Cain and Cain Abby

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« on: 29 Jul 2004, 04:26 pm »
Does anyone know of a local dealer, location, or place that will let me demo this speaker?

I travel to the DC area a fair amount but, thought I'd see if there's anyone here that knows where I could hear this speaker.

I'm trying to find high-efficiency speakers that sound great for a small room.  So, if you know of anything like this that you know I can hear locally, please let me know.

Thanks,
Carl

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
efficient speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2004, 05:02 pm »
hi Carl,
i can't help on the Abbys, but having heard them in the same room with the Daedalus you may want to check the DA-1 out. i know i'm the builder and obviously have a bias but the owner of the Abby's put them away and bought the Daedalus after 30 seconds.... there's a review up on this site.
thanks and good luck,
Lou

Hantra

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2004, 06:50 pm »
I would not recommend the dealer where I heard them and the BEN to ANYONE.  I wouldn't even tell John Kerry to go get some gear from him. .  Well, on second thought. .  Maybe, ,   :lol:

ohenry

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:17 pm »
Hi Carl,
If you're interested in the Cain and Cain stuff, why not take a field trip to see Ed Schilling to hear a pair of horns with some hours on them?  I did and I'm hooked with their sound in my small room.  Just a thought since you're not all that far away.   :)

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:33 pm »
I've been to Ed's and while I was impressed in the capababilities of his speakers, it wasn't the speaker for me.  The bass was strange and the highs were a bit lifeless to me.  However, the speakers were fairly new... less than a dozen hours on them...  So, I don't know if the extension would improve and then also present a more convincing sound... But, I didn't think they were better than what I have in any particular area.

I've heard dozens of 85-92db efficient 2 and 3-way speakers and now 1 pair of single-driver high efficiency speakers.  So, I need more experience to decide if that's a good avenue for me.  

I know nothing about Daedalus but, they look a bit big for my room.  Plus, since I can't really demo them locally, it's a non-option.

I'd like to hear a pair of Omega's as well...  However, I can't keep buying and selling like I have been... it's catching up with me.... or more accurately, my wife is catching on to me and knows there's no such thing as an even trade. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions... or in Hantra's case, thanks for the emphatic anti-suggestion.  :lol:

I'd really like to hear some more of this technology.

-C

JackD

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:48 pm »
Carlman

Do you still have the Europa's?  If so what are they doing that doesn't satisfy you, or is it just upgraditis.  I noticed in your two channel profile you said you were having trouble getting a sub to integrate.  I have found that to be far from the case.

Jack

Hantra

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2004, 08:54 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I'd really like to hear some more of this technology.  

One of these days, if Scott gets his Hedlunds redone, you should hear them.  I heard them when they weren't even finished, and I was ultra-impressed.  Of course they are some BIG speakers too. . .

B

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2004, 09:15 pm »
Quote from: JackD
Carlman

Do you still have the Europa's?  If so what are they doing that doesn't satisfy you, or is it just upgraditis.  I noticed in your two channel profile you said you were having trouble getting a sub to integrate.  I have found that to be far from the case.

Jack

The integration issue may have been my sub.  The amp was sick so I sent it to Adire who replaced the entire board.  So, I'll be curious to see if I can get that sub to integrate... So, when I get the amp, it'll be 'round 2'!  :)

The Europa's do little wrong... other than they need more power than the 8w Minimax, which I really like.  So, I wanted to compare the AKSA/Europa combo to the Minimax/? high-efficiency speaker combo to see what I like better.

The AKSA is awesome... but so is the Minimax.  It's just a matter of finding my tastes.  I want to find something I can live with for a year and cure myself of 'upgraditis' for a while.

-C

JoshK

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2004, 09:33 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I want to find something I can live with for a year and cure myself of 'upgraditis' for a while.

Don't we all!!!   :lol:

Christof

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2004, 11:13 pm »
Carlman

I have a pair of Abby's (clones) which I built to exact spec with exception of wall thickness which I bumped up to 3/4" from the original 1/2".  I currently use them with a pair of 350b monoblocks.   After about 200 hrs on the Fostex (165e) drivers I decided they lacked bass which I was hungry for, so I built a small sub consisting of twin 8" dayton quattro's driven with a PE 250w plate amp.  With the sub and 350b rig they are keepers, I love these speakers with acoustic style music, jazz and music which in general doesn't present a "musical attack".  They sound great with female vocals as well.  If my clones are anything like the real deal I would not hesitate to give a high recommendation.  F-100 has a pair of Abbys and he might be able to chime in.

