Looking for St Louis Foreplay owner.

G

« on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:19 pm »
Hi All. I'm new to this board and I had no idea there was a board for St Louis area audio nuts. I'm trying to find a Foreplay owner that might condsider a bribe of cold beer and homemade spaghetti in exchange for allowing me to listen to a foreplay on my system (Fostex Full Rangers & SE EL34 amp). I'm thinking about building a Foreplay but I would like to hear one on my system first. Any takers?

pjchappy

« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:50 pm »
I used to have one.

Steve K. does have one. . . .

BTW, I work in Belleville. . .

p

G

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:58 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
I used to have one.

Steve K. does have one. . . .

BTW, I work in Belleville. . .

p

Cool. So a GAS meeting on this side of the river wouldn't be out of the question for you anyway. You own one of those Scott Nixon TubeDacs don't you? That is in my plans as soon as I finish my preamp and baffle correction filters for my speakers. I have heard they are great sounding DACs. I, like you, prefer CDs although I have eyeballed the BIX turntable from Bottlehead a few times. Maybe Vinyl is in my distant future :o. If you are willing I would love to hear that DAC on my system  8) .

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:21 am »
Hi Gavin,
Welcome to the GAS gang. Two of us have Foreplays. Sturgus has a stock one and I have a modded one, with Sweet Whispers, Anticipation, Auricap output caps and Bugle Boy tubes. Maybe we can get together so you can hear both versions. Sturg, you up for that?
steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2004, 01:12 am »
Hey, Gavin!
Welcome!
You've fallen in with the right crowd if you have an interest in tubes.  :)
I run totally SS, but my interest is piqued, even if I have no experience.
I'd be more than happy to hear the shootout myself, having the urge to hear what a little tubiness could do for my Bryston gear.
BTW, hailing from Collinsville here, so you and Mike aren't alone on this side of 'de riba'.  :wink:

Regards,
DF

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2004, 01:28 am »
Hiya G!!

Welcome aboard!!!

You Have Mail.

I'll be sending everybody an email so you can add Gavin to your GAS email list.

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2004, 01:50 am »
Oh Wait!!!!

New Guy!!! New Guy!!!!

He's got to host the next get together (it's an initiation thing, trust me).

Lets see, the last gathering had steak and lobster (the big tails not the weenie ones), shrimp cocktails as an appetizer and bottles of Dom and 20 year old single malt Scotch. Oh, I almost forgot, fine Dominican cigars and a good double cutter for desert.

Hey Steve, didn't you have valet parking and man servants to carry in our gear? I sort of remember that for some reason.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Hey guys, think he'll bite?

Blackmore

New Guy
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:48 am »
And, as I recall, speakers were built just for the occasion and door prizes were awarded.  :wink:

G

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:11 am »
Quote from: steve k
Hi Gavin,
Welcome to the GAS gang. Two of us have Foreplays. Sturgus has a stock one and I have a modded one, with Sweet Whispers, Anticipation, Auricap output caps and Bugle Boy tubes. Maybe we can get together so you can hear both versions. Sturg, you up for that?
steve k

That would be great!! I have a really cool idea about how to build one but it will cost about $400 and that's a lot of money to spend on a project that you might not like when it's done. Just Let me know when you are up for it (This weekend! Hint. Hint.) and it is ON! I have kind of a strange work schedule but I have the entire weekend off for the next two weekends.

G

Re: New Guy
« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:13 am »
Quote from: Blackmore
And, as I recall, speakers were built just for the occasion and door prizes were awarded.  :wink:

Is your nose growing?  :nono:  :nono:  :lol:  :lol:

G

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:15 am »
Quote from: Scott F.
Oh Wait!!!!

New Guy!!! New Guy!!!!

He's got to host the next get together (it's an initiation thing, trust me).

Lets see, the last gathering had steak and lobster (the big tails not the weenie ones), shrimp cocktails as an appetizer and bottles of Dom and 20 year old single malt Scotch. Oh, I almost forgot, fine Dominican cigars and a good double cutter for desert.

Hey Steve, didn't you have valet parking and man servants to carry in our gear? I sort of remember that for some reason.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Hey guys, think he'll bite?

I can't gaurantee lobster but some smoked beef and other assorted home cooked goodies can be arranged! :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

G

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:47 am »
Quote from: DeadFish
Hey, Gavin!
Welcome!
You've fallen in with the right crowd if you have an interest in tubes.  :)
I run totally SS, but my interest is piqued, even if I have no experience.
I'd be more than happy to hear the shootout myself, having the urge to hear what a little tubiness could do for my Bryston gear.
BTW, hailing from Collinsville here, so you and Mike aren't alone on this side of 'de riba'.  :wink:

Regards,
DF

Thanks Fish. Tubes might sound a little too rich for you if you are used to the neutrality of Bryston but you never know. You might be another convert. You are more than welcome to drop by and give it a listen.

steve k

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:25 pm »
Oh yeah, speakers were built and we set them on fire at the end of the session and smashed up our equipment.  :mrgreen: Sunday's my only free day this weekend. I'll see if I can round up Sturgus.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:31 pm »
Quote from: G
Thanks Fish. Tubes might sound a little too rich for you if you are used to the neutrality of Bryston but you never know. You might be another convert. You are more than welcome to drop by and give it a listen.

