Rating this season's quarterbacks . .

jackman

Re: Rating this season's quarterbacks . .
« Reply #60 on: 27 Aug 2013, 01:41 am »
This could be interesting. Another KW comeback kid?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/matt-leinart-now-buffalo-bill-e-j-manuel-213052564.html

Unless they start giving out points for shagging strippers, Matt Leinert is not going to do anything for Buffalo.  I feel bad because Buffalo fans are great and they deserve better.  Leinert is a bust and I hope they can pick up someone better off the scrap heap. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #61 on: 28 Aug 2013, 02:33 pm »
Interesting discussion on ESPN's First Take this morning.  Talk is that Tony Romo is going to be doing more play calling this season.  Hey, I'm 100% for it.  Jason Garrett's play calling  hasn't helped him or the team.  How many times have you seen Romo walking into the huddle with his head down, dejected looking.  Let the 55 million dollar baby do his stuff.  I'm totally jazzed about this.  Maybe fans are gonna get something besides that same ole beef stew this season.   Players, too.  They need something.  Maybe this will be it.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #62 on: 28 Aug 2013, 03:35 pm »
Also under discussion on First Take this morning is what should the rules committee do about hitting the knees.  Not running backs who are expecting to be hit, all the other guys on the field.

If there was a penalty for this, wouldn't it change this behavior?  It's not gonna make the game less interesting.  The playing field would be even for everybody.  I think it's a good idea.  A blown knee is a career ending thing.

One of the panelists said there are too many rules.  I say again, it wouldn't change the GAME, imo.  Thoughts, anyone?

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 28 Aug 2013, 04:35 pm »
After reading the story about Reggie Williams' struggles with his knee (see link), I'm in favor of anything that can preserve the health of players and prevent some injuries.  Football is a brutal game, by nature, and they are never going to eliminate all injuries.  Reggie's story is very sad, he may lose his leg, and he is struggling to pay his medical bills.  This guy was a Dartmouth grad and is very bright.  He was a terrific player and it's sad to see someone go through so much pain and suffering. 

No help with medical care from the NFL is shocking.  I think the league needs to extend health coverage to former players, like Reggie.  That's another story.

There are several articles and I found this one first.  Look at that knee...He should just have it amputated and get a modern prosthesis.   

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/11/sports/football/who-should-pay-the-medical-bills-of-retired-nfl-players/

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 28 Aug 2013, 07:31 pm »
I'm with Jackman on this.  The League needs to discourage this and the way is right at their fingertips and the League or the owners should provide healthcare coverage.  At issue on the First Take program today was a particular hit over this past weekend.  Maybe if you are able to visit ESPN's First Take it might be possible to view.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 28 Aug 2013, 07:45 pm »
The NFL is nothing more than the owners' union. The owners individually and collectively are a modern day amalgamation of slave owner and pimp. The players are chattel. With this in mind, consider their motivations and priorities before offering them suggestions. They like it the way it is. Nothing moves them other than PR and the fear of losing money. Lawsuits are a potential stimulant. They will give nothing that isn't pried from their miserly grip.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #66 on: 28 Aug 2013, 08:26 pm »
The NFL is nothing more than the owners' union. The owners individually and collectively are a modern day amalgamation of slave owner and pimp. The players are chattel. With this in mind, consider their motivations and priorities before offering them suggestions. They like it the way it is. Nothing moves them other than PR and the fear of losing money. Lawsuits are a potential stimulant. They will give nothing that isn't pried from their miserly grip.
+1

jackman

« Reply #67 on: 6 Sep 2013, 03:33 pm »
Damn, Manning looked sharp as a tack yesterday.  Seven TDs?  Also. How could the Pats give up on Welker? Manning loves guys like that and I suspect both will have great seasons barring injury.  After last night, it's tempting to put Manning on the top of the list, although the top four are all great.  Manning is poised to have a monster season.

Flaco looked pretty good but he's got no receivers.  Too many well thrown bas dropped including a guaranteed td by Dallas Clark. The Ravens have a tough schedule and I don't expect them to repeat last year's success. 

I believe Romo is going to have a breakout season and Cutler is going to break into the top 12.  On second thought, better hold off on the cutler prediction until the real season starts.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 6 Sep 2013, 03:53 pm »
Yep!! Ole Peyton is on pace to throw 112 regular season touchdowns. Who thinks he will do that?

Denver does look like a lock for a first round bye, however. Then the playoffs happen and we can go back to discussing what might have been.

Which other AFC teams will be in the postseason with Denver? Cincy? NE? Houston? Maybe Indy and K.C. as wildcards?

Let the speculation begin. Who is going to lose to Seattle in the Super Bowl?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 6 Sep 2013, 04:48 pm »
I believe Romo is going to have a breakout season and Cutler is going to break into the top 12.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #70 on: 6 Sep 2013, 05:21 pm »
 As a fan of the Bay Area teams since the late 60's (transplant to SoCal).

