Vinylization Party

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:24 pm »
OK, so we've decided on Saturday to settle once and for all which format is better, LP, CD, or dare I say SACD.

Lets start at around 3:00. I'll get some brats and stuff. I'll have soda and the hard stuff, you guys bring some beer if thats your drink of choice.

We can start on my SET rig (2a3, Lowthers, Goodmans subs) just because of its resolution compared to the Big Fun System.

What I've got to use for conducting the experiment is this;

Turntable - Systemdek 2X2 with the Heavyweight mods and a Rega Super Elys cart

Phonostage - Graham Slee Jazz Club

CD-1 - AH! Njoe Tjeob, upsampled

CD-2 - Arcam 8se used as a transport feeding into the AudioNote 2.1 signiture DAC (I think the Systemdek may have met it's match but we'll see)

SACD - I'll try to borrow one from Tim at Best Sound. If not, does anybody have one they can bring?

DACs - Feel free to bring your DAC (or CD), we can set up an easy plug and play switchout. Don't forget to bring extra digital cables or interconnects with your gear. I've got one spare Chris Venhaus digital that isn't broken in yet and I've got about 2-3 spare cu/ag/teflon interconnects.

What I've got in mind is using my NEC AVX-910 as a source switcher. this thing has a remote so we switch sources (including the turntable) without getting up. It can take up to 8 inputs. It's a quality piece of gear that is pretty darned transparent. Besides, whatever it may add to the sound will be added to all of the pieces equally.

Be sure to bring your favorite music on both CD and vinyl if you have it on duplicate formats. I've quite a few that we can use but the more the merrier. Don't worry if your vinyl is dirty, we can give it a quick clean on the cleaning station.

I realize the SET rig doesn't work on all music so we may want to keep open the option of moving to the other end of the room an use the Radii's and Epiphony's (or Ushers,or Dyns). I did pick up a decent turntable for that end of the basement. I bought a demo model from Bill at Response. It's the AudioNote TT-1 with the AudioNote AQ1 cart. The table is identicle to the Systemdek. The cart isn't quite as defined but it does a fine job on Rock.

Ultimately, my turntables are nice but not the last word in resolution or highend-ness. They are moderately priced and pretty typical of what we all have. I personally prefer the sound of a suspended table so if you want to bring out something with a solid plinth, we can set that up too (ie Bob's Nottingham). I suspect the AN 2.1 DAC is going to fair pretty well against the turntable but it should at more than double the price.

I'm really looking forward to this. This should be darned interesting.

Do me a favor and let me know if you are coming so I can get a quick head count for food and stuff. If you need directions again, let me know and I'll zap you an email.

Hey Sturg, the yard is dry :lol:

PS - Hey Mike, if you bring some Neutric's, we could solder up your balanced cables real quick while you're here. You should be able to stop at Guitar Center on Watson road (by Crestwood Mall) and grab 'em there.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:37 pm »
2 things:

I need directions.

Also, I need 2 larger guage wires soldered to a speaker and its x-over.  Could someone do that for me?  My soldering iron just doesn't get hot enough for this. . .

Thanks!

p

steve k

Vinylization Party
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:49 pm »
Hi Scott,
Sorry I can't make this one--I was really looking forward to it. My oldest daughter is having her 16th BD party at the house Saturday. I need to stand guard with a shotgun.  :o I'll be anxious to hear a full report. Take some pics while your at it.
steve

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
2 things:

I need directions.

Also, I need 2 larger guage wires soldered to a speaker and its x-over.  Could someone do that for me?  My soldering iron just doesn't get hot enough for this. . .

Thanks!

p

Bring it on out we can solder anything. If my soldering gun won't get hot enough, I've got a blow torch that will work :o

I'll email you directions this evening after work.

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2004, 06:59 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Hi Scott,
Sorry I can't make this one--I was really looking forward to it. My oldest daughter is having her 16th BD party at the house Saturday. I need to stand guard with a shotgun.  :o I'll be anxious to hear a full report. Take some pics while your at it.
steve

Hiya Steve,

I understand where you're at. Been through two of those already with the third coming up in about 6 mos. I'll be sure and take plenty of picks.

...and NO Paul, I don't have a 22 year old cute daughter
(I've got to find somewhere to hide all her pictures)
(oh...shes got a cast iron chastity belt that only I have the key to. Plus it's electrified and surrounded buy razor wire)

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2004, 07:09 pm »
:lol:

Can't resist this one---->  It's a bit disturbing that YOU have the key. . .

Sorry. . .   :oops:

:rotflmao:

p

steve k

Vinylization Party
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2004, 07:21 pm »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :roll:
This guy's gonna fit in just fine, Scott. :wink:
steve k

G

Re: Vinylization Party
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2004, 07:36 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
OK, so we've decided on Saturday to settle once and for all which format is better, LP, CD, or dare I say SACD.

Lets start at around 3:00. I'll get some brats and stuff. I'll have soda and the hard stuff, you guys bring some beer if thats your drink of choice.

We can start on my SET rig (2a3, Lowthers, Goodmans subs) just because of its resolution compared to the Big Fun System.

What I've got to use for conducting the experiment is this;

Turntable - Systemdek 2X2 with the Heavyweight mods and a ...

