Rating this season's quarterbacks . .

jimdgoulding

Re: Rating this season's quarterbacks . .
« Reply #20 on: 20 Aug 2013, 04:57 pm »
Once upon a time, I was a fan, but then came Jerry Jones.

I grew up following the Cowboys and Browns but really loved the Cowboys. I disowned the Cowboys after how Jerry Jones treated Tom Landry who had more class in the hat he always wore than Jerry Jones has in his entire body. 

Only two preseason games but I have to say that Brandon Weedon looks completely different under Norv Turner.  Maybe the Browns can finally turn it around. 

Regards
Look how long coach Jimmy Jones lasted under that wanker, and he won him an SB.

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:05 pm »
Sorry Big Ben, Eli and Romo fans, I don't think those guys are going to be in the top ten this year.  Neither is our "star" QB Cutler...who has looked bad in the pre season. 

Aaron Rodgers did not play well in the last game of the season last year but he's still top 5, along with Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.  Brady has looked sharp so far but I'm wondering if the loss of so many receivers is going to hurt his chances when the "Real" season starts. 

I'm still a huge fan of some of the youngsters, especially Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, RG3 and Colin Kaepernick.  Of the four, I'll still take Luck!  Also, don't forget about Cam Newton.  He's very talented and I'm looking forward to seeing him take his game to the next level. 

The top 10 QB's in the league are about as talented as any top ten I can recall.  The top 4 are very good and you could make a good case for any of them to be in the top spot. 

Here is my top ten for the upcoming season:

1  Aaron Rodgers, GB    - still great, even though he has less weapons and plays in a bad climate
2  Drew Brees, NO  - perfect QB for the NO offense.  Is there a better guy on carpet?
3  Peyton Manning, DEN  - still the man, the legend...but I'm not sure if he can hold up for a full season. 
4  Tom Brady, NE - could easily be tops and would be if he had last year's receiver crew.  he makes it look TOO easy. 
5. Andrew Luck - I love this guy and feel he has the potential to be the best. 
6. Robert Griffin III - let's see how that knee holds up.  He has talent to be ranked much higher
7  Cam Newton, CAR -  raw talent but he did not improve as much as I would have liked.   
8  Matt Ryan, ATL  - I'd take this guy over Cutler any day.
7  Colin Kaepernick, SF  -  Needs to prove last year was not a fluke. 
9  Russell Wilson, SEA - has the skill and potential to move up the list.  Let's see how he does now that opposing teams are more familiar with his game. 
10 Matthew Stafford, DET   - Not sure if he's good or if he just benefits from having the league's most dominant receiver.  I also may have him ranked too low but can't decide who he should replace on the list. 

Honorable Mentions: 
* Flacco - has he finally matured into a top 10 QB?  Not in my opinion but you never know.  Let's see if he has the dreaded SB hangover.
* Rothlesberger - I love this guy but had a hard time finding a spot in the top ten.  Overall a very solid player and good fit for the Steelers' system.
* Romo - I'm not a Romo hater.  At his best, he is an exceptional talent.  At his worse...another story.  He makes too many bad decisions to be in my top ten.
* Jay Cutler - in case anyone accuses me of being a homer...Jay Cutler is frustrating because he can be great at times but he makes too many bad decisions.  I'm hoping a new offense will give him more protection.  He has taken a beating because the Bears have given him poor protection but I'm not holding my breath.  If he doesn't improve, he is possibly out of my top 20.   
* Eli Manning - I'm not a fan but the guy is a winner.  He seems to come up big in big games.  On the right team, I'd take him over some of the guys in my top ten but had a hard time finding a spot for him.
* Michael Vick - I like his game at times, but he's usually (always) too beat up by the end of the year to be effective/or he's injured. 
* Sam Bradford - has shown flashes and we will see how he plays this year.  I like his game and skills. 

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2013, 05:15 pm »
Well done, Jackman  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2013, 07:21 pm »

+1, well put.

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2013, 08:34 pm »

AJ - Thanks!  I was on a conference call and had some time.  Still waiting for someone to say my ratings are crap.  It's tough to do because the top four are a crap shoot and I left some good guys off the list who probably should be on. 

Also, if Romo ever puts his game together and plays more consistantly, he has the ability to be an elite QB.  Say, if he was traded to the Pats or Niners and had a chance to work in those systems, he would probably be a Pro Bowl QB.  I believe this is why the Cowboys will not trade or release him.  He's the kind of guy who can come back to haunt you. 

Lastly, this is the internet, please feel free to poke holes in my rankings.  I'm not as obsessed with the NFL as I was when I was involved in Fantasy Football.  It's just for fun these days.  I'm secretly hoping Cutler has a stand-out year and proves me wrong. 

Cheers,
J

fredgarvin

« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2013, 08:49 pm »
AJ - Thanks!  I was on a conference call and had some time.  Still waiting for someone to say my ratings are crap.  It's tough to do because the top four are a crap shoot and I left some good guys off the list who probably should be on. 

