FOUND: KEF LS50s

guildenstern

Re: FOUND: KEF LS50s
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2013, 10:53 pm »
Thanks, Flac, I knew you'd have excellent insights. In your Harbeth-owning days, did you own the P3esr monitors? If so, and if audio memory serves, how would you compare them to the LS50s? I own and like the little Harbeths, but all this enthusiasm for the KEFs has piqued my audio curiosity...

Flac2Dac

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2013, 12:13 am »
Thanks, Flac, I knew you'd have excellent insights. In your Harbeth-owning days, did you own the P3esr monitors? If so, and if audio memory serves, how would you compare them to the LS50s? I own and like the little Harbeths, but all this enthusiasm for the KEFs has piqued my audio curiosity...

I did own P-3s; in fact, it was P-3s that got me interested in Harbeth to begin with. As I said before...I was a tried and true Dynaudio man to that point; and had the $8500 Confidence C1 Signatures in my Main rig. I tried P-3s for my Office system, and I was like "WOW"!

I liked them so much...I sort of started listening more in the Office, than in my Main room :o I actually moved them into that room...because I had a sense they could still fill it (my Main room is pretty small...like 13x11); and they did, nicely. But...P-3s just don't have much bass. So I tried the 7ES-3s, and the rest as they say, is history.

As for P-3s vs. LS-50s; I would say it comes down to what music you listen to most. P-3s have that warm, woody...full, rich middle; even more-so than the KEFs. So...if you listen mostly to Jazz, Folk, Acoustic, Vocals; I'd say stay put, and enjoy. If you miss the P-3s, being able to keep up on Rock, or overwhelmed by complex passages; the LS-50s might be a good compromise. They're not quite as magical in the middle...but they do have more punch.

The other thing I'd keep in mind, is I think the P-3s are easier to drive. As I eluded to...I think the LS-50s need some juice, to sound their best. Hope that helps.

guildenstern

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2013, 01:20 am »
Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks for the precise descriptions. I think I'll just keep enjoying the P3s and maybe come round to the LS50s later -- such as, perhaps, when you want to try something new -- if you're ever ready to sell yours, give me a shout! (We've also corresponded on Audiogon, under different user names, where mine is jhold.) Happy holidays, and thanks again!