Suggestion for Tube based Power amplifier

joeling39

Suggestion for Tube based Power amplifier
« on: 25 Jan 2014, 03:31 pm »
Hi all,

While my solid state curiosity is piqued, my main system is having some issues. I have become disillusioned with my ARC ref250s after one of the monoblocks developed a mechanical buzz after 1000hrs of use. Prior to that, this pair has broken down at least twice due to coupling cap issues resulting in loss of bias killing tubes.

Anyway, enough about that. I am looking for suitable tube power amplifier to replace the ref250. For the moment, I am pretty happy with my linestage - ARC ref40 so I may not change it out.

I listen to a lot of vocals so my preference in descending order of importance :

1) mid range - vocals must sound nice
2) soundstage
3) bass - bass would be nice

My speakers are ProAc Carbon 8 & main source is Aurender W20 + DCS Vivaldi stack

Any suggestions on what to audition ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Suggestion for Tube based Power amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2014, 03:58 pm »
Seems this ProcAc are a hard load to a tube amp with 4 ohms and 91dB.
I would buy a SET mono with a 8 ohms 100dB two way floorstanding speaker.

Better yet a 16 ohms/100dB as Zu Superfly:
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/soul-superfly
Good luck.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2014, 06:39 pm »
I am surprised to hear of someone having reliability issues with ARC gear.  They have a pretty good rep for it.

As to recs for replacement(s) of your high power tube amp.  VTL, Manley, and Valve Amplification Company are three brands that are known for reliability as well.

I'd be hesitant to change my whole system just due to reliability issues with one piece.  :roll:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2014, 06:47 pm »
Music Reference RM-200 or Rogue ST-100.  These amps may not have the syrupy midrange you're used to but they are very neutral with great bass and soundstage.

I've heard of lots of reliability problems with ARC amps.  They were running the tubes very hard at one time (maybe still are?).  That gave them a magical sound but killed the tubes pretty quickly.  They also mounted a lot of their power tubes horizontally which is just asking for catastrophic failures...especially if you run tubes hot.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2014, 07:40 pm »
I am surprised to hear of someone having reliability issues with ARC gear.  They have a pretty good rep for it.

As to recs for replacement(s) of your high power tube amp.  VTL, Manley, and Valve Amplification Company are three brands that are known for reliability as well.

I'd be hesitant to change my whole system just due to reliability issues with one piece.  :roll:

I've been reading more complaints about ARC gear the past few years.  I am not a fan of mounting output tubes on circuit boards, regardless of who makes the amp.  I also have seen notes on the Upscale Audio site that states 6550 tubes have no warranty if used in certain ARC amps. 

pehare

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2014, 09:11 pm »
un-fused output tubes is good for business :lol:

rpf

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2014, 10:09 pm »
I'll second Rogue. Reliable and great service.

Zeus or Apollo, if you need the power. I heard the latter (w KT120s) in Mark O'Brian's setup and was blown away.

joeling39

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2014, 01:44 pm »
Thanks guys. Music Reference seems interesting. I will do more research on Rogue as well.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : keep the suggestions coming !

joeling39

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2014, 01:48 pm »
Fullrangeman,

I ran a pair of Diatone MB610MB is a DIY bass reflex cab for 10 years with DIY Transcendent Sound T8 & DIY Vacuum State FVP.

Love / hate relationship. Audition & even purchased a few other speakers along the way but never could replace the Diatone until the ProAc D28 (which I audition but settled on a higher model when I moved to larger premises)

Regards,
Joe Ling

jupiterboy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2014, 01:49 pm »
Don’t know your location, or your feelings on imported gear, but Eastern Electric has some tube monoblocks. If you like the tubes it uses, it might be one to consider.

avta

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2014, 02:40 pm »
Joe:
I'v got a pair of Quicksilver Mono 88's and enjoy them very much. Made in Stockton, California. Hand wired no circuit boards. Uses KT88 tubes and puts out 80 Watts. Very reliable stuff from a fellow ( Mike Sanders ) who has been in the business for many years. ( www.quicksilveraudio.com ) I have no connection with the company other than being a satisfied customer.
Guy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2014, 04:25 pm »
Thanks guys. Music Reference seems interesting. I will do more research on Rogue as well.

Regards,
Joe Ling

PS : keep the suggestions coming !

Check out Michael Fremer's 2nd review of it in Stereophile...probably 1 year ago or so.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2014, 07:44 pm »
What's your budget?

joeling39

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:23 am »
My Budget is around USD50K +- 10%

rpf

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2014, 05:20 am »
At that budget I would be sure to check out VAC and VTL.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2014, 07:07 am »
It's well under your budget, but the Arte Forma Due Volte 805A-T tube based SET is a very nice sounding and solid amp.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120653.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2014, 08:42 am »
Fullrangeman,

I ran a pair of Diatone MB610MB is a DIY bass reflex cab for 10 years with DIY Transcendent Sound T8 & DIY Vacuum State FVP.

Love / hate relationship. Audition & even purchased a few other speakers along the way but never could replace the Diatone until the ProAc D28 (which I audition but settled on a higher model when I moved to larger premises)

Regards,
Joe Ling
Large rooms arent suited to small tube amps and sole fullranges indeed.
FWIW this floorstanding maybe fit your refined taste, unfortunately it also 4 ohms but had a benign impedance line:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/MG944.html
They had some minimalist tube amps also:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/tubes.html
Cheers

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2014, 12:54 pm »
$50,000 budget?  Did I read that correctly?

Then screw the Music Reference RM-100.  Go for his RM-300 monoblocks or his new 100W OTLs, which aren't yet up on the website but are described here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121659.0

The Rogue Apollo Monos are also very nice sounding amps.  A friend has a pair.  I'd say they're a real bargain at asking price.

avta

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2014, 03:08 pm »
You might check into these:  www.absolare.com

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
  Tube Research Lab, Lamm, David Berning  come to mind. David offers monoblocks and stero amps that IMO are the ones to beat. Lamm second TRL third.
   Do not rule out hybrid designs as you may well be very surprised.

charles