I have a couple of CDs I would like to bring. My DAC is not going to be up to snuff for that setup though. Would you PM some directions to me. Keep in mind that I seldom go across the river so the more detail the better.

Marbles

Did someone say...
« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2004, 07:56 pm »
Did someone say vinylization party?

I'm there...do you mind if I bring some guests?

Mike D

Vinylization Party
« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2004, 08:16 pm »
I'll be there.  Scott, could you PM directions to me as well?  

Can I bring a vinyl-fan friend?

mike

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2004, 08:32 pm »
Just talked to Tim at Best Sound, he's loaning us a Sony SACD for the event. Thanks Tim. :D

If anybody has SACD's feel free to bring them.

Paul, you're a sick puppy :lol:  but I did walk right into that one didn't I :oops:
You're right Steve, Paul will fit in just fine  :lol:

Marbles, You're my kinda guy. Need directions?.......please say yes

Mike, absolutely, bring your friend.

I'll email everybody directions later this evening.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2004, 08:55 pm »
So far, I've preferred the redbook layer going through my SN Tube DAC+ on my DSOTM SACD vs. the 2-ch SACD layer.   SOOO, I'll bring it along and we can maybe do similar comparisons w/ a better SACD player.

By the way, everyone, bring as much Pink Floyd vinyl as possible if you truly want to 'vinylize' me.

p

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:57 pm »
By the way, everyone, bring as much Pink Floyd vinyl as possible if you truly want to 'vinylize' me.

No worries, you're coming over to a Floyd Fans house. on the far end of the room I've got a silk poster of the Division Bell hanging plus I've got the 'marching hammers' from The Wall. I've got tons of Floyd on vinyl. Heres the list I can remember

A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Animals
Atom Heart Mother
The Dark Side of the Moon (reg and MoFi)
The Division Bell (maybe by Sat if Joe at Euclid comes threw)
Meddle
Obscured by Clouds
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Ummagumma
The Wall
Wish You Were Here

I'll make sure they are clean for Saturday.

Hey, we're still on the prowl for SACD's. Tim gave me a few 'samplers' to hand out. One of the SACD's has Kind of Blue that we can use but I don't have any of the other music on those discs.

I own exactly one hybrid. It's Gary Burton's Like Minds. I've got the blue vinyl version from Pure Audiophile but I don't have the standard issue CD (the hybrid layer is pretty good though).

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:00 am »
Hey Paul,

What other kind of music are you into?
That way I know what vinyl I need to clean.

Marbles

Vinylization Party
« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:09 am »
Sorry Scott, not this time.  I do have a sister in Ladue, so I'm sure I will get to a St. Louis get together sooner or later.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:15 am »
Sister in Ladue. . .I used to work in Ladue. . .at Schneithorst.  Let us all know if/when you come visit!

Good to see you have Animals. . .that is an intense album. . .full of anger and emotion. . .just GREAT!  OH, 3/5 songs on Meddle blow my mind, too. . .

Other kinds of music:  Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Beatles, Clapton, Nirvana, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and the list goes on.

p

Marbles

Vinylization Party
« Reply #16 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:18 am »
Sister in Ladue. . .I used to work in Ladue. . .at Schneithorst.

If you know where Old Wason Golf Course is, you know where she lives......
There are about 10 houses inside the gates, and hers is one of them.

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #17 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:24 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Sorry Scott, not this time.  I do have a sister in Ladue, so I'm sure I will get to a St. Louis get together sooner or later.

Oh, thats it. Hoard all the women (and whips) for yourself. See how you are :lol:

Next time you make it into town be sure to PM one of us and we'll all have a get-together in your honor :D

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:30 am »
Other kinds of music:  Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Beatles, Clapton, Nirvana, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and the list goes on.

Be sure to bring your CD copy of Nevermind. I've got that on vinyl but not the CD. If I have time I'll stop by Euclid and pick up Radioheads latest. Zepplin and the Beatles I've got covered. Got all of Claptons stuff including Reptile on vinyl (oh I don't have Me and Mr Johnson yet).

steve k

Vinylization Party
« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:37 am »
Scott,
You're welcome to borrow any of my SACD's if you can pick them up.

In rock, I have:
DSOTM
Santana-Abraxas
Rolling Stones-Hot Rocks
Police-Synchronicity
Alice in Chains-Greatest Hits
Blood Sweat and Tears-2nd Album (for the old farts there) :oops:
James Taylor-Hourglass

In jazz:
Brubeck-Time Out
Miles-Kind of Blue, Round About Midnight, Big Fun
Sonny Rollins-Way Out West--GReat Analogue Productions of the  original   tube mic to 2-track tube Ampex deck
O. Peterson/Ray Brown/MIlt Jackson--The Very Tall Band
Ray Brown/Monty Alexander/Russell Malone
Herbie Hancock-Headhunters
Duke Ellington--MOFI Blues in Orbit
Mingus Ah Um
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis ARmstrong--Ella and Louis on Verve
3 MoFi Patricia Barbers---I know you're dying to hear these, Scott  :lol:

Feel free to pick any of these up if it helps. Just give me a call if you're coming by so I make sure somebody's home.
steve k