Vinylization Party

Blackmore

damn,damn,damn
« Reply #20 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:38 am »
I'm playing 5 hours of big band in Hermann on Saturday night.  Benefit for St. George's Elementary at the Festhalle.  My prediction: my live big band job will sound more realistic than vinyl, CD, SACD, 8-track.....
Sorry to miss the fun. :cry:

Scott F.

Re: damn,damn,damn
« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:50 am »
Quote from: Blackmore
I'm playing 5 hours of big band in Hermann on Saturday night.  Benefit for St. George's Elementary at the Festhalle.  My prediction: my live big band job will sound more realistic than vinyl, CD, SACD, 8-track.....
Sorry to miss the fun. :cry:

Dude! You need to let us know when you're playing. I'd love to be there for that one. Do you do a lot of Big Band gigs and when is the next one? How many pieces is the band?

If you guys have never heard a true Big Band live before, you are really missing out.

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:02 am »
Quote from: steve k
Scott,
You're welcome to borrow any of my SACD's if you can pick them up.

In rock, I have........

Cool. Can we borrow

Police-Synchronicity
Blood Sweat and Tears-2nd Album (for the old farts there) :oops: Thats me!
Brubeck-Time Out
Miles-Kind of Blue

Those are the ones I've got on vinyl. Maybe Mike or Gavins got some of the others.

3 MoFi Patricia Barbers---I know you're dying to hear these, Scott   :lol:

Even better yet, got any Diana Krall :o

Maybe we could meet for lunch tomorrow at whats-its-place arcoss from ..... that ...... other .... place... where they keep the ....wild animals .... and things.

steve k

Vinylization Party
« Reply #23 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:20 am »
Oh how I wish I had Diana Krall! :evil: But seriuosly folks, unforunately they're all on CD. I forgot to mention I have Monk's Straight No Chaser on SACD too. I also have Hot Rocks on vinyl you can borrow with the SACD if you want

Sorry, I'd like to do lunch but the Mrs. has my day booked tomorrow. We have the family BD party tomorrow and the teen BD party Saturday so I have two lists. I have to take my daughter shopping tomorrow and lunch. Don't mind the lunch part.  :wink:

CAn you drop by on your way home from work?
steve

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #24 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:28 am »
Sure, that works. I'll give you a buzz. I take Hot Rocks too if you don't mind. I'd have offered my copy but I've had it since it was new. Unfortunately it's seen one too many parties back in the 70's if you know what I mean.

bubba966

Vinylization Party
« Reply #25 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:29 am »
Oh how I wish I had Diana Krall! :evil: But seriuosly folks, unforunately they're all on CD.

:nono: I see a Krall release on LP here... http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/artist.asp?artistcode=000000000004231

steve k

Vinylization Party
« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:39 am »
Bubba,
Leave it to the Japanese!  Actually, I meant all my Krall collection was on CD. Thanks for the tip though.

Scott, I'm not sure my copy of Hot Rocks is much better but you're welcome to it. Wouldn't be surprised if some seeds rolled out when you flip it open :o

Cheers,
Steve

bubba966

Vinylization Party
« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:45 am »
Bubba,
Leave it to the Japanese!  Actually, I meant all my Krall collection was on CD. Thanks for the tip though.

It's not a Japanese pressing, it's a European pressing. But I don't buy much from Europe, so I don't know a better place to look for European vinyl (especially since I've never bought a single thing that was audio only).

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:40 am »
A BIT off topic.

I went to the gas station about an hour ago to get a lighter b/c I had a taste for a cigar w/ a glass of scotch. . .

So, I get my $1.35 lighter. . .get in my car. . .start the car. . .begin pulling out of the gas stations.  I was parked right next to the curb which surrounds the little gas station building.  I turn in front of the station just a WEEEEEEE to tight. . .my back, right-rear tire rubs the curb.  WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. .  . . .all the air in my tire leaked out in less than 20 seconds.  I drive back to my apartment (2 blocks from the station. . .about 1 1/4 block by the time I stop hearing the noise). . .I get a flashlight and find out my sidewall has a nasty 1 1/2" tear in it.  SOOOOO, tomorrow morning I get to enjoy the glory of having my car towed to the local tire shop and probably waiting around for an hour or two to have my tires replaced (if you replace one, gotta replace two). . .nothing like being a couple hours late to work on a Friday when I'm busy as a mutha-fucka.

BTW Scott, when are you going to send me a pic of your daughter???   :rotflmao:

It'll be good to see even more new faces this weekend. . .don't be scared when you ditch your vinyl for a great DAC.   :P

BTW, best $1.35 I've ever spent.
p

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #29 on: 6 Aug 2004, 02:09 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
A BIT off topic.
I went to the gas station about an hour ago to get a lighter b/c I had a taste for a cigar w/ a glass of scotch. . .

Yep, you'll fit in just fine. So what flavor was the stogie? Dominicans are my fav.

WHOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. . . . .all the air in my tire leaked out in less than 20 seconds

That sucks.....like a Hoover.

BTW Scott, when are you going to send me a pic of your daughter???

Ummmm..........how about NEVER!!!! :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:
.....and you can't have pictures of my wife either.
(oh crap, I set myself up again didn't I)

Oh BTW, if anybody has a copy of Rush Vapor Trails on CD, be sure to bring it so we can compare the vinyl version.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #30 on: 6 Aug 2004, 05:39 pm »
The cigar was just an Ashton.  I bought a sampler pack a month or two before I came to STL.  It had like 3-cigars each of like 5 different brands.

As for the scotch, it was just Johnnie Walker Black.  I'm probably going to get a bottle of McCallan 12 year old tonight. . .we'll see.

As for your wife, I got the key to that, so don't worry.   :P

p

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2004, 01:55 am »
Hey Guys,

If you can, be sure to bring your CD's even if they are duplicates of stuff I've got. The way I have this set up is we can literally do an A/B/C/D on the fly with the remote. If we have enough duplicates we can even compare CD players.

This is going to be an eye opening experience  :o

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2004, 10:37 pm »
Crap. . .I noticed on the post it said Saturday.   On your directions, it said see you Sunday.  Ummmm. . .if it is today, I obviously missed it. . .if it is tomorrow, which I thought it was, I can make it.

I hope I didn't miss it!!!!!

p

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #33 on: 8 Aug 2004, 02:12 am »
I've got a REALLLLY embarassing story about today. . .I'll explain later.  It involves the meeting. . .

p

Scott F.

Vinylization Party
« Reply #34 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:30 am »
Crap. . .I noticed on the post it said Saturday.   On your directions, it said see you Sunday.  Ummmm. . .if it is today, I obviously missed it. . .if it is tomorrow, which I thought it was, I can make it.

I hope I didn't miss it!!!!!

p

It was today. You missed it!

Sorry about the Sunday reference in the email. I dug out the email from the last get-together at my place which (unfortunately) was on Sunday and sent it rather than typing a new email. I should have checked it.

Tell you what, we unanimously decided that vinyl flat smoked CD's 10 out of 10 times and 9 out of 10 times with SACD in your absence.

You all missed a good time. I'll post a few picks and some details tomorrow.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #35 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:46 am »
BUT, you didn't hear CDs through my SN Tube Dac +  :P

Anyways, just wait until you hear my embarassing story. . .it'll definitely make everyone laugh. . .I'll post later.

p

DeadFish

Vinylization Party
« Reply #36 on: 8 Aug 2004, 03:46 pm »
I like embarassing stories.
Unfortunately, they are usually about me.  :wink:
So this should be good!  :D

Glad y'all had a good time; just sorry I couldn't make it either.

Regards,
DF

G

Vinylization Party
« Reply #37 on: 8 Aug 2004, 04:02 pm »
BUT, you didn't hear CDs through my SN Tube Dac +  :P

Anyways, just wait until you hear my embarassing story. . .it'll definitely make everyone laugh. . .I'll post later.

p

No offense P but the CD player was playing through a $4000 Audio Note NOS DAC and it was no contest. I liked the SACD better on one comparison. The vinyl wins in my book anyway. The only problem I have with vinyl is that getting a good setup in prohibitively expensive. Not to mention the fact that I have no place to put a TT. At the moment anyway  :wink:.

pjchappy

Vinylization Party
« Reply #38 on: 8 Aug 2004, 04:47 pm »
OK,

SOOOOO, I head out west towards the meeting yesterday.  I arrived at the 'meeting' a little before five.  

I notice there are only a couple cars in the driveway. . .so, I think to myself, am I a day early?  I then read the directions I printed out to see what it said. . . in the closing, it says "See you all Sunday."  SOOOO, I'm thinking, holy shit, I AM a day early.  Then, I turn around and leave, being WAAAAYYYYY to embarassed to go up to the door and say, "hey, I'm a day early, nice to meet you," etc.

Well, I come back home, check the website, and notice that the post said the meeting WAS on Saturday. . .ok, so, now I was DOUBLY embarassed.   :oops:  :oops:

It was a nice 70-mile round trip, though.  I stopped off at Lowes, got some spray adhesive, and other stuff.  I put up my 4" wedge foam. . .WOW!  When I'm listening, I put additional foam around my TV and on the floor leaning against my equipment and other places.  I already have Eigth Nerve room-treatments. . .holy shit did the foam make a SIGNIFICANT improvement.  My system has never sounded even as close as good as it does now.  I listened to 4 CDs straight. . .it was just fantastic!

By the way, G, read some comments on this post re the SN Tube Dac: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2778&start=0   :D

So mad I missed the meeting!

p

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Vinylization Party
« Reply #39 on: 8 Aug 2004, 05:02 pm »
You guys might try an email group list as the NY Audio Rave does. No mistakes this way...contact PhilNYC or JoshK...if you need details....it works well for us in NY !!