Also, if Romo ever puts his game together and plays more consistantly, he has the ability to be an elite QB.  Say, if he was traded to the Pats or Niners and had a chance to work in those systems, he would probably be a Pro Bowl QB.  I believe this is why the Cowboys will not trade or release him.  He's the kind of guy who can come back to haunt you. 

Lastly, this is the internet, please feel free to poke holes in my rankings.  I'm not as obsessed with the NFL as I was when I was involved in Fantasy Football.  It's just for fun these days.  I'm secretly hoping Cutler has a stand-out year and proves me wrong. 

Cheers,
J

OK, the first four are easy picks.
 Newton doesn't belong in that top ten group. At all.
Flacco should take his place.
I liked Wilson over Griffin last year and still do.

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2013, 08:54 pm »
My question marks on jackman's top 10 would be Newton and Stafford.

I think I'd replace these guys with some combo of Big Ben, Flacco or Eli.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2013, 09:33 pm »
Can't rank them in order but Brady, Brees, Flacco, both Mannings, Rothlisburger, and Aaron Rogers all have something in common that might force them to the top of any such list; they all won at least one Super Bowl. In fact, they have 11 among them.
Phil Lip Rivers seems to be forgotten these days but only a few years ago he was a top five. Schaub gets no mention? The rest are very young or veteran backups. I think Andy Dalton is the real deal and I'm betting he's gonna let us all know it this season. Luck and Wilson appear to have staying  power. RG3 and Kapernick may go up in smoke early on. Stafford lives in chaos, as does the Sanchize. Ponder and about a dozen others are marginal. Crazy game.

jackman

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:19 pm »
Thanks guys, this is what I expected!  :thumb:

My picks were projections for the upcoming season, not picks on who had the best year last year.  It is tempting to rank Brady a slot or two higher, but I explained my rational in the comments section.  Also, Eli probably deserves to be on the list but I don't think he's going to be as good this year as some of the younger guys trying to make their mark. 

Wilson
is a guy who intrigues me.  He caught so many people by surprise last year because he's super athletic and he played with so much poise in so many big games in the regular season and playoffs (100+ QBR in regular and post season).  He had 26 touchdowns, very few ints (10?) and he ran for nearly 500 yards.  I'm curious to see how he does this year because he's gained the league's respect and he is not going to surprise anyone this time around.  He's also really short for a QB, under 6 feet and barely 200 lbs.  If he stays in one piece, he's going to be special!

I ranked Newton so high because I think he's going to have a break-out year.  His first two years were exceptional (okay, he threw too many INT's) and he's one of the best athletes in football.  He's rushed for over 700 yards in each of his first two seasons and has passed for nearly 4000 yards, and has 22 rushing TD's his first two years in the league.  He'd have more but they are trying to preserve him in short yardage situations.  Also, Eli didn't have a QB rating over 80 until his fifth or sixth year.  Newton has been over 80 his first two years, while playing on a not so good team.  He can play and I think he is ready to step it up in his third year. 

Robert Griffin III is a guy who has the ability to be the BEST QB in the league (if he stays healthy).  His rookie year was sensational, and it's a shame he sustained a severe injury in his last game.  How can a rookie finish with a 102.4 rating, only throw 5 picks all year, 20 TD's passing and 7 rushing?  Oh, and rush for over 800 yards? I really hope he comes back 100% because he's fun to watch play.

Joe Flacco is an interesting QB.  He's always been a steady player, but I've never considered him close to top ten until last year's playoffs.  He played REALLY well in the playoffs and deserves the credit he received for the Ravens' success.  IMO, I don't recall a better QB in the post-season last year.  If he continues at this level, he's top 8-10.  I don't think he will. 

Maybe Kaepernick should be off the list or at least lower.  He had a decent regular season in what was essentially his first year (not technically his first year, I know!), but he wasn't asked to throw the ball as many times as any of the guys in the top 10 QB's and he only had 10 TD's in the regular season.  He's not as good a runner as Newton or RG3, and he looked like a rookie at times in the post season (despite his 100 rating).  My fingers are crossed on this one but he's a big, athletic guy and he should continue to do well in the Niners' offense.  Based on last year's performance, it's easy to make a case for Big Ben taking Colin's slot on the Jman List, but what the heck.   :green:

Matt Ryan had a MONSTER season last year and deserves his place, possibly higher but I don't like the way he played in the post season.  If he played in a bigger market, and put up similar numbers, he'd be a star.  But he doesn't and most casual fans probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup. 

Tony Romo takes a lot of heat, and he deserves much of it but he had a great season, statistically, last year and threw for almost 5,000 yards.  He just threw too many picks and made some bad decisions.  He's an accurate thrower and a good athlete.  If he ever lowers his INT's, he's easily in the top 7.  I'm not saying it's going to happen but he's got the ability to put up huge offensive numbers. 

geowak

« Reply #29 on: 20 Aug 2013, 10:37 pm »
Once upon a time, I was a fan, but then came Jerry Jones.

