7's to 9's?

JackD201

Re: 7's to 9's?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:29 am »
I was kiddin' but only because our AC standard is 230v!  :green:

fplanner2000

« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2013, 04:31 am »
Are the power cords hard-wired or can you use whatever you want?

JackD201

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2013, 06:23 am »
Power cords aren't captive so, yes, you can use whatever you like on 9s Harve. I just used some old Shunyata Pythons I've had from way back. I couldn't really hear any difference between those and the supplied power cords but hey, fat PCs on big speakers just look cool!  :lol:

Delacroix

« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:45 pm »
Hum, interesting choices ahead Harve. I saw a pair of 7s recently on A'gon that seemed incredibly underpriced and was tempted to go for them myself except I have my 5s back at VSA HQ for upgrading to the Anni II spec.  Anyhow, they did not last long so my temptation was removed. Having been in your room, I think you could make the 9s work with some care but the 100s would probably slot in easier. That said, I am most intrigued by the guy coming to set up your room -- if he's as good as he sounds, I'll be intrigued to know what he actually does and how you like the results. Do keep us posted!

fplanner2000

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2013, 07:13 pm »
Will Do, Patrick. 

I don't want the 100s - they don't have enough bass and I don't want to have to rely on outlying subs for the bass.  Also would require me to reconfigure my living room to accommodate the bass units and their proper placement.  Not going to happen, even if they were FREE!!

I know what I would be getting with the 9's and they are a much better fit for the many different types of music I like to listen to.

The speaker technique is called "Master-set" and they will be here in about 45 mins.  I taped the floor where the current setup is just to see how much of a difference the "after" makes. I believe the process was developed as a joint effort between Sumiko and Vienna Acoustics.  Guess we'll see shortly...... :D

kernelbob

« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2013, 11:21 pm »
Harve,
I'm sure the 9's will sound spectacular in your installation.  I remember a photo with the 9's next to an image of a diesel locomotive that I thought best captured the sense of power that system can deliver.  I'm also curious to see the results of your system/room calibration and look forward to your updates.

Regarding the 100's bass.  The subwoofers are designed to be placed at the back of the listening room and aren't so much to provide more bass but to neutralize room nodes.  I've heard the 100's without the subs and I they weren't bass shy to my ears.  The separate subs allow fine tuning of their placement, not being fixed in the towers, which is a feature I like.

Lots of room for different system choices.  I'm glad you've found that the 9's fit in so well.

fplanner2000

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2013, 11:56 pm »
The tuning guys have left.  Rod started out by telling me that my speakers were already set up better than any other speakers he had seen.  He also said he didn't see $800. worth of good he could do to what I already had.  He played a number of his own cds and then told me there was a stridency coming out of one of the speakers and that was because the speakers were not level left to right.  Both were off a bit, causing the imaging to be slightly off as well.

I had them correct this, which took a while since they had to experiment to find the best way to do this SAFELY.  He then toed them in about 1/2 inch more than they had been.
The result - stridency gone, which was noticeable, and the imaging improved, also noticeable.  In fact, the results were even better than any of us, including Rod, expected.  I had my buddy Duane there as well, and he confirmed the noticeable improvements as well.  The sound is smoother and more musical at the same time.  Rod compares it to ironing a shirt, saying he just removed the "wrinkles" in the sound.  Very apt analogy, I think.  He said to listen to my own music over the next several days, and if I hear a significant improvement, to send him $400.

The check is already written.  I couldn't believe that such minor adjustments could make such a large difference in what I was hearing, but they did. :thumb:  Money well spent.
P.S. - Duane booked Rod et al for a visit to his place before they left. :D

Delacroix

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2013, 01:31 am »
Harve -- excellent info, thanks. For those interested, the Master Set approach is outlined in the speaker placement sticky (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103601.0). No small feat to perform this with the 7s.

fplanner2000

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:30 am »
We actually got better results than I thought we would.  I had Rod read up on the 9's today and he agreed to help set them up when/if I get them.  He is so looking forward to it, I may have to charge him!! :D  He said, based only upon what he read, that he would consider the 9's a big upgrade over my 7's and really liked the tremendous adjustability.  He also said the switching power supply would make the subs lightening quick, so that I would have considerably deeper, stronger and faster bass with the 9's than the 7's, confirming what I had concluded as well.  Now its just a question of timing, getting the funds together and selling my Mk2 7's..... :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2013, 08:35 am »
I've personally experienced the 450 Statement/VR-9Mk2 pairing. You're in for a treat Harve ol' boy. Jim got his 450s back for IQ treatment and the improvements are clear as day.

