What's the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR?

vlad335

Re: What's the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2014, 11:49 am »
And the grand sleeper of the year or the decade for that matter - is the cambride aero 2's - using a balanced mode radiator tweeter (for the highs and the midrange) - for $499 this is my pick for speaker of the year and the last 10 years - this is really different and special and magical - it is a bookshelf - but not a desktop

everyone who raves about how good their speakers are - hasn't heard this special bookshelf speaker

I am intrigued by these as well. Getting the crossover point out of the critical midrange cannot be anything but an improvement over traditional designs. Would love to hear a pair.

vlad335

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:23 pm »

On the other hand, with the OS on my desk, at low volumes, they sound great.  My only complaint is that I don't "feel the magic", for lack of better words.  I can listen to them for a long time without any fatigue.  They are resolving enough to illustrate differences in other components; for example, I heard a noticeable improvement when I moved from the TK2050-based HiFimeDIY T2 amp to the $10 TPA3110 board (that is now receiving a lot of attention in this circle).  Lousy recordings (Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication") are obvious.  For the price, and the fun of building them, they are fantastic.  They wouldn't be my first pick to be stuck on a desert island with, but if I ended up with them on said island, I wouldn't complain.  :)

I have to agree with your assessment of the Overnight Sensations. I have a pair on my desktop now to give them another listen. They are awesome for what I paid for them. Nice even frequency response. At lower volumes they sound really really good. Turn them up a bit and it gets congested. When I place my hand on the cab one can feel them vibrating quite a bit so I blame the cab for this. Also, these speakers are quite inefficient. I think 84db sensitivity.

I built a pair from a kit offered by DIY Soundgroup maybe 2 years ago. Paid less than $100 back in the day. The kit came with a 1/2" plywood flat pack. I wonder how a 3/4" braced MDF cab would improve the obvious resonances?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:36 pm »
That is the answer, for just a little more

If you have a decent sub with these you'll have to spend a lot more to beat them.  I just have the cheapo Pioneer sub (you can find them new for under $100 at Amazon sometimes).  I spent $212 on the combo (you can get even better prices if you're more savvy than I) and I doubt I can get better sound for under $600 or so.  Even more if you have a really good sub.

vlad335

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2014, 02:35 pm »
These very well could be the next step up. Ordered a pair of Hsu HB-1 MK2 that should be here Tuesday. $368 pair shipped for the satin black

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I had the Pioneer center and towers for my LCR and sold them. The absolute only complaint I had is some compression at loud volume passages with Bluray. The Pioneers in my opinion were stunted somewhat dynamically used for high level playback home theater.

What got me considering the Hsu's was first, the horn tweeters for dynamics. I know horns are the ticket for what I am after. Next the reviews which I read every one I could find and all were pretty much universally positive. Dr. Hsu showed up at RMAF with his speakers and subs coupled with basically budget equipment, ( mid level onkyo receiver and Sony CD player.)  at a show with other presenters using $30k tube amps. Nothing I read said anything bad about the sound in the Hsu room using gear that us in the Real world can actually afford.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rocky-mountain-audio-fest-rmaf-2013-show-coverage/70864-hsu-research.html

Lastly, I bought the Hsu center and it arrived last week. Noted immediately that this speaker doesn't sound like a horn at all but has all the dynamic benefits thereof. Incredibly punchy midbass as well. At first planned to use 3 Hsu HC-1's across the front but when I unboxed this thing realized i would need new stands for that. Knew the dimensions going in but it's a lot bigger and heavier than i imagined.

Cannot wait for the bookshelves to arrive. Going to give them a go in my computer setup as well.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2014, 04:33 pm »
These very well could be the next step up. Ordered a pair of Hsu HB-1 MK2 that should be here Tuesday. $368 pair shipped for the satin black

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I had the Pioneer center and towers for my LCR and sold them. The absolute only complaint I had is some compression at loud volume passages with Bluray. The Pioneers in my opinion were stunted somewhat dynamically used for high level playback home theater.

What got me considering the Hsu's was first, the horn tweeters for dynamics. I know horns are the ticket for what I am after. Next the reviews which I read every one I could find and all were pretty much universally positive. Dr. Hsu showed up at RMAF with his speakers and subs coupled with basically budget equipment, ( mid level onkyo receiver and Sony CD player.)  at a show with other presenters using $30k tube amps. Nothing I read said anything bad about the sound in the Hsu room using gear that us in the Real world can actually afford.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rocky-mountain-audio-fest-rmaf-2013-show-coverage/70864-hsu-research.html

Lastly, I bought the Hsu center and it arrived last week. Noted immediately that this speaker doesn't sound like a horn at all but has all the dynamic benefits thereof. Incredibly punchy midbass as well. At first planned to use 3 Hsu HC-1's across the front but when I unboxed this thing realized i would need new stands for that. Knew the dimensions going in but it's a lot bigger and heavier than i imagined.

Cannot wait for the bookshelves to arrive. Going to give them a go in my computer setup as well.

I'll be interested to hear your impressions. I've been considering these for a long time along with a couple other CD speakers including the JBL 530 and kits from diysoundgroup.com (though I'd probably never find the time to finish those).

vlad335

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:02 pm »
I'll be interested to hear your impressions. I've been considering these for a long time along with a couple other CD speakers including the JBL 530 and kits from diysoundgroup.com (though I'd probably never find the time to finish those).

Considered the exact same speakers as well. The JBL's are going out of my budget and the DIY waveguide offerings don't have a viable center channel. I love DIY but have no idea what those would sound like.

The Hsu center is excellent... Outstanding actually and nothing can touch it at anywhere near its pricepoint. I certain my front soundstage for home theater will be set but very interested how these bookshelves will sound with my T-amp in the computer setup as well. The extra sensitivity will be very helpful there for sure.

Might be ordering another pair.

wushuliu

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2014, 06:42 pm »
Considered the exact same speakers as well. The JBL's are going out of my budget and the DIY waveguide offerings don't have a viable center channel. I love DIY but have no idea what those would sound like.

The Hsu center is excellent... Outstanding actually and nothing can touch it at anywhere near its pricepoint. I certain my front soundstage for home theater will be set but very interested how these bookshelves will sound with my T-amp in the computer setup as well. The extra sensitivity will be very helpful there for sure.

Might be ordering another pair.

Since you're comfortable with diy if you like the Hsu it might be a good idea to replace some of the components with higher quality counterparts, particularly for the tweeter e.g. inexpensive sonicaps, etc.

vlad335

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:36 pm »
Since you're comfortable with diy if you like the Hsu it might be a good idea to replace some of the components with higher quality counterparts, particularly for the tweeter e.g. inexpensive sonicaps, etc.

Planned to wrap a dynamat type covering on the plastic horn as well as some better cabinet damping. Can't leave anything alone lol.

I have rolled caps before and that is an excellent idea. At theprice point of these speakers its probably a given that there is cheaper caps in them.

Have a link to a good place to buy sonicaps?

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:16 pm »
Planned to wrap a dynamat type covering on the plastic horn as well as some better cabinet damping. Can't leave anything alone lol.

I have rolled caps before and that is an excellent idea. At theprice point of these speakers its probably a given that there is cheaper caps in them.

Have a link to a good place to buy sonicaps?

The only place to buy sonicaps: http://soniccraft.com/sonicap.htm

Be sure to check their News section as well. They've been running a big sale and have some caps at a good discount.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:41 am »

The JBL Studio 530 - is $479 with free shipping here
http://www.audiogurus.com/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/jbl-studio-530bk.html

Ericus Rex

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2014, 02:01 pm »
The only place to buy sonicaps: http://soniccraft.com/sonicap.htm

Be sure to check their News section as well. They've been running a big sale and have some caps at a good discount.

Soniccraft also advertises their sales in AC's Industry Ads section.

vlad335

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:53 am »
I'll be interested to hear your impressions. I've been considering these for a long time along with a couple other CD speakers including the JBL 530 and kits from diysoundgroup.com (though
 I'd probably never find the time to finish those).

I let these run in for awhile before making judgement. Tend to succumb to "new toy syndrome" so wanted to wait to be more subjective.

Very impressed initially and I still am.  The frequency response is very even and they get quite loud without any perceived distortion. No surprise as the Hsu's are listed on AVS as capable of reference level playback. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers As far as dynamics are concerned these speakers have it, in spades. High resolution bluray soundtracks sound incredible. Great home theater speakers at an amazing price!

Build quality is good with solid MDF cabinets. I was surprised to find an 8 component crossover in the bookshelves. (10 in the center) Utilizes air cores and what appear to be film caps on the tweeters. Flared ports, (even inside the cab) are used in the bookshelves. Obviously some engineering work went into these and the sound quality bears this out.

The wiring inside the cab is kinda thin but going with a heavier gauge for so short a run is probably negligible. Also some cheap sound absorption is installed. Plan to use a dynamat type covering for extra damping in the cab with some egg crate foam. Probably solder some Sonicaps into the tweeter circuits down the road for the helluvit as well.

Unfortunately, near-field use with my computer setup wasn't the best. Seemed that one needs to be a couple feet or more away for the drivers in the speaker to properly integrate. Plus, they are huge and take up alot of space on the desk.

Overall I am quite happy with these.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:01 pm »
I let these run in for awhile before making judgement. Tend to succumb to "new toy syndrome" so wanted to wait to be more subjective.

Very impressed initially and I still am.  The frequency response is very even and they get quite loud without any perceived distortion. No surprise as the Hsu's are listed on AVS as capable of reference level playback. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1387083/list-of-reference-level-high-sensitivity-spl-speakers As far as dynamics are concerned these speakers have it, in spades. High resolution bluray soundtracks sound incredible. Great home theater speakers at an amazing price!

Home theater use aside, I'll be curious what you think of them with music. I need to simplify and kid-friendly my family room which means moving my Maggie MG10.1 out for decent not-too-costly bookshelf speakers that will sit on the AV cabinet (or perhaps stands), but still want great sound for music (Maggies won't go away, just on sabbatical or to another room). CD speakers have been the only approach that has really moved me recently... the 3Pi and 4Pi speakers sound fantastic but were ultimately just too big.