I grew up following the Cowboys and Browns but really loved the Cowboys. I disowned the Cowboys after how Jerry Jones treated Tom Landry who had more class in the hat he always wore than Jerry Jones has in his entire body. 

Only two preseason games but I have to say that Brandon Weedon looks completely different under Norv Turner.  Maybe the Browns can finally turn it around. 

Regards

Don't know how the Browns will fare this season, but I agree on Weedon. Don't be surprised if he has great numbers this year. He flew under the radar last year, since the Browns did not have a good season. But he performed very well.

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:01 pm »

Cheers,
J

I like that your justifications made sense. Sure, some of us would have a few of them in different places, but you gave your rationale for your choices and it was a good read. I am a well-established mbr of a Bills football community online, and your posts would have been met with approval from even the most diehard fans of the game. It's also a great way to encourage more discussion, so kudos  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #31 on: 20 Aug 2013, 11:17 pm »
I think you have very good reasoning on your picks jackman, but unless we disagree it's no fun.  I think Newton will continue on the decline, not have a breakout year.  Not enough of a team around him, hasn't shown anything in the preseason.  RG3, the sophomore jinx.  Coming off the bad knee injury he shows a lot of heart, and baring re-injury, I think he'll finish strong, but too little too late to make up for the slow start I see ahead.  Wilson, great defence to back him up, good offence, good coaching staff, could be Super B year for the Hawks.  Which of course leaves Kaepernick in the same position you see him, a little semi-sophomore jinx there.  Big Ben doesn't have an O-line to support him and the receivers are questionable.  Romo just sucks when it counts, as does Cutler.  I don't care about the Bears one way or the other, but the Cowgirls can keep Romo as long as they want to, it warms my heart every year around Christmas time, Santa bringin' presents.  Lastly, Vick will never been any better than he has shown himself to be over these, what, 10 or more seasons.  Not enough between the ears, not enough altitude or bulk.  Good analysis J-man.     

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:10 pm »
Saw a show about Kurt Warner on the telly last night.  Class act that guy and shown was that totally savage blind side hit he took vs. the Saints in his last game.  I don't remember what kind of penalty was assessed after that hit but if you ask me the coach should have been suspended for the rest of the season.   But, of course, that was the season, and then to learn about they were sanctioning bounties just makes me all the more pissed.  You should have seen that hit.  See it if you can.  See the show, in fact, if it comes around your way. 

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:31 pm »
Jim- I recall the hit and it was brutal and intentional.  The Saints got off easy and I wil never root for them again.  They cheap shotted Cutler the same season with a blatant hit to the throat.  Shawn Payton should have been banned for life. 

Just got tickets for the Lions and Giants on December 22 and the Bears Giants on a Thursday night game.  Pumped for the upcoming season.   Did anyone see the Pats yesterday?  Not looking good.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:55 pm »
Jim- I recall the hit and it was brutal and intentional.  The Saints got off easy and I wil never root for them again.  They cheap shotted Cutler the same season with a blatant hit to the throat.

I recall the hit on Warner, too. You are correct that it was brutal and intentional. It was also perfectly legal. In what league would a lineman not block a quarterback, once that quarterback has become a defensive tackle??  :duh:

As for Cutler, are you referring to the game where he was sacked six times? :lol:  The only penalty against the Saint's D in that game was later ruled by the league as incorrect. If I remember correctly, nobody even knew Cutler had been hit in the throat until he used that as an excuse for his piss poor performance.  :thumb:

I'm looking forward to a great new season.

Have fun,

Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:47 pm »
I'm know expert on the rules, but I thought hitting a guy from behind was illegal and that hit came from something like 30 degrees behind Warner looked like to me.   I know you wanna defend your Saints, Jerry, but if it weren't for your bias, that hit would insult your sense of fair play, too, I'd bet a buck.

I've heard that rationale before about a QB becoming a defensive tackle and I'd bet another buck that it didn't come from an objective source.  In other words, whoever said it first, you got to be shitting me.  Warner really looked dangerous out there.  Yeah, right.  He was barely running.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:55 pm »
I'm know expert on the rules, but I thought hitting a guy from behind was illegal and that hit came from something like 30 degrees behind Warner looked like to me.   I know you wanna defend your Saints, Jerry, but if it weren't for your bias, that hit would insult your sense of fair play, too, I'd bet a buck.

No bias here - it was a legal hit. There was no flag, and no fines. Even Warner said it was a legal block.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2013, 04:59 pm »
The refs blew it and Warner is just showing his class.   Btw, Jere, I'll be the Big Easy first week of Dec, wanna hang out?  Used to be a high end store in an old house in Uptown.  Still there?  Come on, man, show me around.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #38 on: 23 Aug 2013, 05:01 pm »
Here's the play. It's clearly a great block by Bobby MCcray.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 23 Aug 2013, 05:06 pm »
Yeah, I guess it was a right angle hit after all.  You got me.  I modified my previous post to include a message to you.