Update - Soon to be one of the club

ASCTLC

Update - Soon to be one of the club
« on: 18 Dec 2013, 05:54 pm »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking here for quite some time.  Found you guys from my AC VMPS hangout a while ago - mostly lurked there too.  The short story is all my gear was lost in a fire and having to start over.  Can't get my Hafler DH500 nor VMPS Tower IIs back and certainly not at the cost those were back 18 or so years ago.  We really liked the sound of our old Hafler and we found it worked very well with those Tower IIs in our 5000+ cuft rooms.  For all those years we never got that sense of needing more or what others might have perceived as "better".  After all my searches for a DH500 replacement found nothing but beat up abused equipment I had no choice but to set out to find a reasonably priced replacement that followed many of the paths of such an amp - power, ruggedness, simplicity, great value, affordable, etc...     

It started with reading and finding Frank was very familiar with Hafler amps and even had some level of appreciation for it, at least for that era of Hafler equipment back then.  I even went through all those old Audio Basic Newsletters.  When I spoke with Frank a few months ago it was no surprise his greater appreciation of his own developments, he's been making successful advancements for decades and has every justification to be proud.  I found confidence that if he saw that old Hafler gear was good enough to improve, he's most likely following the kind of sound I like.  And just like that DH500 I get to allocate our money on muscle, bone, and guts, not makeup  :thumb:

So that pristine condition gear (we take great care of our stuff!) lost is being replaced with a new Synergy 450 and Insight+ EC to power a pair of Legacy Audio Signature SEs.  Not sure if insurance ever contacted Frank like I know they did Legacy Audio, but if they did he obviously did for my wife and me every bit of solid effort to get their acceptance to allow the Synergy 450 as replacement.

I contacted Legacy Audio for help in deciding my amp and chose the Synergy amp based on their belief that their Signature tends to perform better with solid state gear - score luck for us in cost over the 600R - money's tight right now with all that's going on after the fire.  I really want to try the Transcendence preamp but just can't get there financially.  I kept watching for a used one with remote that might drop into our affordability but can't hang out for hope of one forever.  So we decided on the Insight+ EC.  Even that was a bit of a stretch for us but my wife is practical from the stand point that we take great care of our equipment and expect it to last the rest of our lives just as we did our past Hafler/VMPS configuration.  While we won't be thinking about the extra couple hundred dollars spent over insurance reimbursement years from now, a few hundred further above that is beyond fingertip range.  hmmmm.... I sound like I'm expecting less than satisfaction for the Insight - nope - not at all!  That Insight+ is expected to be light years ahead in quality, performance, and our satisfaction over the old Adcom preamp we had  :o  I'm just itching to experience a tube preamp.   If I were a cat I'd be dead  :green: 

I was trying to stretch it out there for a pair of 95db efficient Focus HD or SEs because our new room is expected to be in that 6000+ cuft range but my better half put the stop to that.  She figured the Signatures will be about as big as she can accept in the room.  That's alright though, I believe they'll perform admirably powered by 225 AVA watts/channel for all our 2 channel music and movie duties, even at the devilish levels I push on occasion when I get a hankerin to rock out to the extreme.

Is an interesting discussion on cables in a recent thread.  We were using basic AudioQuest Evergreen and Golden Gate interconnects before and got some of those back already in my "get us by " system.  Haven't finalized speaker cable decision though.  We had super basic old 12ga multistrand cables but I could see they were oxidizing pretty bad the full length under the clear insulation.  Wasn't doing myself any service slackin on replacement but guess I they would have gone up in smoke anyway.  Sure are a lot of interesting views on speaker cables and biwire or not.  I guess I tend to fall in the simple camp of staying one gauge larger than I think I need and I'm content to concern myself with more important matters like making my next sandwich :wink:  I may experiment with biwiring though.  Nothing like seeing hearing for one's self.  If I don't appreciate a difference, no harm, no foul, I can just double the wires at the speaker end too for a single large gauge cable start to finish.

Anticipation is running high.  Guessing I have another couple weeks or so for the AVA and about another 4 weeks for the speakers.

Andy
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2014, 01:43 pm by ASCTLC »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Soon to be one of the club
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2013, 06:44 pm »
Sorry to hear of your loss Andy. Thankfully I take it only material, which can be replaced. I don't think you have any worries regarding the new amp, I'm running Frank's refit Insight + in my old Hafler 200 chassis, and a FET Valve Ultra 500 in another system for close to 7 years now without a hiccup. Do I have the occasional upgraditis attack, of course, thankfully when it gets bad enough I'll be able to send whatever unit back to Frank and get it spiffed up to the latest for what I know will be a most reasonable expense.

