenced by things users write about their choice of products, but some times, they are biased. For what reasons ???
I guess it’s because of their choice of audio components that fill their desire.
For me, first it’s bass, then the naturalness of the mids, it’s like you are there, it’s the abundance of micro details.

Interesting and sometime also frustrating.
So much choice and so many different opinions, that’s why you have some many manufacturers, to give you lots of choices and frustration.
I hope this will help you more than confuse you.
I am not audio expert, but now, I know what I want and what I like, it took me 45 years to find out and lots of $$$, but I regret nothing other than the $$$ that could have been used for my retirement.
Thanks for asking me, even If I gave you more than what you have asked.
Have a nice day.

Guy 13

Thanks, daveapex

Thanks JLM for your post, as always, very well written.
I agree with you 100% extended range drivers excel in small ensemble
and solo instrument. I love guitar with my near field set up.
I have just ordered five CDs of Chet Atkins (Mr. Guitar).

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:51 am »

Hi all.
I have to keep myself busy with (Audio) projects in this boring country that goes by the name of Planet Vietnam, otherwise, I will go insane. Yes, I know, I am already a little (A lot for some) insane, crazy, weird…
I’ve decided to up-grade the look of my Audio 13 speakers.
I am keeping my Omega 7F because after 30 hours of burn-in they play as good as the first hour.
I love them.
Too bad Louis does not offer them anymore.
Well, if you are not like me, (Broke $$$) you can always buy a plug and play Omega speaker.
Now, for the final beauty touch, I would like to have the opinion of all interested Audio Circle members.
Which one you think is more handsome?
DSC9911

or this one
DSC9915

Those were built for almost free with everything I had in the garage, except a can of spray black paint and some sand paper.
I am looking for a nice looking support bracket to make the baffle sturdier.
Now, I need (Again) your advice, but this time it’s more for sound than look.
According to your experience, which one is better?
DSC9917

or this high density foam
DSC9920

or this medium density egg shell foam.
DSC9931

The idea is to eliminate the reflection of sound.
Close up of the Omega 7F with its newly black painted magnet.
DSC9926

Here is the almost complete Audio 13 speaker, the only missing item is the sub-woofer grill and that’s my next anti boring project.
DSC9927

I am now riveted to my computer’s screen waiting for your suggestions and expert advices.

Guy 13

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2014, 01:34 pm »
Guy, I like the top one best, it will likely help maintain a little more bass output from the driver as well.  I would recommend adding back your rear wings to help with the bass as well.  Very nice looking, good job.

Best,
Ed