Cain and Cain Abby

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2004, 09:49 am »
Carl,
Yes, it is well-nigh impossible to hear any of these around here.  I was trying to decide between buying a couple different pairs of speakers and selling off the ones that 'lose', and continue the process until happy (enough).  However, complicating that with amp choices as well creates a big matrix, or a living room like Shane's  :wink:

I'm actually considering springing for a ticket to Denver to go to the Rocky Mountain Audiofest, which will have many of these exhibiting.  Would probably be less expensive in the long run, and I'd love to get back to Evergreen.

Or, we could EACH buy a couple things, then get together for the demo, and hope we both don't prefer the same combo.  :wink:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2004, 09:52 am »
Quote from: Hantra
C:

Another speaker you ought to hear are the Carolina Audio speakers.

I have heard the monitors, as well as the floorstanders, and they are both astonishingly good!  I haven't heard the new dual driver ones.  

L8r,

B
Info link for Carolina Audio ... http://www.carolinaaudio.com/   :)

Inscrutable

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2004, 10:01 am »
Wolf,
Thanks!  I'd seen them on another website, which didn't show the full line.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2004, 10:04 am »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Wolf,
Thanks!  I'd seen them on another website, which didn't show the full line.
Good luck with the search !!! :thumb:

JCC

Daedalus DA-1
« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2004, 02:28 pm »
I suggest that you take up Lou Hinkley's offer for a review of the Daedalus DA-1. These are 96DB effiicient, and are simply great speakers. I don't think that you can go wrong.

Great cabinetry, great sound, great dynamics.

Hantra

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2004, 02:38 pm »
B,
Are those the Jordan-based transmission-line designs?  I didn't know he had 'bookshelfs' at all.

Yeah. . They are surprisingly good!

Inscrutable

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2004, 10:33 am »
I suggest that you take up Lou Hinkley's offer for a review of the Daedalus DA-1.
I'm afraid that while they may satisfy the hi-eff (relatively) requirement, they may be too big for my room.  They don't appear much less imposing than my 3.3's, and actually might have to be even further into the room - driver coherence at a close listening position might be a problem.

Chris_B

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2004, 12:58 pm »
Carl - I had a similar experience when I began running my Europas with my CJ integrated tube amp.  When I switched to a high current pair of monos from Odyssey, the Europas sounded great.  They kept their natural sound and became much more lively.  The Europas like a fair amount of power.  I look forward to hearing how you think a pair of high efficiency speakers and the minimax compare with the Europas and a good amp.  My next task it to integrate a sub.

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2004, 09:17 pm »
Tim... I feel for you, man... It's not easy going from what you have to a small room.  I felt claustrophobic for a while.  Also, gear changes become a more compact manuevre... everything gets tight.  The sound is totally different... removing the sound of the room is much harder... just a pain.

One thing I've done is make it a bit more near-field.  I'm in about a 7' triangle with the speakers.  (I'm about 8' back from the line between the speaekers, though.  This has helped tremendously.

The Minimax powers the Europas OK but leaves the bass a little less full than I'd like.

The AKSA gives the speakers a lot more body and mid-bass bloom than the Minimax.

I'm waiting on my sub amp and a pair of KEF Coda 70's to be shipped now.  I'll be glad to share those speakers when they get here and have a chance to break-in a little.

I'd be happy to demo/show-off my TT rig as well. I just completed an AC powered Bugle and it sounds very good with the 10x5.

Anyway, it's a waiting game at this point.  Next weekend I don't have too many plans but I do have plans other weekends, though.  

So, if Tim and whoever else is interested in getting together with whatever is available, let me know.

BTW, as nice as a plan as suggested, I cannot buy anything and then sell it at the moment... maybe in a few months but not right now.  I can explain in person/later... etc.  ;)

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2004, 09:31 pm »
Carl,
Yes, it is well-nigh impossible to hear any of these around here.  I was trying to decide between buying a couple different pairs of speakers and selling off the ones that 'lose', and continue the process until happy (enough).  However, complicating that with amp choices as well creates a big matrix, or a living room like Shane's  :wink:...

be glad you haven't seen it recently!!  I've since added various models of Usher speakers after taking delivery of 3 pallets of their speakers a while back, a few projectors (you have to see the new Optoma H77...  I can live without CRT happily now) and a 110" Stewart Firehawk in the main room :)

Inscrutable

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2004, 11:44 am »
Carl,
I probably will be around next weekend also ... maybe we can hook up.  Yeah, WRT the room, it is even worse because we are really up in the air as to whether we will settle in to a townhome, or build another detached - and the room/neighbors issues each of those entail.  In other words, I have absolutely no idea what I'll be able to accomodate in 18 months - other than a nearfield 2-ch rig, which is my minimum subsistence requirement.  :wink:

Shane,
I'd definitely like to come view some of your newer PJ's.  Maybe that'll make it easier to actually part with my still-needing-repair-but fresh-memories-of-a-great-picture CRT.   :(

Carlman

Cain and Cain Abby
« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2004, 01:22 pm »
Carl,
I probably will be around next weekend also ... maybe we can hook up.  Yeah, WRT the room, it is even worse because we are really up in the air as to whether we will settle in to a townhome, or ...

My best room to date was in a townhome.  The main floor was 40' wide and 14' deep.  It worked very well for me.  

I'm getting closer and closer to having a good quasi-nearfield setup.  If you'd rather come this way to hear nearfield, that'd be fine.... or, we can set something up at your place which would be interesting as well.  I'd be very interested to hear what my AKSA Plus could do with your current speakers.   Now that I think about it.. We should probably decide what we're going to audition and/or how much time we have...
;)
-C