DEV

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm »
I've personally experienced the 450 Statement/VR-9Mk2 pairing. You're in for a treat Harve ol' boy. Jim got his 450s back for IQ treatment and the improvements are clear as day.

Hi Jack, I'm sure that combo sounds really awesome and will sound spectacular in your system fplanner2000.  :thumb: 

Not to side track this thread but now you are also mentioning this IQ treatment and saying the improvements are clear as day - can you elaborate because it's just not adding up for me sonically speaking.

We are talking about adding a soft start up and auto-bias in comparison -

I spoke with a friend whom had this done mainly because he was having issues on initial start-up and blowing a fuse - said all is good now and not blowing fuses anymore but really isn't hearing any major improvements - said he does hear a slight difference though.

P.S. On another note of importance - How are things progressing in your country - message to people if not already put out is to stay strong! Help is there on the ground - The largest problem I'm hearing is it's just so darn hard to get to locations due to all the debris -

I'm personally aware of endless Canadian's including myself are donating to assist and our government is matching donations dollar for dollar and Canada has deployed numerous to assist including "DART"

Has sent a mammoth Canadian C-17 Globemaster, C-17 can carry up to 170,000 pounds of cargo, compared to 40,000 pounds of cargo for a Hercules and can get places much quicker - troops were also deployed. 

What is DART? "Disaster Assistance Response Team" has doctors and other medical personnel as well as engineers, signallers and labourers. It is equipped with communications gear, medical equipment, portable water purification plants, as well as building supplies.

fplanner2000

« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2013, 03:24 pm »
DEV-  As I think I've already suggested to you weeks ago, just read the white paper on the new auto-bias circuitry contained in the VAC website and you will get your answers.

Jack-  I'm starting to salivate..... :D

JackD201

« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hi David! The biggest difference I heard was in the sense of continuity. Man, not that that is lacking in any way with the pre-IQ's sound. It's one of it's greatest strengths already. Transitions from the very soft to the not so soft, hardest to get right and is usually the stomping ground of single ended triodes. With that comes the consistency of the portrayed size of the recorded venue whether actual or contrived. There's a consistency to size and shape. Extremely rare to find that with KT variant tubes which to my ears always seem to have a residual glassiness that masks these transitions and hinders consistent air. It's as if the power tubes are always tracking the drivers exactly. Heck I don't know it's hard to explain. I did hear them out of the box and then later with lotsa hours on them so maybe your buddy just needs some more run in time. Sorry to derail this into a VAC 450 thing guys. Anyway, drool Harve, drool. You's gonna be getting VSA's OWN custom teflon caps, yes I've seen 'em and have pics of both the Mk2's mother and daughter board XOs but am sworn to never, ever post them. You will have to go through the 400 hour burn in roller coaster but the wait will be worth it. Promise.

fplanner2000

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2013, 04:25 pm »
Thanks Jack!  I wouldn't ask you to post what you've agreed not to, but I'm pretty sure AVS would be OK with me seeing them in a PM, since I've already done the bypass caps myself on the 7's and will open up the 9's to look anyhow. So, easier to save drain bramage to send, if you're so inclined.  Its really got me curious... :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:15 pm »
Mah lips and mah outbox are sealed my friend. I'll tell you this though. The XOs of the Mk1s and those of the Mk2 look nothing alike. There are small value caps in there that I have not seen in any catalog, ever. Where AVS sources these as well as his VSA caps I have no idea.

fplanner2000

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2013, 07:19 pm »
No problem - we are talking right now.

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2013, 08:14 pm »
 :)

David you got PM re: PS

fplanner2000

« Reply #37 on: 16 Nov 2013, 02:13 pm »
Looks like a pair of 9's is in my pretty soon future. :D  Thanks for your help guys. :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #38 on: 16 Nov 2013, 02:58 pm »
What color are you going for Harve?  :green:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2013, 03:11 pm »
..make mine gloss black!  Oh baby would I LOVE to see the millwrights moving a pair of these babies down the steps!  :thumb:  But alas healthcare premiums to pay..  :lol: