Flac2Dac

FOUND: KEF LS50s
« on: 27 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm »
Thanks
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2013, 02:57 am by Flac2Dac »

roscoeiii

Re: WTB: KEF LS50s
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2013, 06:46 pm »
Great sounding speakers. Good luck in your search.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2013, 07:42 pm »
They're sweet little speakers. I have a set. Not letting go of them either. :nono:
I believe KEF stopped manufacturing them last month as they truly are a special/limited edition, hence the reason Amazon started selling them on Sept 27th.......to sell off the rest of the stock.
I've seen fewer of them on the used market over the past month or so.
Good luck with your search. I'm sure someone will eventually let a pair go.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2013, 08:45 pm »
Are you sure that they are no longer being manufactured? They are still available from KEF Direct. Not sure why they would want to discontinue such an incredibly well-reviewed speaker.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm »
Are you sure that they are no longer being manufactured? They are still available from KEF Direct. Not sure why they would want to discontinue such an incredibly well-reviewed speaker.

Pretty positive I read that Sept was the cut off, which corresponds with the availability of them thru Amazon on Sept 27th. I mean, why would KEF do this when they didn't even give all KEF dealers the authorization to sell the LS50? They don't need to use Amazon. This leads me to believe it was done to help sell remaining stock. And of course they're still available from KEF. They likely have warehouses with stock they need to sell. Again, they are the 50th anniversary special edition speaker. They are limited production. They wouldn't be so special if they continued production far beyond the anniversary time frame. Anyway, this probably isn't the place to discuss this, but hopefully is still helpful info to Flac2 or anyone else thinking about getting LS50's.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:25 am »
^^ Thanks guys; although you've put me in a slight panic...lol. For a while there...these speakers were in abundance, used. Made me think, they must not be resonating with users actually. IDK what it was; but the reviews are over-the-charts good...and the fans, are true fanatics.

Maybe some who bought, are just not in tune...as to what to expect from British monitors? In any case...RDavidson is right; they're not as common as they were. I do have a line on some low-hour demos, and even new; at an ever-so-slight discount. But I was hoping to score a gently used pair, for around $1k.

Am I dreaming?

Sense63

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:29 am »
I had a pair of the LS50's and they do sound wonderful for their size.  One thing to mention is they need to be used in a small room to get the best out of them.  Unfortunately, I have a fairly good size room and they just get "lost" and lose some of their magic.  Just my 2 cents.......

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2013, 02:54 am »
I'd like to see a link confirming the end of their availability...

RDavidson

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:34 am »
^^ Thanks guys; although you've put me in a slight panic...lol. For a while there...these speakers were in abundance, used. Made me think, they must not be resonating with users actually. IDK what it was; but the reviews are over-the-charts good...and the fans, are true fanatics.

Maybe some who bought, are just not in tune...as to what to expect from British monitors? In any case...RDavidson is right; they're not as common as they were. I do have a line on some low-hour demos, and even new; at an ever-so-slight discount. But I was hoping to score a gently used pair, for around $1k.

Am I dreaming?

No. You're not dreaming. I bought mine very gently used (look and sound mint) for $1050 shipped. You have to be ready to jump as soon as you come across that price though. Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why people would want to sell their LS50's as long as expectations are in line (and they're set up in the proper space  :thumb:). They're fantastic, but the laws of physics still apply. They are surprisingly big and full sounding. For their size, price, and things they do so well, they're a steal gift if you ask me.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:46 am »
I'd like to see a link confirming the end of their availability...

No such thing exists that I can find. Searching the web will uncover mixed info. I'm just putting together things I've read and correlating it with things I was told by a couple of KEF dealers when I was shopping for mine. I found a very interesting correlation between what one of the dealers told me and Amazon's availability of the LS50's occurring on Sept 27th. I am not trying to construe my info as 100% fact as there's no way I can do that. I don't work for KEF. Only they know what the true plans are. My intent is to just share what I have personally gathered, so anyone tossing around the thought of getting a set doesn't miss a window that may indeed be closing. Historically, whenever a product is truly a special edition, this usually means limited production. Limited production could mean 100,000 pairs or it could mean 1,000,000 pairs. Regardless, production will end eventually if it hasn't stopped yet. Fair enough?

