Looking for St Louis Foreplay owner.

Scott F.

« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:57 am »
Hey Bill,

Along with Gavins output transformers and caps, I'll throw in an old RCA theatre amp that has been sitting here gathering dust. It's a PP 6L6 that uses 6SN7's as driver tubes and a 5x rectifier tube.

This amp is a little weird in the fact that it has two different output transformers. They used to build a stereo amp (or sorts) on a single chassis, then they would take one channel and drive the woofer and the other channel and drive the multicell horn/tweeter, hence the different output tranformers. The power transformer is monsterous on this thing. The chassis could stand a new coat of paint. You could reuse most all of the original internals (except the caps) and mount Gavins output trnsformers.

I've got a couple 6L6 schematics that you could use to rebuild the amp if you wanted to update the design. Depending on the output transformers Gavin has, the 6L6 amp could be designed to take EL34's, 6CA7's, and KT88's too.

This thing would need a decent pair of RCA's, binding posts and a handfull of other relatively inexpensive parts. You'd have to some work but it might be a fun project. Remember, a 6L6 isn't just a guitar amp. Conrad Johnson, MacIntosh and several other guys based some really high end gear around the 6L6 tube.

Might be a good way to get your tube am on the cheap.

G

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2004, 10:52 am »
Quote from: sturgus
Hey G
Welcome to fold. We love music, gear, and beer. Not necessarily in that order. I would love to do a session but it would have to be in the evening.
I can do any time on a fri. Hope we can make something happen.
Sturgus

I'm home at 4 PM this Friday if that is good for you. I appreciate it. Do you have the modded Foreplay? I checked out your system. Impressive.

G

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2004, 11:14 am »
Quote from: Scott F.
Hey Bill,

Along with Gavins output transformers and caps, I'll throw in an old RCA theatre amp that has been sitting here gathering dust. It's a PP 6L6 that uses 6SN7's as driver tubes and a 5x rectifier tube.

This amp is a little weird in the fact that it has two different output transformers. They used to build a stereo amp (or sorts) on a single chassis, then they would take one channel and drive the woofer and the other channel and drive the multicell horn/tweeter, hence the different output tran ...

Actually I have PP output transformers too.

steve k

« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2004, 01:46 pm »
Hi Gavin,
How about next Friday evening, August 13? Sturgus and I can both make that time and you can hear both stock and modded Foreplays?
steve k.

G

« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2004, 03:08 pm »
Quote from: steve k
Hi Gavin,
How about next Friday evening, August 13? Sturgus and I can both make that time and you can hear both stock and modded Foreplays?
steve k.

That sounds good to me Steve. Gives the wife more time to prepare for guests. She is such a social butterfly don't ya know. Anyone else who wants to come is welcome but I need to get an accurate headcount so if you would like to drop by next Friday evening PM me with the name of your type of beer and I'll send directions. I am psyched.

pjchappy

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2004, 05:34 pm »
Hey, I'm looking for St. Louis Foreplay. . .how about THIS Friday? Anyone have any fine female relatives or friends 21-28?    :lol:

p

steve k

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2004, 12:42 am »
Gavin,
I checked with Sturgus and we're on for Friday the 13th. Sounds evil don't it! :nono:
PM me the directions.
Tell the wife not to fret. We're guys, ya know--messy is OK!

Paul, I think you have way too much spare time on your hands at your new job. I'm gonna have a talk with your boss about that! :mrgreen:

steve k

G

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:48 am »
Gavin,
I checked with Sturgus and we're on for Friday the 13th. Sounds evil don't it! :nono:
PM me the directions.
Tell the wife not to fret. We're guys, ya know--messy is OK!

