Bris-Vegas Aksa Spectacular!

bluesky

« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2004, 11:37 pm »
Hi Everyone

I agree with Hugh about it shaping up as a good evening.

Its a pity Hugh's corporate Lear jet is in for servicing though!

I have already invited Hugh up here for a visit but "he is flat out like a lizard drinking" all the time.  By the way this is an often used saying in Australia for our overseas friends.  Like "so broke I can't afford to scratch myself" which applies to me at the moment! :lol:

I can't wait to hear all this new stuff and compare the Bel Canto to the Aksa amps.   I only recently found out what Bel Canto is recently when watching a documentary on Maria Callais.  It is a form of opera that is very dificult to sing, apparently, as I have never actually done it myself!

Bluesky

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
« Reply #21 on: 1 Aug 2004, 11:50 pm »
OK so then we have the following takers:

Bluesky
Obiwan
Rookster
Nick (my business partner and audio nut)
and myself

anyone else wanna join the party, should be quite fun and definately an educationf or yours truly.

Ian i do not have a turntable, only CD, but if you wnat ot bring one then fell free. i will setup the room so that we can hotplug things quickly without the usual crawl down behind the cabinet with a torch..

Is anyone else bringing a 100W Aksa nirvana, mine has a volume pot in it at the moment and I am not too keen to desolder the wiring and stress out my PCB again....So to properly check out the pre-amps it would be best to have a raw one as such...

Matt

rookster

« Reply #22 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:08 am »
Matt,

You pre-empted my response, but count me in at this stage.  I won't be able to bring much as I still haven't finished my Aksonics.  If I get the time on the weekend, I might finish, but not sure.  Might get them to a mockup stage and bring photos instead.

I can bring photos of my 3/4 finished turntable.

rookster

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:11 am »
Matt,

I won't be home until about 6 that day, so by the time I have dinner and get to your place, it would be 7 oclock at best.  I assume you will still be going by then.

MattCassidy

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:15 am »
For sure, we will just be warming up by then, sounds like we may have a bit of stuff to get through so we will probably be going for a few hours at least..

Look forward to meeting you all.

Matt

DSK

« Reply #25 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:21 am »
You guys are in for a great night, wish I could be there!

I'll be interested in your impressions of the BC. I auditioned the EVO II in my system last year and found that it was very clean sounding and did nothing wrong that I could readily point a finger at, but it lacked the emotional connection and life of my Plinius and the AKSA Nirvana amps. It sounded a little recessed, like I was listening to a performance from the next room rather than being in the actual room myself. I felt somewhat detached from the performance. The effect was not as strong as it sounds reading this short paragraph, but the effect was there nonetheless. On the day I would have chosen the AKSA Nirvana (regardless of cost) and having now heard the Nirvana Plus several times, have no doubt that it will be my next amp.

However, I haven't heard the integrated or the Gen II version of the BC amps. So, the slate is wiped clean and let the games begin!  :lol:
Have fun guys  :D

obiwan

« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:39 am »
Well as we speak, the Bel Canto has just arrived at work. Can't wait to get it home.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:01 am »
Quote from: bluesky
Hi Lonewolf

Sure do have a digital camera, I'll take it along as well.  Somehow I have lost the wire connector to the printer/computer but I will get one over the next week so we can have a few pics of the get together.

Bluesky
Thanks bluesky....looking forward to seeing them !! Have fun !! :D

Rocket

brisbane to las vegas show
« Reply #28 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:07 am »
Hi,

I had a listen to the bc integrated the other day.  Firstly i have to say that i don't have 'golden ears'  and can't articulate my impressions of amplifiers like other posters do.

The combination of a pair of war audio bookshelf speakers (raven 1 ribbon tweeter and phl mid/bass driver) was simply outstanding.  Btw the speaker kit costs $2500au.  I have to say that the phl driver is simply an amazing sound imo.

Good luck on the night sounds like you will have fun.

regards

rocket

MattCassidy

« Reply #29 on: 2 Aug 2004, 04:50 am »
Can everyone let me know what gear they are bringing??

Cheers
Matt

obiwan

« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2004, 05:23 am »
Well looks like I should bring the Bel Canto integrated.