Enjoy the new system.  :thumb:

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2013, 08:50 pm »
I suggest you look at http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ if you need to replace your interconnect and speaker cables.

Their standard interconnect cables are very low capacitance, very well shielded, have excellent termination fittings, and are rationally priced.

I recommend their speaker wires done with their locking banana plug terminations.  Again, durable, heavy duty and well made.

Frank Van Alstine

benguin

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2013, 09:13 pm »
Andy- I can only imagine having to work though the entire inventory/replacement process after a fire.  I know it has to be immensely stressful.

One good thing that will come of it is your new AVA Synergy amp.  I still have the DH500 that I purchased new right after securing my post-college job back in 1984, and have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since.  Having a recent chance to do a total system upgrade starting with a Salk based 7.1 system, I cannot emphasize enough how much I appreciate Frank's amplifier expertise.

We had a chance to hear both the Synergy and Fet Valve amps A/B'ed- both are terrific choices.  We were very luck to pick up a 600r, and it is amazing the clarity that it brings out in the Salks.   I do not think we could be more pleased with the AVA equipment and Frank's prompt responses to questions.

I hope you'll post a follow up when you get things up and running!
  Ben
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2013, 02:41 pm by benguin »

mark funk

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm »
Just wait. I still have a DH200 and a Dyna 416 and I just sold an Adcom pre amp/tuner GTF 350? Is that the right number?
Synergy-Insight-Legacy! You are going to blow your mind. Wish I could see your face the first time you fire your new set up.

:smoke:

Minn Mark

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:27 pm »
Likewise, I think you will be exceedingly pleased with the Insight+ EC. It's my 'reference' preamp, and sounds glorious: very revealing, musical, and can be pushed WAY LOUD, without giving an inch.  If you're at all into vinyl I hope you added the Vision phono circuits- they are amazing.

Best wishes and tell us how much you love your new equipment !
 :D
Mark

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2013, 06:29 pm »
a 3ft blue jeans cable cost $31.00, a pair of the same length at Home Depot is about $4.00.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2013, 07:43 pm »
I have no problems with Home Depot interconnects.  We use the Bluejeans cables because we are connecting and disconnecting equipment all the time as we burn in and listen carefully to each unit going out of here and bargain cables won't stand up to all the handling.

Frank

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:40 pm »
Some of the cables at the big-box stores are not what they seem to be.  I have read reports of speaker cables with what appear to be well known old line major brands (like RCA) are in fact under-sized copper plated aluminum wires with equally questionable connectors.

Brett Buck

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:35 am »
Some of the cables at the big-box stores are not what they seem to be.  I have read reports of speaker cables with what appear to be well known old line major brands (like RCA) are in fact under-sized copper plated aluminum wires with equally questionable connectors.

I don't know about undersized, but I can verify that the current RCA labeled interconnects are not what they used to be. I have several sets and they have all proven to be either intermittent out of the box, or unreliable, becoming intermittent or failing outright after a few manipulations. You can tell them from the older types by looking at the ground shield connections - the metal part that comes out of the molded plug is sort of petal-shaped, instead of squared-off like the old, good ones.

Brett

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2013, 03:24 am »
The short story is all my gear was lost in a fire and having to start over.  .

Anticipation is running high.  Guessing I have another couple weeks or so for the AVA and about another 4 weeks for the speakers.

Andy

Andy,
So sorry to hear about the fire. You didn't need to mention the million little irreplaceable family heirlooms/items
that mean so much to all of us. And like Arthur said, you and your family are still here. Thanks for letting us know that one, most important thing :thumb:

Our own Bunky here at AC lost all of his belongings including his amazing Odyssey Audio gear in a fire.

With the monetary and gear and advice help from many AC members, he has recovered somewhat and has another
amazing setup. Although the last time we spoke, he alluded to missing his Odyssey gear especially since he met Klaus
(Odyssey Audio) recently, in person.

I now have mostly AVA gear including a T-8 tube preamp (the kids starved for months so I could afford it ),(just kidding), which accompanied by the Vision EC DAC, I have gained great inroads to calm my digital tunes. But like Mark said the Insight+EC is stellar and entirely sufficient.

