7's to 9's?

DEV

Re: 7's to 9's?
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2013, 03:21 pm »
Looks like a pair of 9's is in my pretty soon future. :D  Thanks for your help guys. :thumb:

Congrats! I'm sure you will have even a larger  :D on your face.

I read the info on the Vac IQ - what was the time frame from sending in to receiving back?

Any news yet on your ETA of the Statement pre - as you know that's one that is really peaked my interest.

Jack did your brother pull the trigger and place an order for the SPre along with the Statement phono stage. I'm currently not aware of anyone with either of these pces.

Delacroix

« Reply #41 on: 16 Nov 2013, 03:32 pm »
What color are you going for Harve?  :green:

You can always rely on us to help others spend their money ;)

fplanner2000

« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2013, 04:23 pm »
Thanks again guys.

Jack- going for a "champagnesque" color- top 2 contenders so far are Lexus Satin Cashmere Metallic and BMW Orion Silver Metallic

Dev- Kevin had my amps about 11 weeks.  New Statement preamps look like they will be out in about a month.  My new preamp requirements stopped being so pressing when I heard my updated 450's.  the sound is now truly special.  I backed the preamp up to next spring/early summer.  Again, I'll probably still get it, but its no longer as high a priority for my system as I thought it was before.

Patrick-  I can actually use all the help I can get!!  Color comments might actually be helpful :thumb:

fplanner2000

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2013, 08:15 pm »
I went to the Lexus dealer and the satin cashmere beige color looked very nice.  It is a little lighter and less bronze than in the picture and should look great on the 9's. :D

Delacroix

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2013, 09:13 pm »
I am partial to deep red as a speaker color myself but if money's no object, how about a pair with classic goldtop tones inspired by a vintage Les Paul...yes sir!!!

fplanner2000

« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2013, 09:58 pm »
Patrick - You are obviously confusing me with Jack re:"money is no object". :nono:  The color I picked will look very good in my current room and any other room I put them in in the future.

JackD201

« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2013, 12:12 am »
Hey! Don't let the good folks around here think I don't do a lot of fplanning myself to get this stuff Harve! That and waiting on very cool hand me downs!  :icon_lol:

I like those color choices. Ranger Rover's sand is nice too.

David, Jim's thinking hard about it. Very hard. I hope his does pull the trigger because that means I can babysit one of his EMT 66s. Problem is, the VAC Statement Pre and Phonos use the same tubes and that means I'll need to get more Telefunken 803s than I have on standby.

IN the meantime with my room under renovation and my UNi 3s sold, I'm in limbo. I just ordered a pair of gloss black Unifield 3 Mk2s. Bit the bullet and am paying a bit extra to have the front baffle in gloss too since I never ever use the grills.  Albert says he's having new stands made. I bet they'd look great chromed. That would be real purdy beside the Kronzillas which have a chromed top plate.

fplanner2000

« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:25 am »
Jack- I'm using Seimens in my preamp - have you compared them to Telefunken?  What does your tube do to the sound?

JackD201

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:17 am »
The EMT comes stock with JJ Teslas. I'm not sure what Kevin ships his units with. Almost all manufacturers I know of ship units out with new production tubes for obvious reasons. I like Telefunken 800 series because by and large, I've found them to be quietest, have a neutral tonal balance and excel at the micro stuff. I have Siemens CCas but my experience with Siemens is limited to the 6dj8 family. They are some of my favorites and share many similarities with Tele CCas. For my power amps, I gravitate towards Valvo and Navy spec Amperex tubes to "fill out" all the speed provided in the front of the chain. All Telefunken can make me feel like I've had 9 shots of espresso at gunpoint. LOL. Too each his own as they say, this is just my preferred way of mixing and matching. Stock sounds great on both Lamm and VAC but having the option to go back and forth to really fine tune to ones liking is a wonderful thing. The beauty of it is you can always go back to stock whenever you like. :)

fplanner2000

« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:30 am »
Thanks Jack.

fplanner2000

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2013, 02:56 am »

DEV

« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:44 am »
http://www.lexus.com/lexusConfigApp/pub/media?id=118578823 is the color for my 9's

Very nice! Congrats!  :thumb: I have yet to see a speaker in that colour.

fplanner2000

« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:55 am »
Albert told me they've never built in champagne either.  He said that when they had a few in gray and lit them with yellow lights at shows, they might almost "appear' that color, but really weren't.  I'm tired of black, and silver just doesn't quite do it for me either.  This "satin cashmere metallic" looks great on the cars and I'm sure will look equally nice on the 9's.  One of the neat features is that the shadings change depending upon your viewing angle, which is pretty cool.  Guess I'm still a kid at heart!!! :D

P.S. - Albert also likes the color and thinks it will look great.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:40 pm »
..so after reading this thread are we to surmise that it isn't really ALL about the music after all?  :scratch: :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2013, 04:18 pm »
Means to an end my friend, means to an end......  :lol:

fplanner2000

« Reply #55 on: 17 Nov 2013, 05:55 pm »
Gavin-

It really about the total experience, of which the music plays a large part. :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 17 Nov 2013, 07:01 pm »
I can't help but laugh when some hopelessly anal audiophile spends mega bandwidth and mega dollars on stuff that adds nothing to the musical experience yet still insists it's all about the music  :duh:  Don't misunderstand, I am as guilty as the next guy when it comes to the aesthetic.  We are on crazy lot!   :wink:

fplanner2000

« Reply #57 on: 17 Nov 2013, 07:45 pm »
I'm not sure whether or not I've just been insulted.  If so, take it back.  If not, never mind. 

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:20 am »
Harve I would never insult a fellow VSA owner :nono:

fplanner2000

« Reply #59 on: 18 Nov 2013, 03:26 am »
I agree - it would be a silly thing to do.