Christof

bmed

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:31 am »
I can chime in on the Abby's.  I'm listening to them as a type.  I have the nearfields in a 13' x 10' room.  Using 20 watts of PP tube.  I think the extra oomph of the PP really adds some dynamics that may be more muted with the oft recommended SET+ fullranger.  SET is still very syngergistic with the Fostex.   Simple acoustic, jazz, female voices are their strengths.  Soundstageing and imaging are incredible, especially considering the price.  Not the ultimate speaker, but cost must be factored in.  As usual you need to factor in your own parameters/shortcomings that you can live with.  Complex music will really make them sound congested and overwhelmed.  Give Terry an email, he can steer you to the closest dealer.  He usually responds very fast and is very helpful.  

Also, don't even think about it without a sub!  

Brad

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:42 am »
I really appreciate the additional comments about their characteristics.

I listen to a variety of music, about half of which is simple, folksy/jazz/vocals.  The other half is comprised of pop, rock, and various alternative stuff.  I like Peter Gabriel's Up album for speaker tests.  Specifically, 'My Ghost Likes to Travel'.  What a great song.  

It sounds like the Abby's or any single-driver speaker may be tough to fit the bill for the second half of my music tastes.

I'm essentially at the point where I need to hear things, though.   I'm not buying anything right now.. only what I can hear at someone's house/business... or obtain easily and return without putting anyone out.

I spoke to Shane (hometheaterdoc) and he is willing to loan me some speakers to hear with no obligation.... and he's local.  So, I'll likely try a pair of Usher's combined with the AKSA... It'd be interesting to hear that sound compared to what I have.  

My goal is to find either: a high efficiency speaker that sounds great with the Minimax or, keep the AKSA with speakers that sound great in my room.  We'll see what happens...

-C

JoshK

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:15 am »
C,

I think you need to go line arrays.  Efficient and can do both rock and vocals.  If I ever replace my RM40's it will be with line arrays.

Hantra

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2004, 11:41 am »
C:

Are you displeased with the GMA's?  I heard the Continuum 1.5's a few weeks ago.  They are really good.  Missing a few octaves of bass though. . .

L8r,

B

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:32 pm »
I'm not 'unhappy' with the GMA's... just looking around for that perfect 'synergistic' match.
I should probably wait until I get the amp from my sub back, though.

The amp/speaker/sub combo is an important match.  Once I've got that right, life is good.

ohenry

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2004, 03:12 pm »
Hey Carl,
You have to like Ed's horns, because I do!  Isn't that the way it works?  :lol:   And they're great "for the price" (I knew you'd enjoy that part!!!).

But really. . . I do think you should try out some other full rangers, but I'm not optimistic you'll like them.  It's too bad Ed doesn't reserve a broken-in pair of horns to demo, the change is dramatic IMO.

Good luck, sometimes the best action is no action. . .

F-100

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2004, 04:09 pm »
Carlman,
    I've a pair of  Abby "Normal"  as my second system in the living room. They are currently driven by an Audio Valve Assistant 20 integrated tube amp. While I like the sound of them with the Assistant, I would suggest driving them with a SET amp to achieve the best sound. Just as Bmed and Christof had said on their posts, they lacked of bass but they sound incredible with certain style of music like jazz and acoustic instrument and definitely not a good candidate for rock-n-roll and heavy metal music .
Although I don't listen to them that much anymore because I find myself spending more time listening to the Onix Ref1 and Odyssey system in my dedicated music room. Maybe someday I’ll integrate a sub with the Abby and will go from there. But for now, they are a thing of beauty and a piece of art in my living room.

Hantra

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2004, 05:07 pm »
C:

Another speaker you ought to hear are the Carolina Audio speakers.

I have heard the monitors, as well as the floorstanders, and they are both astonishingly good!  I haven't heard the new dual driver ones.  

L8r,

B

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2004, 09:36 am »
Timely thread for me.  I am in process of doing something similar for different reasons.  We are almost certainly goig to be selling this house, and at least onan interim basis I don't expect to have a room big enough for my current speakers.  Since I've got to change anyway, I thought I'd go for something completely different, like a pair of hi-eff speakers and a flea amp.

Many of the names mentioned are on my list - Cain & Cain, Omega, Horn Shoppe - along with maybe a few others (Rethm, Cabasse (not true hi-eff), FAB, ?...)

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2004, 09:40 am »
B,
Are those the Jordan-based transmission-line designs?  I didn't know he had 'bookshelfs' at all.