Paul, I think you have way too much spare time on your hands at your new job. I'm gonna have a talk with your boss about that! :mrgreen:

steve k

Are you both On the Illinois side of the river? Let me know where you are coming from and I'll PM you each some directions.

pjchappy

« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:52 am »
Don't think you were addressing me, but, I live in STL--Soulard.

p

steve k

« Reply #29 on: 6 Aug 2004, 04:10 am »
Sorry bout that. Yeah, we'll be coming across the Popular St. Bridge--I assume to 64 to 157 or 159?
steve

DeadFish

« Reply #30 on: 6 Aug 2004, 01:23 pm »
I'm gonna try and make it G, if my work schedule stays the same, but it is rather dynamic and prone to change.
I'm coming from Colonville (!) on either 159 or 157; whichever works.
Work from there, I guess.
DF

bmed

« Reply #31 on: 6 Aug 2004, 02:34 pm »
Hi Gavin,

I've been away since this thread.  Welcome!  I'm in Springfield, IL.  It's nice to get some more people on this side of the river.  I hate being this far away.  I haven't made a GAS meeting since late winter/early spring.  

I run Fostex fullrangers as well.  Nice to see someone elso appreciating the Fostex.

Cheers,

Brad

G

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2004, 03:09 pm »
Quote from: bmed
Hi Gavin,

I've been away since this thread.  Welcome!  I'm in Springfield, IL.  It's nice to get some more people on this side of the river.  I hate being this far away.  I haven't made a GAS meeting since late winter/early spring.  

I run Fostex fullrangers as well.  Nice to see someone elso appreciating the Fostex.

Cheers,

Brad

Hi Brad,

I run the politically incorrect version of the Full Rangers. The infamous FE206E BR version. I like them though. Just need to get rid of that midrange hump with the filters. I hope you can come down sometime.

bmed

« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2004, 12:40 am »
I am running FF 165K's in a voight pipe.  They can get a little congested, but I like them in my small room.  I've got a professional woodworking friend who, when done with some current projects, is going to help me with a backloaded horn design that I will use with Fostex drivers.  That might be this winter though.  You really need to hear Scott's Lowthers/Goodmans---can you say dynamics.    :o  

Have you tried yours with SET?  Everyone talks about the marriage of SET + fullrange.  I've tried and found that I like to extra dynamic punch from PP.  I'm still gathering info/plans/parts for an attempt at a DIY SET myself.

cheers,

Brad

drummerwill

« Reply #34 on: 7 Aug 2004, 02:44 am »
Did someone say " beer " ?
    G pm me with directions I might make it too!
    Willie

G

« Reply #35 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:00 am »
Quote from: bmed
I am running FF 165K's in a voight pipe.  They can get a little congested, but I like them in my small room.  I've got a professional woodworking friend who, when done with some current projects, is going to help me with a backloaded horn design that I will use with Fostex drivers.  That might be this winter though.  You really need to hear Scott's Lowthers/Goodmans---can you say dynamics.    :o  

Have you tried yours with SET?  Everyone talks about the marriage of SET + fullrange.  I've tried and ...

I have my boxes tuned to about 50Hz and I use a M&K sub with a SE EL34 amp. I like the midrange but I'm thinking of using a pair of Fostex F90A tweeters to extend the top a little. I have to wait and see what the filters accomplish.

G

« Reply #36 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:05 am »
Quote from: drummerwill
Did someone say " beer " ?
    G pm me with directions I might make it too!
    Willie

Will do. Welcome!

G

« Reply #37 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:07 am »
Sorry bout that. Yeah, we'll be coming across the Popular St. Bridge--I assume to 64 to 157 or 159?
steve

Well it sounds like you know something about Belleville. OK.

G

« Reply #38 on: 7 Aug 2004, 02:13 pm »
I sent directions to my house to everyone this morning. Pm me and let me know for sure who is coming when you know for sure. I'll see some of you this afternoon at Scotts. Cheers.

steve k

« Reply #39 on: 7 Aug 2004, 03:32 pm »
Well it sounds like you know something about Belleville. OK

I designed your newest fire station so I got over there quite a bit back then.
steve k