CK7  #1 :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #71 on: 6 Sep 2013, 05:32 pm »
Yes, Manning appears to have a team of guys who believe in him so much that it's elevated their play. It's a rare occurrence, and always fun to watch.

As for Welker, it's less of the Pats giving up on him than Welker telling Belichick to get bent. :thumb:

Go Saints!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #72 on: 6 Sep 2013, 05:35 pm »
I thought the game was pretty well even until Harbaugh didn't challenge the call on the pass that hit the ground.   :scratch: :duh:

jackman

« Reply #73 on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:11 pm »
Yes, Manning appears to have a team of guys who believe in him so much that it's elevated their play. It's a rare occurrence, and always fun to watch.

As for Welker, it's less of the Pats giving up on him than Welker telling Belichick to get bent. :thumb:

Go Saints!

Belichick tried to screw Welker last year during the first couple games.  They finally started going to him and he had a great season.  After the season they offered him an insultingly low offer.  I can't believe the Pats threw this guy away for nothing.  I guess the decided to stick with a good character guy like PCP snorting, murderous Hernandez and the one armed Gronk.  The old man in the hoodie is a great coach (maybe the best) but I think his arrogance in getting rid of Welker is going to hurt the team this year.  Of course, it doesn't hurt having a future HOF QB like Brady. 

Thunderbrick - I think the game was lost either way for the Ravens but agree with you.  That was a bone-head move by Harbaugh because the play was HUGE.  They had Denver at third and long several times but the Broncos kept making clutch plays.  The Broncos have some defensive holes (injuries and suspensions) at the moment but if they stay healthy, this could be a very tough team and could challenge anyone.   

It's still early but Manning looks to be in mid-season form after only one game and his arm strength is as good as ever.  It's a pleasure to watch that guy play, even though I hate Denver's GM, the horse-toothed jackass Elway.  In fairness, I liked him as a player. 

JT - don't laugh!  This thread is about predictions.  If I say, "Tom Brady is going to play well" or "Payton Manning is going to have a solid season", I'm not going out on a limb.  Tony Romo has skills that could put him in the elite class (top 5) but he has a history of making big mistakes in big games.  I hate the Cowgirls and their toupe'd owner, JJ, but I'm not sure Romo deserves all of the crap he gets.  I bet the Jets would take him in a heartbeat. 

Lastly, I'm not sold on the Bungles.  Is everyone on board with them because of the HBO series?  The first game against the Bears will be a good test for both teams.  The Bears' first year coach Marc Trestman is still a mystery but I'm not sold on Marvin Lewis.  I can't believe NFL power rankings have Cincy ranked ahead of Indianapolis, the Giants, Redskins, Steelers, Saints and Cowboys.  Oh, they are also ranked ahead of the Bears.  Maybe I'm drinking too much of the tasty Chicago Kool-Aid but I think the Bears are going to spank the Bungles on Sunday.  We'll see... :thumb:

The Bungles really benefitted from the 2 first round picks they got from the completely moronic Raiders for washed up Carson Palmer.  It's good to see the death of Al Davis has not stopped the Raiders from making really bad decisions. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #74 on: 6 Sep 2013, 07:20 pm »
Prognosticating is fun but, as usual, officiating, injuries and the occasional freak play will conspire to control the outcome. It doesn't really matter who starts the season with the best team.

Chazro

« Reply #75 on: 6 Sep 2013, 08:14 pm »
Great game 'til Harbaugh dropped the ball/call, the Ravens ran out of gas, and the Broncos/Manning started that hurry-up offense!  Manning and Welker look like something very special in the making, even with Welker stumbling here and there.  Man, when the Ravens receiver called for a fair catch during a kickoff and got SLAMMED by his own teammate, can you imagine the reaming this guy got!?  Am I the only guy who winces a little every time Manning gets hit?  He's such a magnificent athlete but I still worry about that neck injury!  Regardless, a great start to the season, so glad Football's back!

roscoeiii

« Reply #76 on: 6 Sep 2013, 08:26 pm »
Ravens running out of gas is right. The altitude and no-huddle, quick snaps of the Broncos left them super winded. And there was a long stretch in the second half tht the Ravens O couldn't get a first down to let the D catch their breath.

jackman

« Reply #77 on: 6 Sep 2013, 09:28 pm »
Prognosticating is fun but, as usual, officiating, injuries and the occasional freak play will conspire to control the outcome. It doesn't really matter who starts the season with the best team.

If we didn't have prognostication we would be limited to commenting on known facts or events that have already occurred.  Not as much fun as speculating about what will happen! 

I don't foresee any Cinderella team winning everything this year. Oakland, Arizona, Buffalo, etc. will still suck.

roscoeiii

« Reply #78 on: 6 Sep 2013, 11:33 pm »
What? I had Oakland picked to win it all!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #79 on: 6 Sep 2013, 11:52 pm »
Most "experts" have Oakland winning the lottery. Clowney is headed to the clown show.