Bris-Vegas Aksa Spectacular!

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
« on: 30 Jul 2004, 08:48 am »
Hey Blue-Sky and rookster and any other Brissy dwellers how about a get together one night the week after next to bring together the collective goodies for a listen?

I am happy to host at my place or equally happy to travel. I would be particularly interested in hearing the Aksonics coupled with my newly beloved amp. I have a reasonable CD player I can bring along and a couple of Quad speakers if interested besides that I can only offer my tin ears, tainted opinions, a few CD's and plentiful scotch supply.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Matt

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:06 am »
Did I just smell the word Scotch? Gimme gimme gimme.... :mrgreen:

Ah to live near other Aksa Owners, I'm still trying to convince my friends the effort is worthwhile, heathens the lot of them.

Nick.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:50 am »
Nick,

Heathens are never a problem, it's the barbarians which worry me.......

Cheers,

Hugh

obiwan

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:36 pm »
Matt,

I'd love to take you up on your offer. I'd love to hear the AKSA amps. Only problem is that I grew impatient with myself trying to decide what amp to get, so I just went and ordered a Bel Canto eVo2i (sorry Hugh). It should arrive on Monday. But if the AKSA is significantly better, well I'd be prepared to sell the new Bel Canto and try the AKSA.

I could bring along an Arcam FMJ CD33 CD player and Dynaudio Special 25 loudspeakers. Hell I could bring the Bel Canto too.

If you get any other bites let me know. Happy to attend.

Trevor

obiwan

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:36 pm »
posted twice, this is my attempt to delete the duplicate message

MattCassidy

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2004, 10:36 pm »
No worries obiwan. Happy to have you along. Keep watching this space and we will see what the others are up to.

I have only the Aksa 100N out of Hughs stable so far but am building the GK-1 at the momento. Methinks that will take a while so I have put a potentiometer into the 100 for the time being.

Cheers
Matt

bluesky

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2004, 06:53 am »
Hi Matt

I'm really happy about the Bris-Vegas Spectacular get together.  Your place sounds like a good idea as most have already been to my place.  

I will bring along the Aksonics which have been up and running for a few weeks now, so they are well and truly run in.

The time is fine with me as well, just finalise the date so I can organise some child care.

If I can finish any more of my current projects I will bring them along too.  Hopefully the cases for the Aksa 55 watt Nirvana will be done, likewise the TLP Nirvana, but no promises.

I also received a stack of cables from Rod Gittos via Lonewolf, via Malcolm Fear.  I don't know how long I can keep them but if it is ok with Rod I could bring the whole kit and kaboodle over and we could all audition them and then I could send them off to whoever is next on the list.

I fervently hope this will interest some other Brisbanites to see what Aksa has to offer.  A good local scene would make for even more enjoyment of our music. :D

Best regards to all    

Ian (Bluesky)

Rocket

Bris-Las Vegas spectacular
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2004, 07:00 am »
Hi Bluesky,

This is the exact intended reason that lonewolf has sent his cables out to audition and compare against other types of interconnects.  I'm sure lonewolf won't mind at all.

Obiwan, where did you buy your bel canto amp from?  It sure is a nice sounding amp but my budget doesn't stretch that far.  My aksa 100 nirvana plus should be completed by next week.

regards

rocket

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Bris-Las Vegas spectacular
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2004, 07:11 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Bluesky,

This is the exact intended reason that lonewolf has sent his cables out to audition and compare against other types of interconnects.  I'm sure lonewolf won't mind at all.

regards

rocket
Rod is correct....I don't mind at all. Whoever wants a listen is fine with me. Thanks again Rod  :D  for keeping track of it all !!! .... Loanwolf :dance:

MattCassidy

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2004, 08:06 am »
Ok then, this is shaping up nicely. What day suits everyone, my dearly beloved is working nights so I am a free agent that week. If you want to bring your kids along that is fine with me although they may be bored stiff, if we are all crapping on about music and audio..

I will start the bidding at Tuesday night. i believe it is a show holiday wednesday for some people so we can stay up later than a school night..

obiwan

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2004, 08:10 am »
Hi Rocket,

I ordered the Bel Canto from your own city, Pat O'Brien at WAR Audio.

obiwan

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2004, 08:27 am »
Matt,

Tuesday before Ekka Wednesday should be fine with me. If you like I could also bring along my Rotel Michi passive preamp if you want to try your AKSA100 with that.

Actually, I might have to economise on what I'd bring over, my car can only hold so much. Seeing as the purpose is to compare amps etc, maybe I should just bring the Bel Canto integrated and the Michi preamp. Especially as you say you already have a decent CD player and Quad speakers. Mind you though, I would love to hear my Dynaudios with an AKSA behind them.

AKSA

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2004, 08:58 am »
Obiwan,

I've heard the Bel Canto Evo II, good amplifier.

The big issues with the digital amps are filter design, feedback intermodulation and jitter control.  However, they are extremely efficient and in ten years may even dominate the high end.

Cheers,

Hugh

MattCassidy

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2004, 09:52 am »
Ok let's lock it in for Tuesday August 10, make it early as you all like in the evening. I will be home from 4ish and will get the scotch glasses ready  :beer: !  My address is 15 Tweed St Ashgrove. Just let me know who is in and who is out.

Matt

bluesky

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2004, 03:19 am »
Hi Matt

This is fine with me, if you have a VCR or DVD then any kids will be well entertained (and quiet), fortunately my kids are well behaved in public, like most kids they save their best for home. :lol:   I'll just bring a movie or two and their Playstation.

I'll also bring a plate of something like finger food for us all.

To Rod and Lonewolf, a thousand thankyous for your generosity, I really do appreciate it.  I just didn't want to wear out my welcome by keeping them too long but this does sound like a great opportunity for a few of us Aksaphiles to listen as a group and that way it will reach a number of people in one hit.

I look to our "event".  By the way Matt do you have a turntable?  I could bring a couple of LP's along if you do.

Cheers

Ian

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2004, 03:27 am »
Hello, Any of you fellows have a camera ? Don't get to see many photo's of Ozzie meetings or equipement. A couple of shots would be nice. Thanks !! :thumb:

bluesky

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2004, 07:53 am »
Hi Lonewolf

Sure do have a digital camera, I'll take it along as well.  Somehow I have lost the wire connector to the printer/computer but I will get one over the next week so we can have a few pics of the get together.

I am very interested in hearing the Rotel Michi preamp, I saw one of these and the amp at Stereo Supplies once and thought it was great but didn't really audition it I must say.

Bluesky

obiwan

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2004, 08:29 am »
[I am very interested in hearing the Rotel Michi preamp, I saw one of these and the amp at Stereo Supplies once and thought it was great but didn't really audition it I must say]

Well Bluesky, if anyone wants to buy the Michi pre (and power for that matter) it will be available as I'm hoping the new Bel Canto will outperform the Rotel Michi stuff. Even the matching Michi CD player is available too. It looks great but started skipping and they don't make that transport anymore. The only way to make it perfect again is to buy a second hand player with the same Philips CDM9-PRO mechansim and swap them over. I'll probably list them on Ebay and throw in the CD player with whoever wins the bid on the amps.[/quote]

AKSA

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2004, 10:48 am »
This meeting is looking pretty damn good......... :beer:

Hugh, watching with great interest....... :lol:

kyrill

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2004, 09:01 pm »
Yeah, I would love to participate too,
but from Holland it is a little long way..