Hiya G,

Actually Bill has a pair of Altec A19's. Your EL34 (6CA4's?) SET's would sound great in front of them. I've been meaning to make it over to Bills with an integrated 300b to show him the majic of an SET with Altecs.

Hey Bill, maybe we need think about a date to get together.

Oh, Mark (blackmore) was serious. He custom built speakers and gave away door prizes at our last get together (seriously). There were only three of us there but we had a great time. Heres the link, you'll get a kick out of the speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=341

Mark, Steve, Sturgus.....The Eagles STILL suck. I finally found that Etta James CD.

G

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Oh yeah, speakers were built and we set them on fire at the end of the session and smashed up our equipment.  :mrgreen: Sunday's my only free day this weekend. I'll see if I can round up Sturgus.
steve

That would be great. I mean about you coming over Sunday. Not the speaker smashing thing :nono:  :o. If Scott sent you my address and phone# give me a call and we will set something up if possible.

G

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:25 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Hiya G,

Actually Bill has a pair of Altec A19's. Your EL34 (6CA4's?) SET's would sound great in front of them. I've been meaning to make it over to Bills with an integrated 300b to show him the majic of an SET with Altecs.

Hey Bill, maybe we need think about a date to get together.

Oh, Mark (blackmore) was serious. He custom built speakers and gave away door prizes at our last get together (seriously). There were only three of us there but we had a great time. Heres the link, you'll get a kick out  ...

We would definately have to listen to the Altecs somewhere with a larger listening room than mine. I don't think they would fit in my room. I would love to hear my SE EL34 (6CA7) through a pair of Altecs!

What did you have to do to win door prizes. Or should I be afraid to ask :).

DeadFish

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2004, 10:42 pm »
Oh yeah Gavin, I'm a convert. :D
I just haven't mustered up the courage and cash, knowledge and direction, and the willingness to give up the SS rig I've enjoyed so much.
Well, actually, the cash has been a big thing... :wink:
If you have a room smaller than 13' square, then you got an excuse, but the Altec 19's are like 140lbs each, and big bricks and kinda fill MY room as well.  
And yes Scott, I really DO want to get together to see what can be done to exhibit them in the manner to which they would like to become accustomed.  :)
By all means, if someone with the room to which these suckers might fit and blossom, I'll try and tote them ONCE, if the DeadFishMobile can handle the trip.  Y'all gotta promise though to come pick me up if it don't.
Well, come pick up the speakers, I'll walk if I have to... :wink:
Heck, I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze a Foreplay listen, a vinyl shootout, a POSSIBLE Classic/poker nite...and now Rick Craig brought up the option of joining in the 'tour' of his SA-1's (if y'all are interested, hint, hint...}
AH heck, my wife was getting sick of me anyways...
Y'all 'scuss it 'mounst yerselves, and I'll check the calendar.
I'd be happy to host anybody who wants to come over here, though I must admit embarassment to the serious lack of room..
HOWever, if some folk would want to play poker and some wanted to switch gear and play deejay, the next room over is the same size with a round table in the middle of it... an accomodating arch joins them, so its not too much like separate rooms.  Just a thought...and I don't get many of those...

Regards,
DF

G

« Reply #17 on: 4 Aug 2004, 11:02 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish
Oh yeah Gavin, I'm a convert. :D
I just haven't mustered up the courage and cash, knowledge and direction, and the willingness to give up the SS rig I've enjoyed so much.
Well, actually, the cash has been a big thing... :wink:
If you have a room smaller than 13' square, then you got an excuse, but the Altec 19's are like 140lbs each, and big bricks and kinda fill MY room as well.  
And yes Scott, I really DO want to get together to see what can be done to exhibit them in the manner to which they would ...

Hi Fish,

With Will and me around you have no excuse not to build a tube amp. Using SS equipment with Altecs is against the law isn't it? As far as cash goes I have a pair of output transformers and some caps for the PSU I can let you have. They are collecting dust. You can also get a nice old Magnavox PP 6V6 amp off Ebay cheap. One of those and some new caps and you are off to see the wizard! Just let me know. We have the technology!

G

« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2004, 11:28 pm »
Here you go Fish:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73369&item=5712842152&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

No bids yet! This little 6V6 amp will make you smile.

sturgus

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:54 am »
Hey G
Welcome to fold. We love music, gear, and beer. Not necessarily in that order. I would love to do a session but it would have to be in the evening.
I can do any time on a fri. Hope we can make something happen.
Sturgus