I can also bring any of the following, let me know what you might like:

Arcam FMJ CD33 CD player
Rotel Michi Passive PreAmp
Rotel Michi Power Amp
Dynaudio Special 25's

I realize that would be a lot to get through in one night, so just let me know what of the above you'd really like. I guess I don't want too many of my expenive toys becoming potential projectiles in my car.

MattCassidy

« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2004, 06:05 am »
Well, I can say i would love to hear the Dynaudio's and the Bel Canto sounds like a popular item also. I have an Arcam 73T CD player and Nick who is attending is happy to bring along his Alpha 10 Arcam source... As for the rest well I really don't know much about them perhaps we should wait and see what the others are going to bring along..

Cheers Obiwan and thanks for putting your hand up, should be a lot of fun and it will certainly be a learning experience for me.

Matt

rookster

« Reply #32 on: 2 Aug 2004, 07:16 am »
Matt,

As I mentioned I probably won't have anything finished to bring, but I can bring photos of my current projects etc.  Most of my current gear is not as exotic as the stuff you will have there.  My upgrading is only just starting.

I can bring snacks and any drinks if you need.  

Maybe some CD's?  Any preferences?

MattCassidy

« Reply #33 on: 2 Aug 2004, 07:27 am »
No worries, from the sounds of it there should be a fair bit, I will be curious to hear about your CD player upgrade, I hope I am remembering correctly but I think it was you that did the op amp and the clock upgrade...

Maybe just bring along whatever you want to drink unless it is a. scotch  or b. red wine I have some of those and i am happy to do the snacks etc.

Cheers
Matt

MattCassidy

« Reply #34 on: 2 Aug 2004, 07:32 am »
Oh yeah and whatever are your favourite CD's!

obiwan

« Reply #35 on: 2 Aug 2004, 10:17 am »
Matt,

If noone has another AKSA power amp to bring along, not much point in me bringing the Michi Passive preamp, especially seeing as you have a potentiometer (did I spell that right after half a bottle of red wine) already wired into your AKSA.

Are people having dinner first? If not, as I'm a hopeless cook, but I'm happy to order and pay for pizzas for the group, or Thai takeaway or whatver you guys would fancy. Or if  we eat before hand, I'm happy just to add to your Scotch collection.

I guess it depends just what time we want to start.

Trevor (Well that's my real name, if I haven't metioned it before)

MattCassidy

« Reply #36 on: 2 Aug 2004, 10:42 am »
Obi-wan-trevoroni,

Don't worry too much about food and come over as early as you like. As mentioned I am home from 4ish so anytime after 5 is fine, we can organise a bit of take-away if we need it. Yeah I think maybe forget the pre-amp, I have already committed to the GK-1 (already started) so no decision for me there. But the rest bring on over if you like. And some CD's too.

Matt

obiwan

« Reply #37 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:31 pm »
OK then, I'll bring the Bel Canto, the Dynaudios (have to work out a way not to squash tweeters in car!) and some CD's.

Obiwan Trevoroni ( I like that name)

PS, you know what, I read the review of the Bel Canto in HiFi News latest edition and the opening paragraph stated something to the effect "has ObiWan turned to the dark side" with reference to a company previously doing valves changing to an all digital amp. I thought seeing as Obiwan is the name I use in all the internet forums I go to(some that I dare not mention here!), I thought that was a sign for me to buy the amp. Who knows, the AKSA amps may drag me back to the good side of the force, although tonight I've really enjoyed the new amp.

WerTicus

« Reply #38 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:20 pm »
i have spent many an hour in front of the belcanto ... a very good amp... look forward to hearing your modded aska too next week rod! :)

AKSA

« Reply #39 on: 2 Aug 2004, 11:10 pm »
Werticus,

You should know that a Nirvana Plus will take at least 200 hours to bed down;  the Black Gate caps are extremely erratic during this period and the sound will be bloomy in the bass with a steely glaze to the top end.  Not recommended for at least two weeks.  I've told Rod about this, he is well aware of the break-in requirements, and in any event he is making arrangements with a techo friend to install it in the next few days, so might take a little while longer.

What is the price of the Bel Canto Evo II these days?  I have heard this amp with JM Labs 'titanium' speakers, pretty good.

Thank you for your post,

Cheers,

Hugh