Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

almandog

Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine
« on: 31 Oct 2013, 04:51 pm »
Hello,

I have been cleaning records for a while using various methods: Nitty Gritty machines, Spin Clean, in the sink, steam cleaning, and regular wipe the records. I always get pops and clicks nothing seems to stop them. I know if the record is damaged you can't do anything about the clicks and pops. So I am thinking of trying out the Ultrasonic cleaning method. I am looking at the Klaudio Ultrasonic machine and would like to know if anyone here on the "Circle" got one and would like to share their opinion with me.

Thank you.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:30 pm »
Read this previous thread on Ultrasonic RCM.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118286.0

I will add that ultrasonic cleaning (via Audio Desk for me) definitely reduces pops and ticks that regular vacuum RCMs (VPI 16.5 and Typhoon for me) don't.  Record cleaning with brushing and/or vacuum is a must for any record, new or old.  You definitely get quieter sound with clean record.  But after having Audio Desk along with VPI Typhoon for a couple of weeks now,  I don't think I can do without ultrasonic cleaning.  It really reduces pops and ticks.  At the same time I still want a regular one too.  I probably won't keep the Typhoon but I still want a 16.5 or something similar to attack the mold and grime on used records.  My thought is that they complement each other as they address different aspect of cleaning.  I don't want to stick a really grimy and even slightly mildewy record directly in Audio Desk.  I would clean it first (by hand or with an RCM) with detergent and/or fungicide and then do the ultrasound. 

As far as which ultrasonic cleaner to go, I chose Audio Desk over the other two.  The big tub with multi-disk cleaning was much cheaper but I didn't like the drying rack thing.  I wasn't willing to wait for the water to dry before playing a record.  KL Audio product looked good and definitely well built.  It's got a stronger ultrasonic generator than Audio Desk.  But in the end, I went with a proven Audio Desk over "unproven" KL Audio.  Plus, I was able to get a much better deal for the show demo unit with Audio Desk folks.  :wink:

I definitely recommend an ultrasonic cleaner.  You have to make your own decision which ultrasonic cleaner to get including the DIY path. 

Good luck.
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2013, 03:24 pm by woodsyi »

almandog

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2013, 02:56 am »
Thank you..
I already order the Klaudio.  I will be providing feedback when I get it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:01 am »
Thank you..
I already order the Klaudio.  I will be providing feedback when I get it.

Please report back. Too few reviews of the KI unit.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2013, 03:19 pm »
I echo what Woodsyi said. I've used a VPI 17 and Loricraft PRC 4 and bought the Audio Desk. It works great and is a definite improvement over the vacuum models. Like Woodsyi, I kept the Loricraft for really dirty used records to pre clean. The audio desk does remove pops and ticks.

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2013, 10:56 am »
I echo what Woodsyi said. I've used a VPI 17 and Loricraft PRC 4 and bought the Audio Desk. It works great and is a definite improvement over the vacuum models. Like Woodsyi, I kept the Loricraft for really dirty used records to pre clean. The audio desk does remove pops and ticks.

Laura

Me too!

Paul

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2013, 08:14 pm »
I just got my Audio Desk cleaner and I am very happy with it. Occasionally when I pull the record out there is still some moisture on the record at about 3 o'clock, near the rubber strips. Do others get this too?  Are there any ways to to adjust things to avoid this?  Should I just let it dry?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2013, 09:09 pm »
On occasion, I find a few drops of moisture left on the record. It is rare and usually occurs if I slightly overfill the machine or if I leave a cleaned record in the machine for too long after cleaning. I use a soft cloth and pat the moisture to dry the record.

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2013, 09:20 pm »
Thanks. That seems like a good approach.

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:51 pm »
I just got my Audio Desk cleaner and I am very happy with it. Occasionally when I pull the record out there is still some moisture on the record at about 3 o'clock, near the rubber strips. Do others get this too?  Are there any ways to to adjust things to avoid this?  Should I just let it dry?

First, some days of cleaning are better than others. No other way I can describe it. Some days the records are completely dry, other days there will be a spot or two or three on successive records. I blot the occasional water drop dry. Doesn't bother me much.

Second, you can take a coffee stirrer straw, cut it longitudinally down the middle, and squeeze it into the space where the white rubber strips slip into the machine case. This puts a little extra oomph into the squeegee effect.

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm »

As Laura said, don't leave the record in the machine. Some kinda humidity thing develops and you'll have to clean the record again. (Like pushing a button is a big deal…)

Also, I bought a big box of NERL Reagent water and have read that it is super pure, better than the Aquafina that Mikey Fremer recommends. Now I'm freaking out that somehow, someway, inexorably the water might be so pure that it's harsh and it's gonna ruin the internals of the machine. So after the next batch of 100 records I just may go back to reverse osmosis water. You just can't win with this hobby! :icon_lol:

Paul

dminches

« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2013, 11:39 pm »
First, some days of cleaning are better than others. No other way I can describe it. Some days the records are completely dry, other days there will be a spot or two or three on successive records. I blot the occasional water drop dry. Doesn't bother me much.

That describes it very well.

What is the best thing to use to blog? No don't want to leave lint or other stuff behind.

Also, I thought distilled water is best. Is that not true?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2013, 11:57 pm »
That describes it very well.

What is the best thing to use to blog? No don't want to leave lint or other stuff behind.

Also, I thought distilled water is best. Is that not true?

According to Robert Stein the importer, the machine and cleaning fluid were designed for use with distilled water. I talked to Robert about this because I was using a deionized pure water from Culligan. He advised against it and explained the possible problems down the road with super pure water, especially with any metal parts. I now use distilled water.

Laura

dminches

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:43 pm »
I picked up a microfiber cloth which I am going to use to dab any residual water.

vortrex

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:57 pm »
I got the KL unit last week.  I don't think I am hearing the miracles that the professional reviewers are hearing, but it's quite possible I am not that sophisticated.  I seem to hear more improvements after cleaning my better condition (new) stuff.  I do hear less surface noise overall on both used and new.  One thing is for certain, this is an incredibly well built machine and so easy to use.  I gave up on my VPI cleaner almost right away because it was such a chore to operate.  I probably cleaned 100 records in the first week by simply dropping one in every time I walked by or thought about it.  I really like the fact that there are no maintenance items to think about and the only fluid is distilled water.  It's odd how the records do not even look like they need to be dried after going through the wash cycle.  I run it at the lowest dry time of 2 min and they have always come out perfect.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2013, 11:11 pm »

Also, I bought a big box of NERL Reagent water and have read that it is super pure, better than the Aquafina that Mikey Fremer recommends. Now I'm freaking out that somehow, someway, inexorably the water might be so pure that it's harsh and it's gonna ruin the internals of the machine. So after the next batch of 100 records I just may go back to reverse osmosis water. You just can't win with this hobby! :icon_lol:

Paul

Paul,

according to Robert Stein at Ultra Systems, Reagent water can damage the machine. Ultra pure water can be corrosive and will attack metal parts. Also, the cleaning fluid is designed for distilled water. He said Aquafina will work too. I have stopped using deionized water and now use distilled. I use the deionized as a rinse if I use the Loricraft.

Laura