Current network music player recommendation?

brj

Current network music player recommendation?
« on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:01 am »
Hi all.

I have a modded Squeezebox Touch with external power supply happily awaiting the resurrection of my main rig, but I'm looking for a new streamer to use as part of an inexpensive system elsewhere in the house.  With the demise of the SB series, has a new favorite audiophile streamer arisen?

From the reading I've done already, it appears that the market has split into two sections - the quite inexpensive media player type (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) and the more involved and expensive network player type with integrated DAC (Cambridge Audio, Pioneer, etc.).  I'm really only interested in music, and my plan is to feed either a compact stereo receiver of some kind, an integrated amp with external DAC, or power-DAC.  The smaller the component count in this scenario, the better, even though I realize that I'll lose some flexibility.

(If the DAC needs to be built into something, I was leaning toward the receiver/amp/powerDAC rather than the streamer, but I guess it really doesn't matter.  Either way, DACs seem to be changing fast enough that it will be the first aspect of even a second system to fall by the wayside.)

Features that I'd like to see, though some are more about future proofing than current need:
  • Wired and wireless Ethernet (no Bluetooth dongles)
  • Digital output via coax and TOSLink
  • Support for as many hi-res formats as possible
  • Compatible with either Logitech Media Server or Plex (or any Synology NAS compatible media server that can make use of an existing music folder)
  • Control via my iPhone
  • Relatively compact, so that it can be hidden away
  • gapless playback
  • Support for ALAC and AIFF formats

Again, this is for a second system, so I'd like this to stay relatively inexpensive, and I'm perfectly content to consider used options as long as they aren't verging on the obsolete.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2013, 06:12 am by brj »

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Re: Current network music player recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:55 pm »
For me, the SB devices still seem to be the best solution though used prices have gotten crazy, especially for the Touch. The ease of setup and use has been a big plus for the non-technical user I share my life with. That said, I also have a dedicated W8-based player running JRiver in my main rig, along with a SB Touch for my casual listening and WAF.

Not sure what you consider "relatively inexpensive" but I've been eye-balling the Sonore sMS-100 Mini Server. $450 wired only and headless, but meets all your other requirements. Offers a battery powered supply option. May be too pricey for a second system.

http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html

There is a thread about some people using PogoPlugs as an SB player, but it requires some setup.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:33 pm »
Interesting device, Krikor - thanks!

I'd prefer one that has a coax and Toslink output as well as USB, but it's still worth considering, depending on what I find for the DAC/pre-amp/amp component. It'd work with something like a decco65, for example.  (Not that I've heard one.)

geowak

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2013, 04:22 pm »
Source is Mog thru Roku via TV or Pure I-20 dock with Iphone 5. Played through Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber and Parasound Halo pre and amp.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 08:45 pm by geowak »

brj

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2013, 07:10 pm »
I'm sorry, but how do either of those access music stored on a NAS?

The only means that I've found that would seem to align with your setup is to set up a "channel" on the Roku that points to a Plex media server on the NAS, but from the reading that I've done so far, this seems to have been problematic for many.  (Perhaps it's more effective now.)

Have you done this, and have you compared the Roku to other network music players?

Thanks!

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:39 pm »
Oops, just realized the sonore thingy does not have tos or coax.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2013, 08:44 pm »
I have two systems. On one I simply play CDs or stream music via MOG. On the other I use Pure Music with Itunes and all music is stored on two separate external HD's. But I would imagine a NAS system would work better. The source, in this case, is a Macbook Pro via a Parasound preamp. I use to use Airfoil as a wireless app/option from computer to my Apple Airport extreme, but it tends to have drop outs in the music.

JEaton

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2013, 09:24 pm »
When you already have Squeezebox Server (LMS) running on your network, it doesn't make much sense to me to pursue a player that requires some other type of streaming server, even if it's using UPnP/DLNA.

