What's the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR?

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
Re: What's the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR?
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:54 pm »
I need help understanding these graphs.

Why is the shape of the low end on second graph so different from the shape of the third graph? The second is supposedly Frequency Response On Axis and 15 Degrees Off axis. The third Frequency Response On Axis and 30 Degrees off axis.

Looking at the Frequency Response On Axis and 30 Degrees off axis graph there appears to be a huge drop off in output just below 200 Hz. That has to hurt the perception of bass output no? But output looks good down to 50Hz. Am I reading it correctly?

The perception of bass tends to be subjective - bass in general is non-directional - also,
room environment and floor bounce play a part. The HSU bass is usable down to 60 hz >
however, not +/- 2db. With the upper frequencies, as you move/sit further off axis, the
frequency response changes. It is not easy to get accurate measurements, below 200 hz.
That is good measurements for a budget friendly speaker.

Depending on the room size (smaller), there may be a little more gain in the bass.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:56 pm »
Now we're getting seriously out of Cheap and Cheerful price guidelines.  Please try to remember the entire system price has to be under $1,000 with no individual component over $400.  We do allow a lot of wiggle room, but this is getting silly.  It would be the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, not the best speaker you could buy.

Oops, forgot where I was. 

hifitommy

« Reply #42 on: 19 Jan 2014, 01:07 am »
it will be hard to stayt anywhere the price of the bs22s and get better sound.  my quickest thought is to get maggie MMGs.  closer to 700 though but worth the jump.  used they are about 400 bucks.

i sat the pios down in place of my spendor s3/5s and am not anxious to return to the spendors.  i have no doubt that i will be happy putting the little s3/5s back in place but for now i am enjoying being amazed.

hifitommy

« Reply #43 on: 19 Jan 2014, 01:10 am »
oopsy, i neglected to mention that i use a sub with small speakers or any that don't have bottom  end reach.

OzarkTom

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jan 2014, 02:02 am »
A friend and I  hooked a Job 225 amp up to these Pios and was further amazed. Bass was so great that we did not feel in need for a sub. But normally we use those $80 Chinese amps or the $500 TBI Millenia amp. The better the electronics, the better these sound. We sure would like to hear Murphey's modded Pios with the 225.