Personally, I have been lusting after the R series amps as I need more power but am seriously considering the Synergy line.
For some reason, I just miss something Solid State in the chain.
I see half of you AC'ers rolling your eyes. Like with most of my posts. But I'm learning, I hope :duh:

In conclusion, remember that Frank will never steer you wrong. Cables don't have to be that important right away.
It can cost us little to start with. Then move on as you feel comfortable. Bi-wire or not, or whatever. In fact, I think lots
of my discomfort with my setup has been with not trying cables before I just add them into the mix. And as MF said,
MFunk, We would love to see your eyes when you fire it up. 8)

James

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm »
Hey ASCTLC,I lost a lot of gear and in fact everything that I owned in a house fire in 2008 so I have a good idea as to how you feel right now. Frank Van Alstine is a excellent EE and audio circuit designer so I would say that you are in very good hands indeed when it comes to your amplification needs .i have listened extensively to the Legacy Audio speaker line and the Signature SE is my favorite in their lineup. if you are looking for well made cables I recommend that you take a look at Chris Sommovigo's Black Cat audio cables. good luck....William

ASCTLC

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2013, 12:20 pm »
Thanks for the good words all and the confirmation that we are choosing a good combination of components.

For William, looks like I'm part of more than just one club here. Even in the same subset of that club - wasn't allowed back to the house to save anything at all. But I hate that club and sorry you're part of it too.  Morbid curiosity if you suffered forest fire totality of loss too.

No pity party for us though.   :nono:

Andy

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2013, 09:43 pm »
Lost my house (and everything in it) in the CO wildfires in June.  It gets better over time.  I've already started rebuilding the stereo even though the house is still a ways away.  Ordered a FET Valve DAC and 600R from Frank.  That's a good start.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2013, 11:50 pm »
Hi,

If you haven't bought your speakers have you considered some of the speaker manufacturers on Audiocircle?  There are Selah Audio, Salk Sound and Vapor Audio.  For the money Selah Audio Tempestas are very hard to beat and would match the Van Alstine amps well.  Also, Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic 3's could be another speaker to consider and you might want to contact Frank who has just bought a pair.  I'm only trying to help with these recommendations.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2013, 05:16 am by Rocket »

ASCTLC

« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2013, 12:59 pm »
Lost my house (and everything in it) in the CO wildfires in June.  It gets better over time.  I've already started rebuilding the stereo even though the house is still a ways away.  Ordered a FET Valve DAC and 600R from Frank.  That's a good start.

Holy poop, are you one of my neighbors MrLittleJeans???  Lost ours, along with every last tree on our 5 acres,  the first afternoon in Black Forest. Or were you in another like the Royal Gorge?  There were so many going on in June  :cry:

Thanks for the recommendation Rod.  I checked those out  but my criteria was really tight so the Legacy won out above the others.

Andy

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2013, 08:03 am »
Hah!  Cool that I have a neighbor on AC and in Frank's circle but not cool our houses burned down.  I was on Snow Mass Drive just east of Black Forest Rd.  I think our house went the first day too.  Heck, there were burning branches falling from the trees as we dukes of hazarded it down the driveway and a wall of fire coming through the forest towards us.  We have 9.5 acres and a little more than half was trees and the rest was pasture.  I think we'll have a fair bit of trees make it from in front of the house but the trees behind the house are like black toothpicks sticking out of the ground.  What area were you?  We've picked a builder and are working on the plans right now.  Haven't made much progress on the rebuild since the beginning of November since we had twins on 11/12.

ASCTLC

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2013, 01:27 pm »
We're Herring just south of Swan right where the road dips.  Put up mailbox already after post office hassle so friends about a mile north of us on Herring and the other just to your west on Holmes Lane surprise decorated our mailbox.  Ain't no missing that mail box   8) :lol:  We have such awesome friends and support from them - you find out who they are pretty damn solid after something like this and hope you have the same.

You're so close to us.  Considering the 40+ mph wind and fire was coming from w-sw you got damned lucky you made it out alive having to drive west to get out of Snow Mass  :o    Was reported it crossed Herring at 6:17 so we're pretty sure when ours smoked. 

No builder yet but intending to put a house back up.  Still trying to vet a builder and not liking/trusting most.

Have a Merry Christmas as best as current times allow!

Andy

mrlittlejeans

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2013, 03:49 pm »
There was no driving west for us.  That would have been right into the wall of flame. :o  We went east on Snow Mass to Wildridge to Herring and then up to Hodgen and east.  I think we were bugging out around 5:00 or so and the trees were on fire all around us.  I'm still thankful we got out.  We had a cop at our back door telling us we had no time and if he hadn't been there, I don't know if we'd have gotten out.  I got home about 20 minutes before and checked the news and we weren't in the evac zones yet so we thought we had at least a little time.  How wrong we were.

We had a hard time picking a builder we thought we could trust too.  We ended up going with Tiffany Homes.  There was another one I thought I could trust named Steve Miller from Galiant Homes.  Agree on the friends.  With two dogs and three cats, I'm not sure what we'd have done if someone hadn't taken us in till we could find a rental.

ASCTLC

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2013, 04:20 pm »
Good to hear on Snow Mass connecting to Wildridge.  Never been on that road and maps show it dead ends forcing a west direction to get out.

Andy