Running Squeezelite on a small, inexpensive ARM based system is the most immediate solution. If you buy a dual or quad-core Wandboard today, you can then upgrade the audio hardware portion some time next year when the Community Squeezebox Project is ready.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:35 pm »
I built up a Pogoplug as an LMS compatible player.  I use a usb-spdif converter to feed a digital signal to my receiver.  Under $50 including shipping and the required usb stick.

A steep learning curve to get the relevant LINUX OS loaded up on the Pogo, but lots of friendly help from folks here on AC and at the Vortexbox forum.

brj

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:52 pm »
mcgsxr, thanks for the link to Pogoplug.  I haven't looked at those, though I'm quite familiar with Linux and have actually toyed with the idea of a Raspberry Pi device just as an excuse to play with one, but for a second system, I really do want to reduce the clutter... the fewer boxes and cables the better.  Perhaps when I get around to building a garage system...   (The desire for a single box solution that still uses coax is so that I at least have the option of hooking up an older DAC without USB support.)

Quote from: geowak
I have two systems. On one I simply play CDs or stream music via MOG. On the other I use Pure Music with Itunes and all music is stored on two separate external HD's. But I would imagine a NAS system would work better. The source, in this case, is a Macbook Pro via a Parasound preamp. I use to use Airfoil as a wireless app/option from computer to my Apple Airport extreme, but it tends to have drop outs in the music.

Ok, thanks.  Unfortunately, neither of those address the question I originally asked.  Synology's DSM 4.3 does have an "iTunes server", but it can't run on its own - you'd still have to have a Mac actively running on the network somewhere, which I'm not interested in doing.  Similarly, I don't want my iPhone to be the actual source - just a convenient means of selecting music from within my previously ripped library on whatever network player I pursue.  Sorry if this was unclear.

Quote from: JEaton
When you already have Squeezebox Server (LMS) running on your network, it doesn't make much sense to me to pursue a player that requires some other type of streaming server, even if it's using UPnP/DLNA.

Please note that I'm using "server" in the software sense, such that multiple servers can run on the same hardware at once.  I already have a NAS running 24/7 to serve all of the data needs in my house.  It currently runs Logitech Media Center to serve my existing Squeezebox.  It is more than capable of running additional servers as well, should there be need, of which Plex looks to be the most popular and capable.  Both would point to the same storage folder full of music on the NAS.  (Plex supports DLNA devices, as does the Synology native music server, which is yet a third option that I could point to the existing music folder, should I want it.)

Thanks!

JEaton

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2013, 11:00 pm »
Please note that I'm using "server" in the software sense, such that multiple servers can run on the same hardware at once.  I already have a NAS running 24/7 to serve all of the data needs in my house.  It currently runs Logitech Media Center to serve my existing Squeezebox.  It is more than capable of running additional servers as well, should there be need, of which Plex looks to be the most popular and capable.  Both would point to the same storage folder full of music on the NAS.  (Plex supports DLNA devices, as does the Synology native music server, which is yet a third option that I could point to the existing music folder, should I want it.)

I was also referring to software servers. Why run two servers to support two different types of device? Or deal with two different user interfaces on the devices. I just don't understand that.

brj

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2013, 11:10 pm »
Quote from: JEaton
I was also referring to software servers. Why run two servers to support two different types of device? Or deal with two different user interfaces on the devices. I just don't understand that.

Because it dramatically narrows my options for network music players.

In general, I like tinkering and wouldn't object to building a replacement per your suggestion, but at the moment, I already have more audio projects going than I can handle.  (I haven't had a working system since February as it is!)  I'm looking for something that I can just purchase, plug in and start enjoying in a second system, and if running a second server on my NAS allows me to choose from a larger array of hardware options, then I'm ok with that.

Thanks.

brj

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2013, 06:16 am »
I added gapless playback and ALAC/AIFF support to my requirements.  Until reading some reviews of current network players, it didn't even occur to me that they might not be able to handle this when my 3 year old SB Touch handles it just fine.  Ahhh.... progress!