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2013, 04:13 am »
Good to know. You may have seen that much misinformation had been circulated about the future of Soundsmith that was totally incorrect. Due to assumptions that were unfounded. So hopefully we can get a definitive answer to this claim that production is ceasing.

RDavidson

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2013, 04:45 am »
Here's some decent info on Head-Fi. Read the thread a bit. Apparently some UK dealers received their last shipments of LS50's in September. This info may not be absolute fact, but is perhaps worth considering.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646016/does-anyone-have-experience-with-the-kef-ls50/90

wagnju

RDavidson

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:20 pm »
Site looks very sketchy to me, but apparently they sell stuff on Audiogon, so perhaps my initial reaction is unwarranted. Great price on the speakers. Too bad they don't have actual pics.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2013, 10:16 pm »
Site looks very sketchy to me, but apparently they sell stuff on Audiogon, so perhaps my initial reaction is unwarranted. Great price on the speakers. Too bad they don't have actual pics.

It is sketchy. I won't go into detail; but some Google-ing, and a little bit of knowledge about who they used to be...because it was in my backyard...is enough for me to stay away.

So...still looking, for that elusive $1-1100 pair!

Flac2Dac

« Reply #15 on: 3 Nov 2013, 02:57 am »
CLOSED/CAPTURED  :D

RDavidson

Re: FOUND: KEF LS50s
« Reply #16 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:59 am »
Nice! :thumb:

bdp24

Re: FOUND: KEF LS50s
« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2013, 06:00 am »
The LS50 is still available. It's the 50th Anniversary version of the LS50 that was Limited Edition.

guildenstern

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2013, 06:25 am »
CLOSED/CAPTURED  :D

Now that you have the speakers, what do you think of them? What are you using to drive them? You have experience with lots of equipment, so your impressions will be of great interest. Thanks in advance.

Flac2Dac

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2013, 02:54 pm »
Now that you have the speakers, what do you think of them? What are you using to drive them? You have experience with lots of equipment, so your impressions will be of great interest. Thanks in advance.

LOL; yes, I am a churner, when it comes to kit. As for speakers...just as a point of reference...I went through the entire Dynaudio stand-mount line (Focus 140s, Contour S1.4s, Special 25s, and Confidence C1 Signatures); before falling hard, for the "British" sound. It started with Harbeth...of which I still have 7ES-3s...and extended to PMC (still have FB1i).

So...the KEF LS-50s? I love them; but they won't be for everyone. When I refer to the "British" sound...here is the distinction I make. Many speakers, accentuate the extremes; big bass, and high highs. It's a pretty "exciting" sound...for a while; but then I find it can be a bit "fatiguing". British speakers, like Harbeth, Spendor...and these KEFs to an extent; focus more on the middle. It can take some getting used to. When you come from the "other", you might think of these speakers as "dull", or "rolled-off"; some say they have no bass, and no highs.

For me...once you get passed expectations, and perhaps what you're used to; you might come to realize, just how "natural" and "musical" they sound...and that you can listen for hours, and really just focus on the music rather than analyzing the kit. Again...that's my take; and I don't expect everyone would feel the same way. So...for the LS-50s; if you're already accustomed to the "British" sound...and like it. No reason to think you won't dig these. In addition to being pure in the middle...they do have some punch (with the right gear...more on that in a moment), and some sparkle in the top-end. I think, it's as good a $1500 speaker as you'll find.

Right now, I'm driving mine with a Rega Brio-R (this is my Office rig). It's a nice enough combo (and I love the Brio-R in and of itself)...but I actually happen to think, the LS-50s need a bit more juice. It's sensitivity is low (85db/1m); and it just feels like they're begging to be pushed...lol. I've read some great reviews, of these matching up well with Wyred's new gear. If these were in my Main room...and they're definitely "good enough" to hold their own; I'd put a pair of mAMP monos on these bad-boys! As it is...in my Office system...I probably have my eye on an mINT in the near future.