is Bluesound filling the vacuum left by squeezebox?

stereocilia

is Bluesound filling the vacuum left by squeezebox?
« on: 12 Dec 2013, 02:57 am »
I'm not sure this fills the gap, but at least they are a competitor to sonos.  www.bluesound.com

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: is Bluesound filling the vacuum left by squeezebox?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:49 am »
The product line looks like a HD version of Sonus.

The Bluesound Node ($450 from Crutchfield) could be a SB replacement, but requires a smartphone/tablet to provide control.

Introductory 'review' here:  http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/press/home-theater-news/bluesound-hifi-for-wireless-generation-makes-its-debut/

Parent company is Linbrook (think NAD and PSB) out of Canada.

I congratulate another audio company that is trying to bridge good sound (don't know how good the speakers are) with lifestyle.

stereocilia

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2013, 02:23 pm »
I notice that the Node only has toslink output.  no spidf, no AES/EBU, no bnc, no hdmi.  Maybe that's okay though.   Also not sure if it will play dsf files.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm »
I notice that the Node only has toslink output.  no spidf, no AES/EBU, no bnc, no hdmi.  Maybe that's okay though.

Not okay... Silly move. They just shut out the audiophiles they were saying they are in their promotional video.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2013, 03:37 pm »
How is there a void?

There are hundreds of different media servers availible, what makes this (or the SB) different?

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:11 pm »
How is there a void?

There are hundreds of different media servers availible, what makes this (or the SB) different?

Hundreds?  Like what? 

Personally, I love the Squeezebox, even with its problems.   I have two Squeezeboxes. You stick a box near your home theater/family room system and have complete control using a remote (or a wireless device like a phone, etc., should you choose that).  I can also connect from any computer I have and play music (as I'm doing now).  I also like that they have digital, optical, and RCA outputs.  I can run the RCA into my Dodd battery preamp but also run the digital into my receiver (for those times I just want background music). 

I have one normal and one modified Squeezebox.  The modified version was good enough for me to get rid of my other CD players/DACs.  I had a Proceed CD player that was originally 5 grand, and the SB was better I thought (though it was a close call). 

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:57 pm »
The Sonore Sonic Orbiter is essentially a high end Squeezbox, with an onboard low noise linear power supply (no wall warts) and USB output for USB DACs.  Works with LMS, and controlled via tablet, phone, etc.

sts9fan

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2013, 06:45 pm »
How is there a void?

To me there is a void. I love the ability to sync my whole house for smal $$$. Plus the touch plays some hirez.
DLNA is not as satisfying to me. For now I use both squeeze boxes and Jriver for serious sessions.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2013, 10:47 pm »
I also like that they have digital, optical, and RCA outputs.  I can run the RCA into my Dodd battery preamp but also run the digital into my receiver (for those times I just want background music). 
That is pure genius. Why have I not thought of that. This opens entirely new horizons for me. How stupidly simple.  :duh:
Looks like I've got some work ahead of me.

Bob

HAITIMAN

« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2013, 12:00 am »
To me there is a void. I love the ability to sync my whole house for smal $$$. Plus the touch plays some hirez.
DLNA is not as satisfying to me. For now I use both squeeze boxes and Jriver for serious sessions.
Yup...SB Touch still rules the day. I managed to get the last one in a Best Buy in Canada late last year and now have two....still in daily use. The only competitor....the Olive One....has been delayed again and will supposedly be shipping in Feb, 2014. Best bet today is the Sony, with 500 gig hD and plays DSD.

Turnandcough

« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2013, 02:58 am »
Yup...SB Touch still rules the day. I managed to get the last one in a Best Buy in Canada late last year and now have two....still in daily use. The only competitor....the Olive One....has been delayed again and will supposedly be shipping in Feb, 2014. Best bet today is the Sony, with 500 gig hD and plays DSD.

I've been using SBs(stock and modded) for quite a while. I feel comfortable with the software and its many tweaks. I especially like the ability to chose genres and play random tunes. Try that with DNLA.

I'm sure there are better sounding alternatives out there that may or may not offer the same degree of user-friendlyness but I don't want to have to spend money to find out.

Despite being in another price category the Sony HAP-Z1ES looks like it might be the answer. It looks the business and its proprietary software appears to be user friendly as well. My main concern is that it doesn't have any digital outs. If its internal DAC isn't top notch you're screwed.

BobC

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2014, 08:13 pm »
So, has anyone gained experience with the Bluesound line?

I'm interested in the Node, which will replace a SB Touch / CA DACMagic combo I had but sold.  On paper everything looks great, including 24/96 and a snazzy app.  Plus now they offer Spotify support.

So, Bluesound users: As advertised?  Sound good?  Any comments?