Please keep us updated... thanks!

I would love to be able to do a shootout between the Hsu HB, JBL 530 and diysoundgroup Fusion 8. Still hoping the JBLs might appear on sale again for under $400 at Amazon.

vlad335

« Reply #33 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:17 pm »
Home theater use aside, I'll be curious what you think of them with music. I need to simplify and kid-friendly my family room which means moving my Maggie MG10.1 out for decent not-too-costly bookshelf speakers that will sit on the AV cabinet (or perhaps stands), but still want great sound for music (Maggies won't go away, just on sabbatical or to another room). CD speakers have been the only approach that has really moved me recently... the 3Pi and 4Pi speakers sound fantastic but were ultimately just too big.

Please keep us updated... thanks!

I would love to be able to do a shootout between the Hsu HB, JBL 530 and diysoundgroup Fusion 8. Still hoping the JBLs might appear on sale again for under $400 at Amazon.

Opps, sorry bout that. Forgot to mention my CD stereo listening via the Oppo BDP-80.

Great soundstage and imaging if you get them positioned right and up high enough. The horns are somewhat directional which works for me very well as I have reflective surfaces on the sides near the speakers. Toed them in and it sounds great. Dome tweets reflect all over the place and smear in this room.

Might not be the best choice for a music only system though. These were obviously designed for home theater use and don't go real low. I think the frequency response is listed as -2db down at 60hz. I have all three fronts crossed at 80hz and they rock loud and clean at this setting. With that being said, one would need a capable wide range sub or two to keep up with these. ( I have two SVS PB1000's)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2014, 06:51 am »
The JBL Studio 530 - is $479 with free shipping here
http://www.audiogurus.com/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/jbl-studio-530bk.html
I'd be looking at the Studio 530s as well, since I understand they can be enjoyed without the absolute requirement of a subwoofer, whereas the Hsu HB-1 MK2 is specifically assumed to be used with a sub. This from Hsu's own literature:
"The HB-1MK2 was designed specifically to work best in systems using subwoofers."

If you intend to use the Hsu in a Hsu package with one of their subs you are looking at $800 to $1200. At that point you are getting very close to GoldenEar Technology Triton Seven territory, and apparently that's seriously good. Try to find a bad review of them!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm »
To keep the comparison monitor to monitor, how about the GoldenEar Tech Aon 2 ($800/pair, F3 = 38 Hz, ribbon tweeter, dual passive radiators, also well reviewed)?  Add a GoldenEar ForceField 3 subwoofer ($500) to reach 18 Hz, take load off the Aons, and open up the mid bass.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 18 Jan 2014, 02:41 pm »
Now we're getting seriously out of Cheap and Cheerful price guidelines.  Please try to remember the entire system price has to be under $1,000 with no individual component over $400.  We do allow a lot of wiggle room, but this is getting silly.  It would be the next step up from the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, not the best speaker you could buy.

Doublej

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:05 pm »
According to their respective websites:

JBL Studio 530: 45-40,000 Hz (- 6dB)
HSU HB1MK2: 60-20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB

If JBL is down 6dB at 45 Hz do they really have more low end than the Hsu which is down 2dB at 60 Hz?

Russell - A Hsu package with two HB1's and a subwoofer is as low as $650 delivered. Sure you can add a $1000 Hsu subwoofer and drive the price way up but that seems a bit absurd.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:53 pm »
According to their respective websites:

JBL Studio 530: 45-40,000 Hz (- 6dB)
HSU HB1MK2: 60-20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB

If JBL is down 6dB at 45 Hz do they really have more low end than the Hsu which is down 2dB at 60 Hz?

I have not listened to the HSU - however, the 530 has some serious bass
and will go down low - and make some 6" woofers look weak.

The HSU in general, is made to play with a sub for some low bass > also,
the +/- 2 db at 60 hz, looks a little optimistic on their part.
Review with measurements here.
http://stereomojo.com/HSU%20HB1%20Mk2%20Speaker%20Review/HSUHB1Mk2SpeakerReview.htm

Doublej

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jan 2014, 07:22 pm »
I have not listened to the HSU - however, the 530 has some serious bass
and will go down low - and make some 6" woofers look weak.

The HSU in general, is made to play with a sub for some low bass > also,
the +/- 2 db at 60 hz, looks a little optimistic on their part.
Review with measurements here.
http://stereomojo.com/HSU%20HB1%20Mk2%20Speaker%20Review/HSUHB1Mk2SpeakerReview.htm

I need help understanding these graphs.

Why is the shape of the low end on second graph so different from the shape of the third graph? The second is supposedly Frequency Response On Axis and 15 Degrees Off axis. The third Frequency Response On Axis and 30 Degrees off axis.

Looking at the Frequency Response On Axis and 30 Degrees off axis graph there appears to be a huge drop off in output just below 200 Hz. That has to hurt the perception of bass output no? But output looks good down to 50Hz. Am I reading it correctly?