The Village

ctviggen

The Village
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2004, 10:55 am »
I like Thelma and Goodfellas, although I can't say I'd watch them too often.  I've watched plenty of movies that I thought were terrible, and most of them were on the Top 10 Lists.  There was one about two lesbian teens in New Zealand who kill one of the teen's mom.  It was on multiple Top 10 lists for that year, and I hated it.  But perhaps I'd like it if I watches hundreds of movies a year and saw what tripe most of them are.

azryan

The Village
« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:00 am »
Quote from: ctviggen
There was one about two lesbian teens in New Zealand who kill one of the teen's mom.

'Heavenly Creatures'. Based on a true story too. Kate Winslett was in it and directed by some dude who I think did some weird flicks about hobbits or sumithin' that I heard were decent. heh

'Goodfellas' is one of the best films of all time IMO. Outstanding epic story, outstanding acting talent, direction, cinemetography. Really EVERY aspect a film can be judged which makes it a 10 in my book.

The best film Scorsese made too... and he's made a few other decent ones. heh

To call it the worst goes beyond 'everyone gets their own opinion'. Or at least that's my opinion.

As for the thread subject...

I'm of the opinion that M.Night is a total hack who had one idea -that he keeps reusing.
The idea of adding a 'twist' which he stole from Hitchcock as was kinda mentioned already here.

A. Hitchcock Presents was one of my Fav. shows as a kid! Man, I with they'd show it on cable again!

Typically ending with a twist, then another twist, and then usually another twist after that! Something M. Night's never even attempted to pull off.

Shocking too that the astoundingly dumb 'Signs' was his biggest hit??

What's wrong with people's brains? Are they actually able to shut them off when looking at 2D moving pictures -like hypnosis or sumthin'??

After seeing the preview for the Village on tv ONE time I instantly guessed what happened in it and emailed a good friend who saw it and he told me I was exactly right and not to bother seeing it.

That's f'in' SAD.

Too bad too 'cuz his films 'look' good at least.

He's got two more films in the works as of now so we're not rid of him yet I guess.

jgubman

The Village
« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:38 am »
I really liked unbreakable and thought it was his best film; great acting, nice cinematography, good score, great mood.

Unbreakable was really more of character development piece than a build-up for a twist end movie though. I was really hoping mNight would make a follow-up to unbreakable, as I felt he invested way too much time developing the character to just drop it.

Oh well, I agree that the rest of his movies are all turds.

Czilla9000

The Village
« Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:46 am »
I don't think many of you guys get the point of his movies. They are supposed to make you think...not entertain you. I liked the film.

SteveRB

The Village
« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2004, 04:05 pm »
"supposed to make you think" :!:  :?:  :?:  :!:  :!:  :?:   i believe that the 3-4 page thread the movie started is proof enough that it made a few people think...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The Village
« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2004, 04:39 pm »
The Village made me think Night has run out of ideas. :wink:

Andrikos

The Village
« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2004, 11:57 pm »
Quote from: Czilla9000
I don't think many of you guys get the point of his movies. They are supposed to make you think...not entertain you. I liked the film.

I think a LOT.
I think every single waking moment of my life and most of my sleeping ones too.
I think therefore I know M Night's movies SUCK!  

If you sit there intoxicated or just plain dumb and just "look" at the screen, then M Night's movies might be good...

Sorry I'm so outspoken about this but I just don't get it.
Just like religion...

azryan

The Village
« Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2004, 12:33 am »
I'll 2nd that.

SteveRB

The Village
« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2004, 08:03 pm »
"i just don't get it." ...nothing to get.  pointless and surface level.[/quote]

ctviggen

The Village
« Reply #29 on: 22 Aug 2004, 08:19 pm »
Oh yeah, Heavenly Creatures.  I thought that movie was horrible, even though the director did go onto direct Lord of the Rings (which I do like, although I've met other people who hated it).  To put my viewing into perspective, I loved The Matrix (seen it at least 10 times), but hated the second one enough that I haven't seen the third one.  I loved the first Star Wars and thought the second and third were good, but the fourth was terrible and the fifth was only marginally better than the fourth.

azryan

The Village
« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2004, 02:09 am »
hehe... I think I totally agree with you about all those movies.
Didn't think Heav. Crea. was that bad though but nothing outstanding.

And hey... P. Jackson also did 'Meet the Feebles' so not like everything he touched was 'gold'. hehe

I think he's doing a 'King Kong' remake next which even if it's done really well I doubt I'll LOVE it.

You're one of the few people I've seen who see that the first S.W. trilogy wasn't three films of perfection too.

The first was awesome and very self contained, but easily open to 'more stuff' so they made a solid sequal which came a little short of wrapping up with a real ending sucking people into 'having' to see the 3rd which had a decent intro and then filled out the rest with stuffed animals and rehash of things they've already done.

The accidental 'near-incest' is kinda funny though. Shows he was 'wingin' it' after the first film (who's plot was copped from Kurosawa' 'Hidden Fortress'.

Don't get me started on these new sequels.  hehe

The Force will come out tomorrow Annie!! hehe

You might wanna see the last Matrix for the sake of the artwork in it -though the story/ending will piss you off for it's multi layers of stupidity.

I heard those freak bros. are doing a 'Plastic Man' film next. I assume it'll make more sense than the Matrix sequels.