Thanks, Bob

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:45 am »
No personal experience, but reviews have generally been quite positive.  Here's one that might be useful that places it in "Class C":

http://www.audiostream.com/content/greatest-bits-network-players-streamers

It might just be audio snobbery, but I wish it had RCA SPDIF output (or better yet USB) vs just Toslink, that always seemed more like a "convenience" interface vs a high quality audio one.  Still : I'd buy one of these over a Sonos any day, but whether it could replace my squeezebox duets is another matter : the SB products are compact, available cheap used (particularly Duets), Logitech media server software works well, the smartphone / tablet app has pretty snappy performance, and with good aftermarket power supplies SB's, can sound damn good as either streams & DACs.  Lot of good things to still be said about SB's. 

BobC

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:21 pm »
Yes, I wish it has a SPDIF out as well....but the way I look at it is this:  If I can tell the difference between SPDIF digital out and Optical....then I must have a really great DAC.  And if I can afford such a DAC, then I'll probably be shopping for a better streamer too (like a Naim, etc).

So the question to those with direct knowledge of the product: how does it sound compared with other $400 - $800 options? e.g. SB Touch + DACMagic or cheap laptop + Bifrost, etc.

If it's equal, then I'd think it's a winner based on reported functions and app.

saeyedoc

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:43 pm »
Make your own SB, old idevice + digital dock + ipeng software, voila!

BobC

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2014, 03:42 pm »
I HAD a SB but sold it.  (maybe should have kept it longer but wanted to simplify things into 1 box + didn't like that Logitech dropped them + they're still worth something)

I just am hoping that someone on this forum has experienced the BS and can confirm the sound quality is as good as advertised.

geowak

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:03 pm »
I still have a SB Classic and I found a guy that created a fix to get Spotify recognized and playing on the device. But I still have switched to three separate Pure I20 docks around the house. I can just place my Iphone 5s where ever Im at and use my phone to stream Spotify. This works great for me. On two of the docks, I have a higher quality DAC running.....to my hifi system.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:26 pm »
Yes, I wish it has a SPDIF out as well....but the way I look at it is this:  If I can tell the difference between SPDIF digital out and Optical....then I must have a really great DAC.  And if I can afford such a DAC, then I'll probably be shopping for a better streamer too (like a Naim, etc).

So the question to those with direct knowledge of the product: how does it sound compared with other $400 - $800 options? e.g. SB Touch + DACMagic or cheap laptop + Bifrost, etc.

If it's equal, then I'd think it's a winner based on reported functions and app.

VS the alternatives you mentioned, I think it would be equal - and a somewhat more user friendly experience.  The Bifrost may be a slight better DAC than the BlueSound, but a cheap laptop even running a good music player program is just too noisy to deliver the best sound. 

BTW - was never a fan of the original DACMagic's : thought they sound dark and dull.  Don't know if the newest ones are substantially better. 

P.s. I'm sure all on this forum has experienced the BS - just not the one your talking about!  :lol: Sorry - couldn't resist.

BobC

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2014, 06:17 pm »
So I've been doing the requisite google searches for "bluesound node review".....

I'm getting really frustrated with posted "reviews" which are really only just product introductions and explainations. 

I get it: new tech needs an explaination.  But where is the "review" part where an experienced person can tell me how it sounds, how well it works and how it compares to similar products?

And I hate the argument that "it comes with a 30 day return policy", implying I can buy it, try it and if I dont like it send it back.  Well, for me, there is a lot of prework needed with my wife before I spend $$$ on gear...so I'm not in the mood for frequent taste-tests.  Plus, IMO this absolves the Reviewer from actually doing their job.

BTW, I feel the print publications are just as bad. 

Am I alone here!?!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:06 pm »
So I've been doing the requisite google searches for "bluesound node review".....

I'm getting really frustrated with posted "reviews" which are really only just product introductions and explainations. 

I get it: new tech needs an explaination.  But where is the "review" part where an experienced person can tell me how it sounds, how well it works and how it compares to similar products?

And I hate the argument that "it comes with a 30 day return policy", implying I can buy it, try it and if I dont like it send it back.  Well, for me, there is a lot of prework needed with my wife before I spend $$$ on gear...so I'm not in the mood for frequent taste-tests.  Plus, IMO this absolves the Reviewer from actually doing their job.

BTW, I feel the print publications are just as bad. 

Am I alone here!?!

I feel ya - some many "reviews" are lifted from press kit info - makes you wonder they've ever even laid hands on what they are reviewing.

I know Michael Lavorgna did a "real" review including describing the sound @ Audiostream / Stereophile :

http://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-node
http://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-vault

I think there was also a review in Sound & Vision, but don't recall if they discussed the sound or just feature set.