The Village

Ears

The Village
« on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:33 pm »
I am not going to give anything away other than you very well might hate this movie.
Worst movie I have seen in a while, and nothing like its portrayed in the advertisments.
After seeing it, I do not even reccomend it as a future rental...its that bad imo.

wshuff

The Village
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:35 pm »
You know, now you have me interested.  Actually, I was interested after seeing the previews, but reading this doesn't deter me.  I now want to see how bad it really is.  Kinda like Gigli.  I still haven't even found that one, yet, but I want to see it.

My all-time worst movie list starts with Wild Wild West.  I want to see if this one makes the list too.

kgturner

The Village
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:16 pm »
i agree with ears. this is by far the worst movie i have seen in a long time. i am never watching another movie written by m. night again.

kevin t

duff138

The Village
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:16 pm »
I enjoy it very much.

TheeeChosenOne

The Village
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:30 pm »
My wife and I enjoyed it very much.  Lots of people even applauded in the theater when the movie finished, so I assume I wasn't the only one who liked it.  :D

This is one of those movies you either love or hate.  The ending will decide which camp you fall in (typical with all M Night movies).

M Night is a good Director and knows how to involve you even if the story ultimately sucks at the end.  I rolled my eyes with "Signs", was lukewarm with "Unbreakeable" and liked "Sixth Sense," as long as I overlooked the gaping holes in the movie.

jgubman

The Village
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2004, 05:12 pm »
I hated it also, and thought this movie had as much, if not more, gaping holes than any of his previous movies. I don't want to spoil the movie, but my god, I was sitting there at about the 15 minute mark thinking, "I really hope the big twist ending isn't ____".

I was very disappointed when the "twist" was revealed and my fears were confirmed.

I liked all of his previous movies, and thought this was easily the weakest of his movies, very very boring.

Andrikos

The Village
« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2004, 06:33 pm »
Typical director with a good first movie (he honed it for years) and a yearly string of REALLY bad movies that were ordered by Hollywood because he's such a "gifted" director.
He's not that gifted, he had one good movie in him and that was it.
Enough already, retire Mr. M. Night Shamalyan.
You had your overly loooooooong and boring run.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The Village
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2004, 12:40 am »
I dunno- I though Unbreakable was much better than 6th Sense.  I've not seen Signs, but I just got back from The Village, and I didn't think it was too bad.  A bit of a letdown, but not awful.

JasonW

The aliens are what REALLY made me mad...
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2004, 02:10 am »
I too guessed the twist at the end, but I didn't find the movie all that bad.  In fact, I enjoyed it a great deal.  There were some holes in it that I was a wee bit unclear about, but I thought it provided a good, if not overly simplistic/stereotypical, comment on human nature.

My main problem with the movie were the aliens.  I mean, the movie lost me once they appeared.  I could have done without the spacecraft...

Jason

wshuff

The Village
« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:42 am »
Well, if there are aliens, I at least hope that this time they put on clothes that could protect them from that deadly water.

westcoast

The Village
« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:36 pm »
My son and I saw The Village, and again I was disappointed with Night's effort.  I did like the job done by Adrian Brody, though.  

I thought The Sixth Sense really was spooky and gripping.  I keep thinking that Night has so much more to offer his audiences, but I've been disappointed with everything after.  He and his producers seem to have the marketing machine, though.  Check out the worldwide gross on his efforts - his movies do make money  :wink:

wshuff

The Village
« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:52 pm »
I went to see it last week, and found it completely forgettable.  My wife had it all figured pretty quickly, and I ended up outguessing myself, looking for twists and turns that never came.  Not very satisfying at all.

I can't put it on my list of all-time worst, though, because most of those were so bad that the very badness made them fascinating in some way.  I mean, Showgirls just got a new DVD celebrating the very fact that it sucked.  Some bad movies lend themselves to MST3000-type review.  But not this one.  It is so mediocre that there's nothing to really see.  It's like the footage edited out of a bass fishing show.

wshuff

The Village
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2004, 08:20 pm »
I forgot to mention that there was at least one bright spot to seeing The Village.  They showed the teaser for next year's new Batman movie.  Now that got my attention, and was the most exciting thing I saw during the whole two hours I was in the theater.

SteveRB

The Village
« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2004, 12:24 am »
has anyone else noticed how mmmnight compare himself to alfred hitchcock. its almost like he considers hitchcock as one of his peers.  hitchcock made ingenius thrillers and expiremented with the entire scope of cinema as an experience and an art form.  

at best, mmmnight might be able to direct a half hour episode of alfred hitchcock presents or maybe a forgetable tales from the crypt. that seems to be what all his movies are, elongated twilightzone-esque short stories wich rely solely on one 'twist' to 'shock' the now grawgy audiance.

"i see dead people" - "don't let them in"  -  "don't do in the woods"  ... "please use another suspense device..." and give the marketing bitz a rest. i'd love to see his next crapfest  sink terrably (worse than say waterworld) maybe than his ego might deflate enough to cause him to disapear

westcoast

The Village
« Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2004, 12:26 pm »
Come on, sTEVEN, don't hold back, express an opinion!  :lol:   Not sure I disagree with you, though.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
The Village
« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:06 pm »
Wow do we get polarized about this guy's movies!

I've enjoyed all of them including 'The Village'.  I think the love story helps hold the thing together.

I attend movies to be entertained and NOT to outguess anyone.

BTW, my worst-movies list includes 'Thelma and Louise' and 'Goodfellas'.  There are a couple more I've walked out from but can't remember which they are.

Andrikos

The Village
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 2004, 10:27 pm »
Quote from: jeffreybehr
Wow do we get polarized about this guy's movies!

I've enjoyed all of them including 'The Village'.  I think the love story helps hold the thing together.

I attend movies to be entertained and NOT to outguess anyone.

BTW, my worst-movies list includes 'Thelma and Louise' and 'Goodfellas'.  There are a couple more I've walked out from but can't remember which they are.

Goodfellas????????????? Really?
Wow, that helps me put everything else in perspective...

JasonW

The Village
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2004, 11:04 pm »
Yeah, goodfellows?? That is an odd choice for worst movie...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
The Village
« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2004, 06:24 am »
'Goodfellas' had NO ONE in it I cared a bit about.  Those people had NO redeeming social value.  Same for T&L after the 2 women went plumb stupid--I couldn't have possibly cared less what happened to them.

gongos

The Village
« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2004, 09:50 am »
A major point of Goodfellas is to tell a story of morally reprehensible people. A job it does extremely well. How can great acting, score, music, direction, pacing, etc, etc, etc effectivly used to tell a story and show a side of society exactly as intended in a movie be called the worst ever? Do good/great movies require people you happen to care about? Even if you don't care about someone you can still understand/sympathize with their situation. Examples of great movies full of unsavory people: Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Eraserhead, Election, Rififi, The Wages of Fear, etc, etc, etc...